autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Mike, great article!
    Quick question - I have a customer who wants rock chip repair completed on the front bumper and the hood. I will also be doing a full correction on the car as well.

I was planning on using the Dr. Colorchip system. Would I do this first after washing and decontaminating the vehicle and then wait for it to dry then start correcting the paint? Or would I do the entire correction first then apply Dr. Colorchip prior to LSP?

Hope that is not a silly question!
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Mike, great article!
    Quick question - I have a customer who wants rock chip repair completed on the front bumper and the hood. I will also be doing a full correction on the car as well.

I was planning on using the Dr. Colorchip system. Would I do this first after washing and decontaminating the vehicle and then wait for it to dry then start correcting the paint? Or would I do the entire correction first then apply Dr. Colorchip prior to LSP?

Hope that is not a silly question!
    So this is what happens when you dont fully read. You answered my question in your intro paragraph! lol
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post

So this is what happens when you dont fully read.

You answered my question in your intro paragraph! lol

Good or bad... when I write an article I try to cover all the bases.

I think through all the questions I would have if I was interested in a topic and then answer them in detail. (no pun intended)

How did it turn out?

Post Thanks / Like

I swear I am the only one having problems with this system.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For the user who not only wants to hide the chip but also correct the surface imperfection, could you still apply the traditional touch-up paint method with this product? I'm referring to slowly building upon the "crater" until a slight crown of paint is formed, then sanding the crown to level the surface and finish with a compound/polish.

If you're asking, "Why not just purchase the traditional touch-up paint for that method?", it appears that the touch-up paint applicator from the dealer does not match the OEM paint well for my car based on complaints from other users. Users on the forums have said that Dr. ColorChip's paint matches exactly.

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For the user who not only wants to hide the chip but also correct the surface imperfection, could you still apply the traditional touch-up paint method with this product? I'm referring to slowly building upon the "crater" until a slight crown of paint is formed, then sanding the crown to level the surface and finish with a compound/polish.

If you're asking, "Why not just purchase the traditional touch-up paint for that method?", it appears that the touch-up paint applicator from the dealer does not match the OEM paint well for my car based on complaints from other users. Users on the forums have said that Dr. ColorChip's paint matches exactly.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Robopredinator View Post

Yes to the first part of the process you describe.

Probably "no" to the second part of the process you describe.

The thing that's hard about sanding down the touch up paint blob is that the touch up paint will sand EASY. If you get any sanding marks in the FACTORY paint, well it's HARD and it will be HARD to sand the sanding marks out of the factory paint.

About 99.9% of the time when someone tries this when they try to buff out the sanding marks they buff them out of the touch-up paint and then in order to buff the sanding marks out of the factory paint they CONTINUE BUFFING and then heat up all the paint and then the buffing pad will YANK the blob of paint off of the car.

Now you're back to where you started only you still have the sanding marks in the paint surrounding the blob. What will happen if you continue to try this is you will turn a mole hill into a mountain.

A better idea is to lower your expectations, fill in the chip and walk away.

I actually show this and explain this in the article that is the first page of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool product. It works like a pro. BTW, if you have a windshield chip, please check out SPAM LINK REMOVED the most trusted windshield chip repair kit brand.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by genuineV2 View Post
    Cool product. It works like a pro. BTW, if you have a windshield chip, please check out Best Windshield Repair Kit | Whindshield Chip Repair Kits | Crack Eraser, the most trusted windshield chip repair kit brand.

Wow!

Your first post to our forum and you SPAM us!

See ya....

10. Likes yakky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you with multiple vehicles you can buy just a small bottle of paint at the Dr Colorchip website. I found this out after buying 3 complete kits. It’s a good way to save some cash.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast