autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I'm very new to detailing. From what I've experienced so far, I think good technique trumps all.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

#11 clearcoat failure - page 39
    #12 past the point of no return - page 39

Mike Phillips

You bothwin a prize!

Quote Originally Posted by Priyaka View Post

Page 37 #11.
    You have the first edition of my how-to book and you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

#11 clearcoat failure - page 39
    #12 past the point of no return - page 39
    You have the second edition of my how-to book and in the second edition I think I added one more catagory so that's why there's a change.

Thanks guys... I'm not behind my desk so it's harder to type and do searching.

I won't be back to the office till Wednesday and at that time I'll process your prizes. I'lll have to see what's on Nick's desk?

Send me a PM with your shipping address.

Post Thanks / Like

Will say the same thing I said on facebook. Paint. Reason being if you know the hardness or softness of the paint that will help you choose what tool product technique and pad to use. Paint I the only thing you can not adjust

Post Thanks / Like

I would originally have said paint, however, Mike stated we have to assume the paint is in such a condition that it can be corrected. With that being said I say technique.

Without proper technique we have all seen the damage that can be inflicted on paint. On the converse, we have all seen the damage corrected with the proper technique.

I'm cheating, I say a combination of all 5!

Post Thanks / Like

Technique trumps product every time. If you have lousy technique then who cares what product you use. It will still be a sub-par polishing detail. If you have excellent technique, then you could use any decent product and still do a great detail. That includes pads, tools and polishing products.

That is if the paint is workable...if not no product or technique will not matter. If there is no clearcoat or beyond workable and needs paint then nothing will work.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard Mike talk about abrasive technology before, so that is my answer.

While proper or good technique helps, the new chemical make up of different compounds and polishes are so forgiving, great results can be had with even poor technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Been think about how to show why I think its paint and well it hit me like pallet of polishers. Anybody see the video of Ammo NYC and the really soft paint on the Porsche? His tool,technique,abrasive technology and pad had to altered to finish out properly. Everything had to be used in a way I was not originally planned to be use cause of the paint. If the paint is the reason all other choices had to altered in some way then the paint is the "most" important factor. Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said on Mike's page, it's 1, 3, and 5 for me personally. I think it depends on who is behind the tool, and how they perceive things, their experience, and their understanding of how to blend all the points.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for abrasive technology.

The reason: I went to a car painter friend of mine (I have quite a few car painters friends), and he was polishing a car with a air powered polisher and some old school compounds, which we here call generically 'polishing pastes'.

I grabbed my Rupes and tried to help him using this old school compound, and there was no way I could get a decent result. No way.

Even him, who has a lot of experience with it, would end up with just a slight better result than me, but then he used the 3m perfect it to cover the swirls and the car was ready in his opinion.

Therefore, I realized that without these newer compounds with a more refined/evolved/matured Abrasive Technology, my work would just and plainly suck.

And probably I would still be doing what I was doing before I went to full time detailing, which is to be a company's import manager.

This is my story, best regards.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast