autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It takes just as long to do it wrong...

Wow hurts my eyes to look at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    Dem wheels sure look clean though!!

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The_2nd_G View Post
    After shots please. Please! It can't end like this.
    Not sure what you're talking about? I took these pictures as I was walking around at SEMA taking pictures of cars on display, I wasn't there to buff out swirled-out messes. Chances are good "it" does end like you see "it", unless somehow the owner gets educated on the difference between a squirrel and a swirl.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Same goes for the owner of this car...

Wheelin the paint on a Proweler...

Avoiding swirls "or" hiring a person that knows what they're doing starts with head knowledge, that is knowing a little bit about what I call the 3 P's

• Paint
    • Products
    • Procedures

The last thing you do is pick up a wheel and wheel a car or hire some caveman detailer to wheel your car.

The rotary buffer aka the wheel, is a great tool, it's just like I always say though, you don't want to use it to do the last machine polishing step with or you risk ending up with holograms in the paint.

Inflicting holograms into a car's paint REMOVES perfectly good paint. Removing the holograms means removing more perfectly good paint. So it's really not a good idea to do thing yourself or let others that don't know what they're doing work on your car's finish.

Paint is thin to start with, see page 6 & 7 of my how-to book, this is where I make the case that doing the job right starts with knowledge.l

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I always use

"If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find the time to do it right the second time"

Here's the version of the above that like... same idea just worded differently...

"There's always time to do it right the second time"

Quote Originally Posted by Precision Pros View Post

This has to be a joke...right???

You'd think by the year 2012 most people "into cars" would be up to speed with the correct way to work on car paint but pictures like I've posted here just goes to show there are still people in the world that need $5.00 to buy a clue.

Here's what I believe,

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

That said, it's my hope and positive outlook that we will finally reach the tipping point where information will have spread to the point that we no longer have hack detailers doing hack work.

Until that day, they create work for everyone that does have a clue.

Mike Phillips

Need a crosslink to this thead...

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Who would think that is acceptable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek

Here's the version of the above that like... same idea just worded differently...

"There's always time to do it right the second time"

You'd think by the year 2012 most people "into cars" would be up to speed with the correct way to work on car paint but pictures like I've posted here just goes to show there are still people in the world that need $5.00 to buy a clue.

Here's what I believe,

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

That said, it's my hope and positive outlook that we will finally reach the tipping point where information will have spread to the point that we no longer have hack detailers doing hack work.

I have owned many, many autos in the past 30+ years. Most of them were white or silver/gray with a couple of red ones and a blue one thrown in. I continued to do the same thing for the appearance of these vehicles across the years; wash (single bucket, no grit guard, same mitt/sponge everywhere except the tires and wheels), dry with usually a chamois; then wax on/wax off. Or; take it to a "100% hand car wash for the wash and dry, then take it home for the wax on/wax off.

Pretty simple. I would take such good care of my cars, many people told me over the years they wanted me to get ahold of them when I was ready to sell my car as they wanted to make me an offer.

Then 5 years ago, I got my first black vehicle. After a couple of years of the same procedure I followed for all of the previous "sets of wheels" and a couple of bad experiences, I realized that wasn't gonna cut it any more.

Then, I spent a couple of years stumbling around asking friends and employees in major auto supply stores what I should be using. Turns out, they didn't know any more than I did. The guys in two different Pepboys didn't know that a grit guard wouldn't sink to the bottom of their buckets.

There's just a lot of ignorance and stupidity out there.

Ignorance is: You know you don't know but you want to do something about it.
    Stupidity is: You know you don't know but you don't care.

Finally, I found this forum, Meguiars' forum, and the Youtube videos. Now, after a couple of months of reading and watching videos, I feel like I know more than about 98% of the US population about exterior car care, but have still only scratched the surface (if you'll excuse the expression). The learning curve is steep, but the final result is worth it.

I've successfully clayed a vehicle (and know why to do so), applied a sealant for the winter, and have purchased a DA polisher with pads and I have a good idea what products to purchase. Until next spring, I going to maintain and protect the finish/appearance as is and continue reading and watching those videos over and over, but watch out next spring.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn. And, I'm not keeping it a secret; I'm spreading the word.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jhodges View Post

Finally, I found this forum, Meguiars' forum, and the Youtube videos.

Now, after a couple of months of reading and watching videos, I feel like I know more than about 98% of the US population about exterior car care,

Very good. I never like to hurt the feelings of others so I'm sincere when I say that detailers or enthusiasts that hang out on forums like this one know more than detailers, or "Painters Helpers" that don't hang out on forums.

It's just a matter of who has the knowledge and who doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by jhodges View Post

Thanks for the opportunity to learn. And, I'm not keeping it a secret; I'm spreading the word.

That's doing win/win business plus helping your friends...

Thank you...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gimmee a Wool Pad and some Baby Oil!!!!

I think the best part is showing your customers those holograms than fixing them!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Drew847 View Post

I think the best part is showing your customers those holograms than fixing them!!

It's a lot easier to put swirls in than it is to remove them that's for sure...

Have to remember too that most people don't know the difference between swirls and squirrels...

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast