autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to do a before and after of a new truck I bought, the CCV is routed in the air intake and oil comes out slowly from the intercooler boots post turbo. What a mess if you don't clean the engine regularly.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Planning on doing this next week (rain this weekend ). Do you think the blue painters tape will work for this? I've got a ton of it. Lol

Nice write-up Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean an engine compartment

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    It's a shame that most newer luxury (and even base) cars have engine bays that are so completely covered with plastic panels. You can't even see my engine without removing several plastic pieces.
    Too True! Sometimes i feel like an engine detail isnt an engine detail anymore.

Plus certain newer engine compartments look much more fragile than the older ones.

Ive asked severl clients if they want their engine bays detailed and they say "what for its covered" it kinda makes me chuckle

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post

I cleaned my engine a few weeks back, love the results after cleaning.

Before

After

Pictures look good. Keep some quick detailer or a trim coating like Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant handy and every time you pop the hood to check the oil give everything a quick wipe.

I do this for Stacy's Honda and it keeps it looking new and is fast to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Planning on doing this next week (rain this weekend ).

Do you think the blue painters tape will work for this? I've got a ton of it. Lol

Nice write-up Mike!

Thanks and "yes", the blue painter's tape is more than adequate for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by beachkidcb View Post

Too True! Sometimes i feel like an engine detail isnt an engine detail anymore.

Plus certain newer engine compartments look much more fragile than the older ones.

Ive asked severl clients if they want their engine bays detailed and they say "what for its covered" it kinda makes me chuckle

Kind of weird huh? Pop the hood and there's nothing to see except a big hunk of plastic covering everything.

Makes it simple to clean up and keep looking good. The key is to find a product you like for this type of maintenance and use it often.

"Frequent car care is easy and fast car care"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeak View Post
    Mike-
    I dont have a pic with me, but with a 2013 bmw 3 sedan or a 2006 highlander hybrid, both of which have an engine compartment with a lot of plastic. Will I do any damage if I just spray APC and rinse?
    As a former "Mr. Goodwrench", may I suggest that if you're wondering what would be best to cover up in your engine compartment that you go to the dealer and talk to a technician and ask him to point out what to be careful with. They know best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tswitz View Post
    As a former "Mr. Goodwrench", may I suggest that if you're wondering what would be best to cover up in your engine compartment that you go to the dealer and talk to a technician and ask him to point out what to be careful with. They know best
    An excellent suggestion. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tswitz View Post

That's great advice and I'm sure if a person is patient, polite and nice they can get permission to talk to a knowledgeable technician that will know where any and all sensitive components are located.

I actually don't like detailing engines other than,

• My own stuff - If I break it I can fix it.

• Cosmetic Detailing - This can be done with simple spray-on, wipe-off products and a pile of microfiber towels. Less water = less risk.

But along the train of thought in your answer, years ago I wrote this little recommendation to help out forum savvy people wanting to clean and detail their engine compartments.

How to use a Discussion Forum to Detail an Engine

And I still stand by it today as a great first step for most people.

Post Thanks / Like

As it happens I was at the dealer today and had the tech show me what to protect. Pretty simple actually but...he didn't like the idea of even taking a garden hose to the engine compartment and cringed when I told him my plan. He much preferred Mike's Cosmetic Detailing procedure over a hose, though a light mist (standing back from the compartment) from a regular hose seemed to finally past muster. He warned against using a pressure washer under any circumstances.

So since I just completed a thorough cleaning with water, my plan going forward will be to clean the reachable parts cosmetically with APC & a towel and once a year do a thorough "wet" cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never use a water hose since I got it clean, not I give it a good wipe down each month using my QD.
    Always worried I'd cause damage even though Toyota said its safe to use water on my RAV4.
    Just can't miss a month because then it would become more difficult to get it back clean.
    I use my steamer around the areas that or dirty,like around the valve cover
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Did my first engine this afternoon, Mikes guide really helped out, as do all his threads! Here is the before shot

and After:

I started by taping off the vehicle

I the used my leaf blower (car dryer), to blow all the debris, and loose dirt from the engine, then got a small brush in there to really help clean it out. I then turned to my Simple Green APC and heavily sprayed the product everywhere.

Then i grabbed some misc brushes and towels i have laying around and sent at it, scrubbing everything after 10-15 minutes, i kept the product wet with my pressure washer, once I was satisfied with the result, i sprayed the whole compartment down, and used the dryer to blow all the free standing water out. I turned to my Black Wow, and wiped the compartment down.

I'm pleased with the results, and got over my fear of soaking the engine compartment down. As always, i can't thank you folks enough for all the great information and knowledge i have gained here on the forum!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast