autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

My good friend Jim Serra bought himself a Christmas present for himself from his wife. The funny part is he hasn't told his wife! Before she sees it in its current dirty and neglected condition I'm going to shine it up for him and then put a pretty Christmas ribbon and bow on it for the reveal.

This car is all original and a fresh barn find out of Minnesota. It has 56,545 miles on it. It's just now broken in!

Here she is right off the car hauler from Minnesota!

The dealership told Jim that normally they wash the cars and have them detailed before they put them up for sale but for this car they just left her alone. (Good thing for Jim)

Mike Phillips

Re: Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

Continued...

Just a pre-warning
    It's not recommended to use Iron X without rinsing the residue off. So for best results, always fallow the manufacturer's directions.

That said, I used a modified technique of using a HEAVY saturation of Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Wash to wash off the residue as I worked around the car. I also used the Tornado Air Blowout Gun WITH a heavy saturation of Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Wash around any trim or emblems to flush the component with waterless wash and then blast out the residue.

Process

Step 1 - Chemically decontaminate the car
    I used a modified technique for Iron X because I wanted to make sure any iron contamination is removed. I sprayed down the body panels with Iron X starting with horizontal panels first and then after they were rinsed clean I moved onto the vertical panels only tackling one side at a time.

Step 2 - Wash car using DP Waterless Auto Wash
    For this I used a super heavy saturation with LOTS of clean microfiber towels to liquefy the Iron X and wipe it plus any and all dirt off the body panels.

Step 3 - Mechanically decontaminate the paint
    For this we used the Porter Cable 7424XP with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads (Medium Grade) and Detailer's Pro Series Universal Clay Lube

Step 4 - Compound paint using SONAX CUTMAX
    For this step we used the SONAX CUTMAX with the Flex 3401 on Speed 6 with 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid Orange Cutting Pads.

Step 5 - Machine polish and wax using SONAX PAINT CLEANER HYBRID NPT
    Next we used the SONAX PAINT CLEANER which is not technically a dedicated paint cleaner but a hi-tech cleaner/sealant.

A cleaner/sealant is like a cleaner/wax in that it will clean, polish and protect in one step only instead of using some type of natural wax ingredient for protection it uses some type of synthetic ingredients for protection.

Rob McCrary at SONAX USA told me that the SONAX PAINT CLEANER had the cutting ability of SONAX Profiline Nano Polish. So this should remove any haze left by the aggressive compounding step while leaving the paint clear, glossy, rich in color and also protected.

For the exterior glass, chrome and stainless steel trim I simply ran over these surfaces using the orange Hybrid cutting pad with the SONAX CUTMAX.

Hubcaps and tires were wiped clean using an all purpose cleaner.

Now on to the pictures...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Steps 1 & 2 were done at the same time as I worked around the various body panels on the car.

Step 1 - Chemically decontaminate the car
    I used a modified technique for Iron X because I wanted to make sure any iron contamination is removed. I sprayed down the body panels with Iron X starting with horizontal panels first and then after they were rinsed clean I moved onto the vertical panels only tackling one side at a time.

Step 2 - Wash car using DP Waterless Auto Wash
    For this I used a super heavy saturation with LOTS of clean microfiber towels to liquefy the Iron X and wipe it plus any and all dirt off the body panels.

This is me saturating the roof with a very wet coat of DP Waterless Wash. This is taking the place of a normal water hose flush. This car does not have working brakes so I can't easily move it in and out of the garage.

I still wanted to chemically decontaminate the paint however so I used this modified technique of using lots of waterless wash to flush the surface and then immediately wipe the residues off the car. And "yes" this technique worked for me. Follow my process at your own judgment.

Using the Tornador Blowout Gun to blow-out iron remover and waterless wash

Clean as a whistle!

Then simply move around the car tackling the vertical panels one at a time.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Step 3 - Mechanically decontaminate the paint
    For this we used the Porter Cable 7424XP with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads (Medium Grade) and Detailer's Pro Series Universal Clay Lube

Step 4 - Compound paint using SONAX CUTMAX
    For this step we used the SONAX CUTMAX with the Flex 3401 on Speed 6 with 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid Orange Cutting Pads.

Step 5 - Machine polish and wax using SONAX PAINT CLEANER HYBRID NPT
    Next we used the SONAX PAINT CLEANER which is not technically a dedicated paint cleaner but a hi-tech cleaner/sealant.

The above are the only pictures taken of us working on the car. I took the above pictures of Jim the owner working the Porter Cable. The plan was to have anyone walking through the Show Car Garage to take some pictures but everyone is working so fast and furious in the warehouse with the Christmas rush that no one came out to the garage. So you just have to accept that we did what I said we did.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Finished!

Here's the after shots or what I like to call the beauty shots! Near as we can tell this is the original factory paint.

Looks like a new car!
    In fact, everyone that looks at and comments on this car says she looks brand new.

Mike Phillips

Couple of comments...

The CUTMAX cuts without dusting. Seems to cut fast and smooth.

The Paint Cleaner also buffs very smooth and wipes off super easy and I think the pictures above scream loud and clear about the gloss and shine.

The Flex 3401 is BEAST. That's actually how I sign my book, "How to use the Flex 3401 for Production and Show Car Detailing".

With the Flex 3401 I was able to power through the compound step grinding off decades of aged paint. There was actually a uniform dirt stain over the entire car, paint, glass and metal trim so I compounded everything and this changed the color of the blue and white paint to make it vibrant again and it also restored clarity to the glass as well as brilliance to the chrome and stainless steel trim.

The Hybrid pads are a match made in heaven for the Flex 3401 so if you have a Flex and want the best pads then get Lake Country Hybrid pads.

The DP Waterless Autowash is my go-to waterless wash for cleaning up muscle cars, classics and antiques because as a practice and a professional courtesy to the owner, I NEVER introduce running water to these types of cars.

The DP Universal Clay Lube works with any form of mechanical decontamination.

The Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a Porter Cable 7424XP obliterate any type of above surface bonded contaminants to leave a clean, smooth surface perfect for compounding.

Products used

On Autogeek.com

SONAX CUTMAX Cutting Compound

SONAX PAINT CLEANER

DP Waterless Auto Wash

DP Universal Clay Lube

Iron X - Iron Remover

Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads - Medium Grade

Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid Pads

Flex 3401 Gear Driven Orbital Polisher

Mike Phillips

The car with the SQUARE steering wheel

One thing that is really unique about this car is that it has a squarish or rectangular shaped steering wheel.

Check it out...

Wild!

1961 Plymouth Fury!

8. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! As always, great job Mike! Bet it was a really fun project with all the quirky challenges!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking ride, I should have hung around another week to see this. I don't think Jim will end up in the dog house over this purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work Mike!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast