autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint

NOTE: The paint on this car is single stage BUT it's a MODERN single stage urethane paint which is like modern clearcoated cars and as such is a perfect candidate for a high tech paint coating.

Forum member Eric aka ekennett stopped by Autogeek today while he was in town as he asked if he could test out the Flex 3401 and the Rupes Bigfoot polishers. So I have this 1932 Ford Phaeton in the studio for some work and I let him test these two polishers out on the hood of the hotrod.

After testing the polishers I let him test out the Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish by hand and machine, followed by the Detailer’s Paint Coating.

He said he would chime in later with this thoughts and I'll post some more pictures later but here's a few shots of some of the action taking place at AGO today...

Eric, aka ekennett just finished polishing the hood. Eric tried out the Flex 3401 optimized and the Rupes Bigfoot 21 optimized and I think he chose and purchased the Flex 3401 before leaving today.

Eric using the Flex 3401 Optimized and also with the Wolfgang Twins

Eric using the Rupes Bigfoot 21 Optimized and also with Rupes pads and polishes

Ceramic Coating on Single Stage URETHANE Paint

He also tried out the new Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish and Detailer’s Paint Coating on this SINGLE STAGE Urethane paint system he just polished.

Eric applying Detailer's Coating Prep Polish by hand

Eric applying Detailer's Coating Prep Polish by machine

Eric dampening a clean, dry gold Finger Pocket with Detailer’s Paint Coating

Gently applying the coating...

Glassy looking...

Thanks for your help today Eric, I hope you had fun testing out the Rupes and Flex polishers as well as the new products from Detailer's Pro Series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mike for taking time out of your day to work with me for a little bit. I enjoyed working on this car and it will probably help me in the future selling myself to show car owners that might be apprehensive about letting someone they don't know touch their baby :-p. The new coatings seem very promising and I picked them all up along with my new polisher to use on my own cars as well as being an up sell to clients. You guys have a fantastic operation there and I don't think I've ever felt so taken care of as a customer. Nick, great to meet you too, thanks for taking some time and chatting with me about the new coatings!

Sent from my Transformer using AG Online
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Thank you Mike for taking time out of your day to work with me for a little bit. I enjoyed working on this car and it will probably help me in the future selling myself to show car owners that might be apprehensive about letting someone they don't know touch their baby :-p.
    You're very welcome and you're right about breaking through the wall of apprehension when it comes to earning the trust of a street rod owner to let anyone "touch their baby".

As you saw first hand, even though this is a cool street rod, the paint is completely swirled out and contaminated.

I'll post pictures of the swirls and the gunk on the clay later today.

The new coatings seem very promising and I picked them all up along with my new polisher to use on my own cars as well as being an up sell to clients.
    I agree. I have some new product to test out, that's another reason I brought this car in but when I'm done the entire finish will be coated with the new Detailer's Paint Coating and I'll coat the glass with the glass coating.

You guys have a fantastic operation there and I don't think I've ever felt so taken care of as a customer. Nick, great to meet you too, thanks for taking some time and chatting with me about the new coatings!

Thanks for fitting us into your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great ride ! Lovely results . Congrats to you guys .

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride.

Do you toss the pocket applicators or can they be reused?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post

Wow great ride ! Lovely results . Congrats to you guys .
    Sure is fun to drive. Keep in mind, we only buffed the hood and cleaned and polished the tires.

I'm testing some new beta products for a company and doing the actual buff-out tomorrow so I can fill out the report and get the feedback to the company. Biggest reason I chose this car is because I thought the people at the company would like seeing their products tested on a Special Interest Vehicle instead of a disposable new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Nice ride.

Do you toss the pocket applicators or can they be reused?

I re-wash them in a normal washing machine and use them for something NON-paint related surfaces like applying tire dressing.

The biggest reason why is because the coating hardens if you don't wash them immediately and then you still probably won't have a foam that was as soft before using the coating.

I guess a guy could IMMEDIATELY take and really wash them well by SQUISHING them aggressively in your hand under running water with a strong cleaner of some type while wearing safety gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I re-wash them in a normal washing machine and use them for something NON-paint related surfaces like applying tire dressing.

The biggest reason why is because the coating hardens if you don't wash them immediately and then you still probably won't have a foam that was as soft before using the coating.
    Thanks. That is what I assumed so not worth the effort in time/chemicals to even try.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Just to make it very clear....

The paint on this car is single stage BUT it's a MODERN single stage urethane paint which is like modern clearcoated cars and as such is a perfect candidate for a high tech paint coating.

Also, anyone new to paint coatings, the DP Paint Coating, now called McKee's 37 Paint Coating is the easiest paint coating on the market to use in my experience and besides creating the GLASSY look everyone loves it also leaves the paint feeling very slick which is also something everyone loves.

If you're new to paint coatings I'd highly recommend this paint coating.

McKee's 37 Paint Coating

Note you must chemically strip paint before using any coating to insure an oil and contaminant free surface. Below is the companion product for McKee's 37 Paint Coating and you can apply this by hand or using any simple dual action polisher with a soft foam wax pad.

McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish

Mike Phillips

***BUMP***

There's a difference between modern single stage URETHANE paint and old school solvent-evaporation single stage laquer and enamel paint system.

You can apply a ceramic paint coating to a modern single stage urethane paint system like you see in this thread but due to the porosity of old school lacquers and enamels, I don't know of any company that makes or recommends a coating for these paints.

The "issue" is normally because they tend to be more porous than a modern paint, if you chemically strip them with some type of solvent you will dull the paint down.

Also, old school paints like oily product like the Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze. If you apply the #7 to an old school paint job then it doesn't make sense to CHEMICALLY STRIP the paint as this would be working backwards in the process.

I'm not saying you cannot apply a ceramic paint coating to an old school single stage paint job but the normal practice to apply a ceramic paint coating is to prep the paint for the coating and if the paint has any type of oily substance worked into it, then it could hinder the bonding and thus the performance of the coating.

A modern urethane paint system is very non-porous like a clearcoat, thus there's no place for oils to penetrate so it can be chemically stripped.

Kind of a hard topic to explain but I wanted to share this tidbit of info because I know first hand there is confusing in the industry about coating porous surfaces.

We did apply a ceramic paint coating to a porous gel-coat boat at our last two boat detailing classes and before applying the coating we did chemically strip the gel-coat. So "yes" it can be done.

Longevity is one reason for coating a gel-coat boat.

When talking about coating antique, single stage lacquers and enamels, in most cases I'm aware of, longevity is not the goal from a protection point of view because most any car in the year 2018 (as I type this), that still has the original single stage paint, is probably something COOL and thus something always kept under cover like in a garage.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips