autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Use The Flex 3401

Thanks for chiming in Mike and I'd love you to know that I admire your work and love what you've made for yourself business wise.
    So I feel confident in saying that if I could only have three pads it would be Lake Country 5" Blue, White, and Black pads. Is that a correct assumption?
    Thanks a lot Mike. It's an honor as a retailer to communicate with you. God Bless

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post

So I feel confident in saying that if I could only have three pads it would be Lake Country 5" Blue, White, and Black pads. Is that a correct assumption?

Actually, what I would choose and what I recommend for most people and most product would be

Orange
    White
    Black

The Orange is supposed to be a tick more aggressive than the blue but when you feel them with your hand, that is draw you hand across the face of a clean foam pad, the blue pad feels sharper. But the both seem to cut about the same. I'm not sure what the formula difference is between these two pads except the orange pads last longer.

I do like the blue pads for finish polishing gel-coat but usually go with the RUPES blue pads for finishing out gel-coat.

On an off-topic note, the owner of The Driver's Seat Chris, (a local car parts and accessory store here in Stuart, Nick Rutter is teaching a class there this Saturday), has been using the RUPES pads to buff out his 2007 Contender Center Console. He came into my office last week and said thank you for turning him onto these pads to FINISH polish the gel-coat hull of his boat.

When I wrote my boat detailing book I'm pretty sure I'm the first guy that's ever shared and explained that gel-coat boats DON'T like soft foam pads for abrading or polishing work. I don't know why... I just know what I see and this is also what I wrote in the book.

But back to you and your project. Here's a new saying I have...

The FLEX 3401 will turn and churn any pad and product -Mike Phillips

That is to say, unlike all free spinning orbital polishers... it's not finicky or picky.

Use up the Hydro-Tech pads you have and next time you get pads get the Hybrids.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your time and knowledge Mike. It's greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post

Thanks for your time and knowledge Mike. It's greatly appreciated.

You're very welcome.

Do like me, invest some time behind the buffer and then you can make it dance on paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike

I got a questions actually that I didn't see at the videos. How to polish on the curved area using Flex 3401?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by VanDaMe View Post
    Hi Mike

I got a questions actually that I didn't see at the videos. How to polish on the curved area using Flex 3401?

I'd like to make that video.

I do show how to make the FLEX 3401 dance on paint as I like to say including showing you how to. buff out 1" thin panels and everything in-between but I do this at my classes - in person.

Post Thanks / Like

How To Use The Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Next I switch to the Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pad and Optimum Finish and proceed to prime the pad and then add the working product.

Hi @Mike Phillips, couple of questions...

1. You said in a recent YouTube video you said you’re “not a pea size drop kind of guy” and proceeded to put a thick circle of product. In your OP here, I see you using peas...is it because you primed it first and then added pea drops? Do you prime if you just put a thick circle of ample product? Or is it because you’re not using an AIO in this post?

2. Also in the same video, you used The BEAST at 6 with 8 section passes. Is that because it was an AIO in that video? I saw another video(not yours) claiming The BEAST should never have the need to do more than 2 passes at 4.5.

3. Lastly, does the Supa BEAST need to be lubricated as directed for The BEAST?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gr8almty1 View Post

Hi @Mike Phillips, couple of questions...

1. You said in a recent YouTube video you said you’re “not a pea size drop kind of guy” and proceeded to put a thick circle of product.

Yes - I said I'm NOT a pea sized drop guy. I think it's ridiculous. As I said in the video as I practice myself and as I teach in my classes - you need a certain level of substance on the surface working for you. Substance in this context means lubrication and abrasives.

And for those reading this into the future, here's the video he's referencing,

But for the record - I say this in other videos too.

In your OP here, I see you using peas...is it because you primed it first and then added pea drops?
    Yes. It's because I PRIMED the pad first.

NOTE: In one of the other more recent LIVE detailing classes I went DEEPER on this topic and here's what I said,

I'm not a Pea Sized Drop guy unless you're using MICROFIBER pads. BUT - in the case of using microfiber pads you are first PRIMING the pad and the amount of product you will use to prime the pad would represent the amount of product you would use on a foam pad.

I think it was this video,

But it might have been one of these videos,

If you or anyone can locate where I said the above part about the amount you would use to prime a microfiber pads is the amount I show putting on a foam pad, let me know the video and the time stamp and I'll send you a free gift. (lower 48 states)

Do you prime if you just put a thick circle of ample product? Or is it because you’re not using an AIO in this post?
    See my answers above. By the way, you use an AIO like you would use a compound or polish on neglected paint. If someone tells you to use 3 pea sized drops when using an AIO on neglected paint to me this would be an indicator they don't know what they are doing.

2. Also in the same video, you used The BEAST at 6 with 8 section passes. Is that because it was an AIO in that video? I saw another video(not yours) claiming The BEAST should never have the need to do more than 2 passes at 4.5.
    To each their own.

But - it doesn't sound like this other person has buffed out as many cars as I have buffed out. One thing I don't do - I don't argue with others. If they have their way and if it works for them that's all that's important. I will say this,

Choose carefully which guru or expert you follow....

3. Lastly, does the Supa BEAST need to be lubricated as directed for The BEAST?

Thank you
    No because with the Supa BEAST - there is no felt ring. Totally different design, which is also why the Supa BEAST is lighter, cooler, smoother and quieter.

Here's my article on using the larger backing plate on the Supa BEAST versus the smaller backing plate that comes from the factory.

Supa BEAST backing plate swap

And like all my article - a picture or two that helps tell "this" story.

And here's my picture of lubricating the felt ring and a picture that helps tell "this" story.

Lubricating the Felt Ring on the Flex 3401

See how the innards are nothing alike?

Hope the above helps you.

9. Thanks gr8almty1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, at about 25:25 you discuss silly pea size drops in the “how to buff you car out in one hour or less” video.

You already sent me some cool stuff recently so me need to do so. Just wanted to help!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

To Add:

From experience, if you are using an AIO properly, you should be using 6-8 ounces a vehicle depending on the size of the vehicle area. It is easy to keep track of how much I use since I transfer in a smaller 8oz squeeze bottle as I explained here:

BLACKFIRE One Step Proficiency Tips
    Jim

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast