autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Do you follow up with SealAct on the large paint chips to smooth it out, or just leave them be?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

Do you think Dr. ColorChip would work on this? I don't need it to look perfect, would just like to somewhat match the repaired area to the surrounding paint.

Great question Frank...

The touch-up paint will definitely stick to the body panel so by this expectation the Dr. ColorChip system will work.

The key aspect about the Dr. ColorChip system has to do with fixing small chips or voids in the paint where after you apply the touch -up paint, you're going to smear the paint so it's flat with the rest of the surface.

This aspect avoids the cursed BLOB that everyone hates.

The other key aspect of the Dr. ColorChip system is using a FLAT cloth to wipe the SealAct over the surface. The chemical dissolves the excess paint and because the cloth is FLAT the fibers don't go down into the depressed area and pull out the touch-up paint in the chipped area.

That bold part is important. Anyone reading this make sure you understand what I'm saying to grasp the idea of how the system works.

It's really a well thought out system approach.

With the defect you're showing, because the damage is not a depressed area like a chip in the paint but missing paint off of a high, rounded corner. There's no way to rub the flat cloth over it and NOT also touch the touch-up paint at the same time like you could fixing a rock chip in the paint.

Kind of hard to describe using a keyboard, it would be much easier to explain live in front of people.

So will this kit work for you?

Yes, the touch-up paint will match and cover the area missing paint. Will it work like it was intended to fix rock chips "in" the paint? Not exactly.

3. Likes 6od liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by binly View Post

Do you follow up with SealAct on the large paint chips to smooth it out, or just leave them be?

Another great question....

In this example, Mitch took his car home and opened the hood and blocked it open using a bucket to get the area where that HUGE rock chip was to be level.

Once the chipped area was level Mitch added more touch up paint, a little at a time till the chipped are was level with the surrounding paint.

As long as he was careful there would be no reason to wipe the area but if needed he could.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

this look promising

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent write-up Mike and good timing as I was going to order some Dr. ColorChip soon for a couple of cars that need some touch up.

I have this situation on one of the cars, it's larger than a rock chip.

Do you think Dr. ColorChip would work on this? I don't need it to look perfect, would just like to somewhat match the repaired area to the surrounding paint.
    I've seen the mobile chip repair guys fix damage like that using an airbrushing technique. It seemed to work very well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it could make a good job on dodge tricoat paint? (Red)

I have 2-3 stone chip on my hood that i want to get off

Mike Phillips

Hi Steve,

Since this is your first post to our forum....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Corbeil View Post

Do you think it could make a good job on dodge tricoat paint? (Red)

I have 2-3 stone chip on my hood that i want to get off

Yes if your expectations are,

After applying the touch-up paint and you stand back about 5' and look at your car you don't see a white spot where the chip used to be and the car has a uniform red paint job.

If you expect to be able to look at the finish with a microscope and there's zero signs of any previous damage from a rock chip then "no". You would probably be happier to pay for a new paint job. The avoid getting any more rock chips are you'll be in a catch-22 situation.

This rock chip repair kit works really well. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't type it on a public forum. I have too many years in the car detailing industry to risk my reputation promoting a kit that doesn't work.

Here's what I've been saying and typing about rock chip repair for years now...

You can make rock chip repair as simple as possible or as complicated as possible but what I've learned over the years is for most people,

More and more work doesn't equal better and better results.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

From post #2 of this thread,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Three simple steps!
    Here is a list of the steps you want to follow in this order, below this list I'll go over each step with pictures.

Step 1 - Use IPA or Isopropyl Alcohol with a clean, microfiber towels and gently clean the rock chipped area as best you can. Feel free to improvise for example use a Q-tip swab to really get into the chip and wipe it clean. It's important to have a clean surface for the touch-up paint to adhere.

Step 2 - Shake up the bottle of touch-up paint to ensure a uniform paint mixture. Then after selecting the appropriate brush, dip the end of the brush into the touch-up paint and dab the paint into the rock chip. After dabbing the paint into the rock chip, use the side of your thumb to lightly wipe over the chipped area and thus level the surface by smearing any excess paint onto the paint surrounding the rock chip.

Step 3 - Use the SealAct blending solution with the included flat surface microfiber towel to wipe off the excess touch-up paint.

Done.

Move on with whatever else you have to do in life.

Chances are if the car you're working on is a a DAILY DRIVER, that is you drive it to work every day, then chances are very good you're going to get more rock chips in the future.

If you want to make them go away visually, then you need a "system" that is fast and easy.

This system is fast and easy and Dr. ColorChip does a great job of providing touch-up paint that matches the color of your car's paint.

Like my buddy Matt Steele always says,

It can't get any easier than this!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Dr color chip system. I've used it 4 times now and it makes chips a lot more bearable without dropping serious money on a respray. I've also used it on some very deep scratches and also like chips it doesn't make it perfect but it drastically reduces the appearance of it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything

Its my everyday drive, so i dont want a perfect-just-like-new but i dont like the white dots, so i think i will give drcolorchip a try

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Corbeil View Post
    Thanks for everything

Its my everyday drive, so i don't want a perfect-just-like-new but i dont like the white dots, so i think i will give drcolorchip a try

Thanks!

Steve I know you'll like it.

The first time I watched this system used I was amazed. It was by a guy doing touch-up to a black Tahoe and it really did a good job.

I have a custom paint job on my truck, I don't know the color code and there's no way of finding it.

I'm going to see if Bill McLean at Dr. ColorChip can make me some touch-up paint so I can use this system on my own truck.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast