autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post

To Mike, how many applications of Meguiar's #7 were done?

2 coats.

One on Tuesday night, this was a heavy and wet application applied using the cotton wash cloths from my hotel.

Removed it Wednesday morning and the re-applied again, wet and heavy.

The guys I was training though I was crazy Wednesday night but Wednesday morning after wiping the first application off and seeing the green turn a deep, dark, richer green color they were impressed and all done without abrasives.

After we applied the second coat we let her soak and dove in on the Ferrari F430 followed by the 1957 Corvette and after both of these were finished we removed the second application of #7 and started in with machine AND hand polishing with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

I rubbed the entire hood and tops of fenders out by hand while I let Darius and Brandon machine polish the rest of the car. The hood and the tops of the front fenders had incredibly thin paint, 2.0 mils and less...

Just to note, with thin paint like this Hudson had, the oils in the #7 will migrate "throughout" it fairly easily as there's not much paint to migrate into...

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool car and amazing turn around.

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 on this mate .

Post Thanks / Like

Any more on the full write up of the Hudson?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Any more on the full write up of the Hudson?

No time lately, lots of new projects behind the scenes. Fear not, I have all the pictures to for a full write-up.

It's all timing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    2 coats.

One on Tuesday night, this was a heavy and wet application applied using the cotton wash cloths from my hotel.

Removed it Wednesday morning and the re-applied again, wet and heavy.

The guys I was training though I was crazy Wednesday night but Wednesday morning after wiping the first application off and seeing the green turn a deep, dark, richer green color they were impressed and all done without abrasives.

After we applied the second coat we let her soak and dove in on the Ferrari F430 followed by the 1957 Corvette and after both of these were finished we removed the second application of #7 and started in with machine AND hand polishing with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

I rubbed the entire hood and tops of fenders out by hand while I let Darius and Brandon machine polish the rest of the car. The hood and the tops of the front fenders had incredibly thin paint, 2.0 mils and less...

Just to note, with thin paint like this Hudson had, the oils in the #7 will migrate "throughout" it fairly easily as there's not much paint to migrate into...

Thanks Mike.
    I'm going to start again on my black 57 and do two coats, followed by polishing the roof with a black pad and System One (because I have it and I'm used to it) on the roof, and then jewel with the gold pad and PO85RD the whole car, followed by Poorboys Black Hols and Chemical Guys E-zyme. If I don't get satisfactory scratch removal on the roof after the test spot, I will use the white pad. I already hand polished the whole car once with System One and a cotton polishing pad. I then finessed the whole car with the black and gold pads after I got my Flex, to make the gloss more uniform. The paint is original lacquer, and some parts, like the doors and fenders, are thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    No time lately, lots of new projects behind the scenes. Fear not, I have all the pictures to for a full write-up.

It's all timing...

Thanks Mike. No push or shove intended on my end. With so many posts on this site it's easy to loose track of something....thought maybe I just plain missed it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car! It looks great!
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job, Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Smashing job Mr. Phillips.

My father-in-law had a Hudson Hornet and still is a big fan of them. He's even got me interested in them.

I have to wonder though with that paint being so thin, how long will that shine last? Obviously, there's lots of variables to consider. What I mean is, how long will that shine last without eventually rubbing through the paint making the car a candidate for a repaint? Or, is it possible that with continued use of good ol' #7, when needed, that paint can be maintained? I'm leaning in the camp, and this is just a hunch from using #7 over the years, that M07 with it's flooding oils can keep this paint in pristine shape for years to come...in the right hands...or is a good high quality show car wax like the pinnacle sovereign capable of keeping the paint that nice?
    Bill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast