autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

If im correct, the 1959 hornet was extremely popular in nascar for its speed.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Hudsons were the NASCAR manufacturer's champ from '52 thru '54. Their flathead 6 cyl was pretty big for the times (308 cubes IIRC), but their "stepdown" frame gave Hudons a lower center of gravity than most of the other cars of the day. Not to mention there was a bit of unofficial factory support, making heavier-duty parts available to racers.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately 1957 was the last year for Hudson, the step down era is my personal favorite

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely stunning piece of antique machinery! The customer is clearly absolutely thrilled with the results. Something I love to see! Great job Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by parkerslade View Post
    Absolutely stunning piece of antique machinery! The customer is clearly absolutely thrilled with the results. Something I love to see! Great job Mike!

Thank you.

And "yes", Wayne did appreciate the results as this car is very important to him and the last thing he wanted was to have to repaint it.

After saving this paint job he's going to have his guy use the same technique on this old Stutz...

I'll see if Wayne or one of his guys can send me a picture down the road after the work is done...

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy owns the Hudson that was in the movie PORKIES 1 and was filmed in North Miami Beach FL. complete with bullet holes and a BIG BLOCK CHEVY.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Suprising how companies like Tucker and Hudson had so much innovation, but went out of business. A tucker could get 35 mpg cruising at around 70 miles per hour. Pretty good for the time
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the car was made to look like a rocket ship as the Cold war had just really picked up at this time
    Bill 1234

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Surprising how companies like Tucker and Hudson had so much innovation, but went out of business. A tucker could get 35 mpg cruising at around 70 miles per hour. Pretty good for the time
    There's a lot of theories about why they didn't make it. I'd recommend the movie...

Tucker: The Man and His Dream

I bet the car was made to look like a rocket ship as the Cold war had just really picked up at this time
    I agree, back then all the styling rage was to give cars the space age look.

There's a local guy here in town with a Hudson Hornet Convertible, I took pictures of it at the last local car show. I'll try to add them to this thread in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Suprising how companies like Tucker and Hudson had so much innovation, but went out of business. A tucker could get 35 mpg cruising at around 70 miles per hour. Pretty good for the time
    Tucker and Hudson had little in common. Tucker barely got off the ground. Tucker was so far out there in terms of design that my grandfather, who sold Chevrolets and saw the Tucker at a car fair, was impressed with the design, but said, there is no way they are ever going to make that car. He thought the pressure from the big three was too much.

Someone he knew bought a lot of Tucker stock, and my grandfather said to him, you stupid S.O.B., you are going not going to make any money on that.

Mike Philips recommendation on the Tucker movie is great. It's a great movie, especially for car people and essential for Tucker fans.
    I saw a Tucker at the Muckenthaler car show once in Fullerton, CA. It's a nice show that happens mid May. The Tucker happened to be green.
    There was a 1910 Baker Electric car there one year, too. It went about 45 mph, I think.
    Yeah, electric car in 1910. Baker Electric founded in 1899. That's forward thinking.

To Mike, how many applications of Meguiar's #7 were done?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast