autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures

Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures

My friend Bill is hoping to figure out how to work with pictures faster on forums so I'm sharing with him how I post multiple pictures quickly.

First you need to put all the pictures you're going to use in a single folder and rename them a file name that is the same except for one digit in the name.

For the recent 1957 Belair I shared I named each picture this,

Tims57Chevy001.jpg

You can see this if you "Quote" me in a reply and then click to the "Editor Mode" offered in Internet Explorer. Might be available in other browsers but not ALL editing and formatting options in vBulletin are available in all browsers so I use the browser that enables all options and that's I.E., don't care if you like it or not, it works for me.

Here's a screen shot of me quoting me...

Now I'm going to click on Editor Mode and take a screenshot to show you what the code looks like.

If you look, all the code for each picture is the same except the last digit or digits depending upon how many pictures I'm using.

By doing this I can simply insert a single photo, usually the first photo ending in 001 and then after inserting the photo so that it has the correct opening and closing tags I can then copy and paste this single line of code for the number of pictures I want to insert and then go through each line of code and change only the last digit or digits to make all of the pictures show up.

You think this is time consuming? All the other ways are slow, this IS the fast way to create a thread with a lot of pictures and some of my threads have 100+ pictures so I need a method to the madness for speed.

Take a look at the last digits for all the image code... to see what the code really looks like click this link.

IF you don't now how to use the Editor Mode in vBulletin to tweak your code, here's my article on this topic.

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections

This is for anyone that's not sure how to use the Editor Mode in vBulletin to tweak their code or to break a large section of quoted material into smaller bites-size sections.

It also shows you how to use the up and down arrows to shrink or increase the length of your message box for easier typing.

It also helps to be able to stretch out your message box, can't do this in all browsers but you can in I.E.

Here's my article on this topics,

How to expand the message box

In case you don't know, there are little tiny up and down arrow button in the upper right hand corner of your message box and if you click on the down arrow it will increase or stretch-out your message box giving you more visible working room to type in and format your message.

It looks like this:

It's kind of tiny so here's a screen shot to show everyone where it's at...

2. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures

Here's just one example of a thread with lots of pictures where the picture file names have all been renamed and then they've all been cropped, resized, uploaded, and inserted in a linear fashion for easy viewing.

Gold Coast Corvette Club - First Annual Car Show

4. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A half a dozen so pictures isn't all that hard to post, but doing them in numbers along with cropping, resizing, uploading and renaming...well that takes a lot of time, even if you have a fast way to do it.

I can appreciate the efforts that goes into this whether others realize it or not.

The learning curve can be a bit humbling and steep at first, especially if your past experiences didn't allow for working on a computer on a daily basis.

Mr. Phillips has a good variety of skills that makes him good at the job he has and I appreciate his knowledge and professionalism and him so willingly sharing that knowledge.
    Bill

6. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    A half a dozen so pictures isn't all that hard to post, but doing them in numbers along with cropping, resizing, uploading and renaming...well that takes a lot of time, even if you have a fast way to do it.

I can appreciate the efforts that goes into this whether others realize it or not.

The learning curve can be a bit humbling and steep at first, especially if your past experiences didn't allow for working on a computer on a daily basis.

Mr. Phillips has a good variety of skills that makes him good at the job he has and I appreciate his knowledge and professionalism and him so willingly sharing that knowledge.

Thanks Bill...

I just now found this article and thus your post, thank you for the compliment.

I've been looking for this article for months now as it shows people

• How to rename their pictures files.
    • Why to rename their picture files.

It's the only way to go if you work with LOTS of pictures, like this recent write-up which has a LOT of pictures, all of them renamed like you see above.

1949 Chevy 5-Window Pickup Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

Cool. Now I know where this thread and the pictures in it are at.

Mike Phillips

Found it!

Been looking for this thread for over 2 years... forgot what I titled it and even forgot I wrote it on this forum....

If you've ever seen a thread where I've posted 20, 50, 100 pictures, this is how I do it. I spend a little time up front renaming each picture I use in the order I want them to display and that way I only have to copy and paste the full code for the first picture and then change the last number(s) in the file extension.

Huge time saver.

So happy to have found this thread.... have to do my happy dance....

Post Thanks / Like

Mike...Ya might want to make this thread a 'sticky.' Lottza great information there.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Mike...Ya might want to make this thread a 'sticky.' Lottza great information there.

Bill
    Good idea Bill...

Done.

11. Thanks axel06 thanked for this post
    Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the bump. I REALLY like the idea of cut-n-paste the same img link line, then just changing the number(s) at the end.

This will surely save me some time!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Thanks for the bump. I REALLY like the idea of cut-n-paste the same img link line, then just changing the number(s) at the end.

Anytime you see me posting a review and how-to and look at the volume of pictures I share - I'm using this technique.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...mike-phillips/

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...mike-phillips/

Every time.

I'm self-taught on how to work with images and both html and bb code on the Interweb. I'd say it's one of my very strong skills that for the last 20 years has separated me from all the other detailing personalities in the online detailing world.

Think of all the names in the detailing world - how many of them know how to work with photos and also write how-to articles?

Anyone with a thumb can put a picture on Facebook.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

I REALLY like the idea of cut-n-paste the same img link line, then just changing the number(s) at the end.

It takes a little more time to rename all pictures but it saves time overall.

Plus - when you rename the files you name them in the order you want them to appear.

By doing this it makes it fool-proof to make your pictures show up in the right order. Kind of important if you're telling a story. And by telling a "story" I mean, sharing HOW-TO info on how to use a product or a technique to do something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast