autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How To Use The Flex 3401

How To Use The Flex 3401

Be sure to watch the below vide0s plus read the article...

For those of you that want to lubricate the felt ring on your Flex 3401, here's a video that shows you how... starts at the 1:45 time mark...

About Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher
    The Flex 3401 is a gear driven, forced rotation dual action polisher with a variable speed controller enabling you to select the appropriate speed for the task at hand. The Flex 3401 is purposefully built for machine polishing paint. The Flex 3401 is German Engineered to be a professional grade tool that can be used in a production environment under heavy use. There are multiple backing plates and pads available for this tool for just about any type of paint correction, polishing or even machine waxing.

Here's my demo truck, a severely neglected Chevy Tahoe owned by my buddy Dave who's not really into car detailing but more into building Monster Trucks and Swamp Buggies for use at the Mud Fests in in South Florida.

This Tahoe has been repainted at some point in it's history but since then I doubt it's ever been waxed, let alone washed.

Speedy Prep Towel
    I clayed the passenger side of the hood using the Speedy Prep Towel Medium Grade with Detailer's Universal Clay Lube before starting.

Here you can see water spotting and general staining and oxidation of the paint. Because the Flex 3401 is a gear-driven, forced rotation polisher it offers a lot of power and for this reason I'm able to buff out this large section at one time.

Here's the Flex 3401 as well as some products from Optimum Polymer Technologies.

Here I'm priming a Microfiber Cutting Pad with Optimum Compound II

Here I've turned the polisher on and spread my working product evenly over the entire surface I'm going to work.

I work the section using overlapping passes and a crosshatch pattern...

Even after wiping the hood clean and removing all the above surface bonded contaminants off using the speedy Prep Towel you can see all kinds of embedded dirt coming off the paint onto the pad. Note I have a clean pad in the picture for contrast.

Here I'm wiping the compound residue off and you can see a clear, glossy finish is starting to return.

Next I switch to the Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pad and Optimum Finish and proceed to prime the pad and then add the working product.

I repeat the overlapping, crosshatch pattern to the same section. Both the compound and the polish were applied using speed setting 6

The clarity and gloss are increasing after using the Optimum Finish

You can actually see the metallic flake now...

For contrast, here's what the paint looked before which is dull and flat and then to the right side is clear, glossy paint.

Optimum Car Wax
    After compounding and polishing the rest of the hood I then applied the Optimum Car Wax which offers patented UV Inhibitors, the same UV Inhibitors that are used in clear coat paint formulas. Dave parks this in the South Florida sunshine everyday so the paint needs all the protection it can get...

Here's the end resuls...

The Flex 3401 is a powerful tool and a tool that can get the job done fast without the risk of burning the paint or instilling swirls at the same time.

On Autogeek.net

Flex 3401

Optimum Polymer Technologies

Detailers Car Care Products

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Use The Flex 3401

Very purdy

Post Thanks / Like

I <3 my Flex. Can AG make a bumper sticker for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, for helping us all understand that MF pads can indeed be used on the 3401. The timing was too perfect, ya'know?

Post Thanks / Like

Real nice work in there . Congrats Mike .

Post Thanks / Like

do you have to use mf pad specific compounds and polishes or can you use the wolfgang tsr and finishing glaze with them?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using the same mf compound/polish pad and the same Opt compound and final polish, how much faster do you think a Flex 3401 would have the same result on this car compare to a GG6"?

$330 vs $130

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots is a very capable machine. If money is an issue go with the Griots at a big cost savings. I have both the Flex 3401 and the Griots 6". With the Griots you get a lifetime warranty.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Thanks Mike, for helping us all understand that MF pads can indeed be used on the 3401. The timing was too perfect, ya'know?
    The only thing is when doing correction work you'll find yourself using a little muscle to control the polisher as you work a section.

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Real nice work in there . Congrats Mike .
    I had Dave bring the truck over yesterday so I could get an "after" picture of his chrome wheel after doing the IronX video and even though I only buffed out the hood and the bug defector, he was thrilled.

Iron X Bleeding Effect While Cleaning Brake Dust Off Wheel

Before

Bleeding

Rinsing

Clean Decontaminated Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by kingweb50 View Post
    d
    o you have to use mf pad specific compounds and polishes or can you use the wolfgang tsr and finishing glaze with them?
    What I've experienced is any quality product with good lubricity for a long buffing cycle with a foam pad works well with a microfiber pad. The shorter the buffing cycle or play time a product has with foam the less it will have with microfiber and the polisher won't glide over the surface smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
    If you are using the same mf compound/polish pad and the same Opt compound and final polish, how much faster do you think a Flex 3401 would have the same result on this car compare to a GG6"?
    Much faster plus you can tackle a larger section at one time. That's a HUGE hood and I knocked out 1/4 of it in a single buffing cycle. With any of the DA Polishers, PC, Megs or Griot's, I would have had to work only half the size seen in the picture to get the same results. I guess that means twice as fast?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you suggest 5" pads or 6.5 with the flex? And which backing plate. Thanks

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast