autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Post Thanks / Like

Were I live we usally prewash with an alkaline based products. When diluted proberly it is not so hard on the protection. It's a way to break down the road grime in an early fase. The products has a high ph value as undiluted but when you dilution is in the summertime 1:40 it's most for bugs and roadgrime. In the winter when roads are salted the dilution is 1:20 to desolve it and roadgrime. The ph is'nt so high that it do so much damage to the protection. Protection is sealants and coatings that stand up good to it. But wax is more sensitive to it and often does not handle it. It's the chemicals in the alkaline product that's do so you can wash of most of the roadgrime. And we use power washer to rinse it away and not touch the paint but for the 2bm wash. In the winter when needed we use a solvent based degreaser as most tar remover is. After you rinsed the alkaline you apply the tar remover. The thought is that alkaline product breaks down the grime that comes from above earth materials and the tar remover breaks down grime that comes from under the earth materials. It's like a light decon wash without iron removal you do when you wash. You don't get all the grime that bonds to the paint but you reduce it very much. And I think you get more out of the sealants and coatings water behavior since the paint is cleaner for a longer time. But you lose around 10-20% of it's longevity that the manufactury claims and that I think is rather good. Citrus based prewash is a milder way to break down the road grime and for most times get both the alkaline and solvent based degreaser grimes they got breaked down.

Post Thanks / Like

What the hell is in all of this road grime everyone is talking about!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    But are they coating safe I wonder?

I could do an experiment come spring. I plan to redo mine anyways. I want to order and try the Auto Finesse Citrus Clean, unfortunatly shipping through amazon(not prime) is $2 more then the product is...coming a long way I suppose.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

If you had a car you didn’t care tremendously about. You could try TSP as a pre soak. I haven’t done it but I can’t imagine it being terribly harmful if diluted properly. It’s used on all kinds of cleaning jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

From a scientific side I do not know. What I think is random pollution in the air and residue from the cars such as fumes from exhaust and tires and brakes and from the road it self that mix up to a stubborn gunk that stats and bonds in the paint. On top of that you have when it's raining and then dries a whole lot of minerals. And the cars that comes from different dirty places by the roads and then get up to speed and release that dirt to the road. The next cars that drivers thrue it release some of the dirt up from the road to the air. You drive thrue this most of the time you drive. Look at cars that is parked beside a road for a longer time that it's high traffic and a higher speed limit. On there is typical road grime a grayish coat almost black. Or just don't wash your DD for a year that it's uncoated and now you have road grime all over the car with alot of other dirt.
    I think if you remove as much as you can with chemicals you get more of the road grime away from your car. Yes you will get your protection away a little faster but better that then have to polish your car more often and clay it more. And why do you protect your car? IMO it's for protect the clearcoat from embedded grime. That sits to your protection instead. I don't think it's just for the shine and gloss you wax seal or coat it.

Post Thanks / Like

At Mike explained, it is primarily oil based lubricants and fuels from the roadways. When it rains, this getting picked up by the water and thus ends up on your car. Water evaporates, oil and grime stays behind. Nasty stuff if left sitting for awhile.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

8. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

I guess over the years of washing cars since the early to mid 1980's I always thought that when I washed the car whatever was on the car all came off, even more so in the years of being here with better products being used, who knew
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post

At Mike explained, it is primarily oil based lubricants and fuels from the roadways. When it rains, this getting picked up by the water and thus ends up on your car. Water evaporates, oil and grime stays behind. Nasty stuff if left sitting for awhile.

Great summary!

Look for the link to this article in my glass cleaner review tomorrow.

Mike Phillips

I guess over the years of washing cars since the early to mid 1980's I always thought that when I washed the car whatever was on the car all came off

Nope - as the pictures show and my years of experience, road film IMPACTS onto the paint and actually, all the outside surfaces.

12. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast