autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Mike, brilliant work on the dead paint. Why so many products must be used on old single stage paint?

I thought such paints only need lambswool bonnet, polishing (not hard abrasive but medium or light) with machine & then wax with machine (very soft pad) or by hand.

I made it once on much older car Cadillac 1956 & that car was 10Y in the outside parking in Tel-Aviv, sun & rain for 120 months. I think if I would use just this 1 product (medium polish with carnauba wax in 1 product, nanotechnology) on 1972 Mercedes, results would be no worse than yours using many products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharkpolitur View Post
    Mike, brilliant work on the dead paint. Why so many products must be used on old single stage paint?
    I thought such paints only need lambswool bonnet, polishing (not hard abrasive but medium or light) with machine & then wax with machine (very soft pad) or by hand.
    I made it once on much older car Cadillac 1956 & that car was 10Y in the outside parking in Tel-Aviv, sun & rain for 120 months. I think if I would use just this 1 product (medium polish with carnauba wax in 1 product, nanotechnology) on 1972 Mercedes, results would be no worse than yours using many products.
    Depends on how much time you want to put into it, what kind of money you want to spend, and what kind of results you expect to get. It's all about matching your services to your customer's needs.

KISS Detail - Extreme Makeover - Toyota Highlander
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Mike Phillips

Whatever works for you is what I want you to use. If you're happy then I'm happy.

The reason I use the #7 first is fully explained here if you want to read the article.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Here's the key paragraph notice the word important...

What to do
    If preserving the original paint is important to you then the first thing you want to do is condition the paint before working on it. Most people just jump right in and start rubbing some type of abrasive compound over old, dry, fragile paint and this will remove a lot of paint quickly and possible remove too much. Instead, take the extra step of conditioning the paint and bring it back to life with product that's been around since cars and thus car paints have been around.

And I'm 100% positive had I taken a wool buffing pad on a rotary buffer to Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson it would have removed so much paint there would be primer showing everywhere.

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

This car has the original paint it it was IMPORTANT to Wayne to preserve and protect it as he did not want to repaint this car.

It's hard to see in this picture here but where the yellow outline box is there's a thin spot showing black primer.

Here's the same spot from a picture I took with my iphone...

Close up cropped out of the original...

I take great care in restoring original paint on other people's classics.

But each person can find what works for them and go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! That hood came out amazing!!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Whatever works for you is what I want you to use. If you're happy then I'm happy.

The reason I use the #7 first is fully explained here if you want to read the article.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Here's the key paragraph notice the word important...

What to do
    If preserving the original paint is important to you then the first thing you want to do is condition the paint before working on it. Most people just jump right in and start rubbing some type of abrasive compound over old, dry, fragile paint and this will remove a lot of paint quickly and possible remove too much. Instead, take the extra step of conditioning the paint and bring it back to life with product that's been around since cars and thus car paints have been around.

And I'm 100% positive had I taken a wool buffing pad on a rotary buffer to Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson it would have removed so much paint there would be primer showing everywhere.

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

This car has the original paint it it was IMPORTANT to Wayne to preserve and protect it as he did not want to repaint this car.

It's hard to see in this picture here but where the yellow outline box is there's a thin spot showing black primer.

Here's the same spot from a picture I took with my iphone...

Close up cropped out of the original...

I take great care in restoring original paint on other people's classics.

But each person can find what works for them and go for it!

Dear Mike, I seen in your link where you checked paint thickness on the 1954 Hudson Hornet, the one was 2.6mm the other 1.8mm is it before & after or only some area where paint was thicker?
    You know in Israel to paint a single stage classic cost a fortune, can be 7,000-10,000$ per car Caddy or Hudson size when using the original paint formula, new/old paint.
    I would like to know how much it cost in USA to paint such cars from the 50's with original paint? I ask it because in my opinion if for the car owner the original look is very important, why they polish their cars instead of just giving them a new life with new/old paint? It comes to price for the new paint, or there is another reason they polish instead of paint? I think the only reason is the price, because if I had to chose: renew old dead paint for 500$ (this is about price in Israel for a single stage paint to be polished, waxed, chrome made & all exterior renovation) or paint the exactly the same, original paint, I of course would chose to paint Hudson Hornet, no polish can be compared to new, original paint.
    So what is the price in USA to paint such cars (only the original paint), I think it's much less than 7,000-10,000$ in Israel.
    My other question: How much it cost in USA to detail a new cars & old cars?
    In Israel people who use only the best car care products charge for new cars 200$-400$ for old cars (the market is very, very small for such old cars here, you barely see once a month some Cadillac will pass by, to see old Rolls-Royce or Hudson Hornet one must wait years) 400$-800$ because they are double in size & so much chrome compared to new cars. I use only the most expensive products (most) come direct from suppliers in Europe through I made contacts at Automechanika Exhibition in Frankfurt am Main (Mike if you will be there in 2014 I would like to meet you) but others use the cheapest Turtle Wax, Car Magic, Formula1, ArmorAll, STP, CarPlan etc. very rare to see even Sonax.
    Meguiar's, Menzerna, Wolfgang's (they are available here) you won't see in any car wash (most polish&wax is made at car washes here), people who buy such higher quality products are car enthusiasts, pioneers.
    I use only the best & most expensive products from Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Finland some UK & USA because I love what I do, I can't imagine using Turtle Wax in this oval box like shoe cream on a new 2K clear coat, but this is a standard here.
    You say lambswool pad can't be used on old paint? But only the finishing/waxing pad (black, blue) is softer than lambswool? You mean even at low speed polishing machine it can't be used? Why?
    Look here is one of the companies I buy from them, there is instruction in the video about single stage paint by using medium polish & wax in 1 product (nano) & exactly lambswool pad: look 4min20sec
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n50d2aAQZAU

Mike Phillips

Dear Mike,

Hey I just found this post, no time today to answer but I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you apply coatings or sealants to single stage paint?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bossprod View Post

Can you apply coatings or sealants to single stage paint?

You can with DP Paint Coating. Here's an example on this old 2-door Ford....

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible work, simply Beautiful! Thank you for this information on your technique.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm "restoring" the original paint on my 1972 metallic blue Datsun 240z survivor. I will be using the Meguiars #7 24-hour soak process outlined in your comprehensive article - by hand. (great article, by the way)

One question: are you saying to use one microfiber towel to apply and polish the #7? Is it one towel for the entire process of 4 applications, or one towel per panel? One towel to apply and another to polish/remove?

Thanks for the help. It's only original once and I don't want to make any mistakes!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast