autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I picked Techique #1, but then contemplated between technique and tool. So Tool would be my strong #2 or could even be #1 if i can pick two. I feel for the most part, someone doesn't need to be an expert on technique. Just someone with experience under their belt can get the job done w/ the right tool. Their technique may not be flawless. Also, technique can change depending on the tool or technology or body shape you're working on. A perfect example would be the tried and true up down, left right section pass when buffing. But, there was a video from Ammo that for cars w/ rounder or challenging body shapes, this method may not work well. Instead, you would go along the body of the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfPaintStains View Post
    I picked Techique #1, but then contemplated between technique and tool. So Tool would be my strong #2 or could even be #1 if i can pick two. I feel for the most part, someone doesn't need to be an expert on technique. Just someone with experience under their belt can get the job done w/ the right tool. Their technique may not be flawless. Also, technique can change depending on the tool or technology or body shape you're working on. A perfect example would be the tried and true up down, left right section pass when buffing. But, there was a video from Ammo that for cars w/ rounder or challenging body shapes, this method may not work well. Instead, you would go along the body of the panel.
    Technique rules the day,IMHO all the things described here fall under the technique category,the technique of knowing when to change technique is still technique.
    #2 for me is a tie for pad and abrasive technology mainly because the must both work in unison to create the desired results
    #3 is paint,,do test spot and that automaticly sets you up pad and abrasive technology
    4 would be tool,, like post 2 said,,Tiger Woods could whip most os with Walmart clubs,,but I am of the opinion of all of these used together is also technique
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Abrasive technology(closest item to the paint)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

I recently tested 6 products with abrasive technology in them for other companies.

5 out of 6 failed. Out of the 6 products, one of them worked pretty well.

I get that most of you guys "think" that technique trumps all but I'm telling you straight-up, the most important factor is abrasive technology. It is the abrasives that are TOUCHING the paint first, not you and your technique.

The picture in this article tells the story...

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be #1 because if you don't know what or how to do the job the tools don't matterPOLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

It has to be #1 because if you don't know what or how to do the job the tools don't matter

I'll stick to the opinion I've expressed here and over and over on this forum.

There are compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes that simply don't use great abrasive technology and it doesn't matter how talented or experienced a person is - no amount of technique thrown at a product is going to make it stop scratching the paint as you work any buffer over a body panel.

But as the poll shows - most people disagree with me. So according to the consensus of others - I'm wrong.

7. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a video Elliot shot while we were at Barrett-Jackson this year.

I get asked to TEST new compounds and polishes for outside companies. Sometimes I give them a good report and sometimes I have bad news for them. I have a protocol I follow that has "controls" in place so all of the results are based upon the abrasives in the product.

I only show products I trust in all my classes and when I play Demo Boy at car shows, like I recently did at Barrett-Jackson, I always use a black demo hood and I only demo products I know and trust 100% have great abrasive technology. Thus I'm able to demo and demo and demo the product and the results are always 100% flawless.

I don't recommend this to others but here LIVE I'm pulling #2000 Grit Sanding Marks out of the factory black paint on a rental car using what I would consider a relatively weak tool. The Finisher is NOT called the BEAST for a reason, it's for FINISHING. I did counter the less aggressive free spinning action by using a foam cutting pad, (broken in), and did this LIVE over and over again for 3 days.

BLACKFIRE uses GREAT abrasive technology.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Its the polishes that have made this easy enough that anyone can polish a car now. I can remember when your compound choices were rocks-in-a-bottle type from 3M, Meguair's and Presta. Then Menzerna PowerGloss came around and that was a huge improvement. I still have a 1/2 a liter of PG, but I think it is terrible now compared to the newer compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed mike, imagine giving giving da Vinci a kids 8 color water color set. Although he might paint to best of his abilities, none would know him as the artist today.

The best mechanic in the world with a 20 piece tool kit from the dollar store? If you had a lift, air compressor and proper tools you would do a better job yourself with a couple of you tube videos.

The “tools” are absolutely more important. Now when you have access to all same tools then the “person/knowledge/experience come into play.

Give Mike some new finish, a sears bonnet polisher and some otc polish or someone less “polished” with a Rupes, boss compounds and polished, clay, iron x, and black fire ceramic coating.... who’s car looks better and more protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast