autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Great article Mike and appropriate given the number of new car requests I've seen lately....

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Mike!!

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Bumped for people that have just bought a brand new car and are wondering where to start...

Post Thanks / Like

Let's bump this again......now that my wife just bought a new Hyundai Elantra Limited....

It's color is Shimmering White Pearl and clear coated. It's built in Alabama and should be delivered 11-Sep-12....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

For anyone new to the forum just starting out...

And... check out this...

It's not that hard...

Note these people are not just "learning" on daily drivers aka new cars, they're learning on someone's "toys" or Special Interest Vehicles. More risk for me, more fun for them...

In the below live broadcast I show a 15 year old boy how to machine polish

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover

And in this one I show a 21 year old girl how to machine polish

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - Gtechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

Trista working with the rest of the team to machine polish this 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2

Trista removing swirls on a show car...

And in this one I show a 80 year old man and a young lady and here boyfriend how to machine polish for their first time...

Video and Pictures - Two 1967 Camaro's - Show Car Makeovers!

PLUS you have everyone on this forum to help you along the way...

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken all the tips here over the last few months since I purchased my new Mercedes ML350 back in May. I spent over $1500 just on a paint option called Diamond White and it is really beautiful, deep and hard. I want to keep it that way so I bought a Griot 6" polisher, pads and continued with my use of Duragloss products which I have enjoyed working with for a number of years. At first I experimented with the Griot just to get the hang of it. I had a seven year old truck I used it on, my friends six year old Sonata, my shower stall, hot tub interior, etc. You name it and I experimented on it in the hopes I would build enough confidence to actually put it on the Diamond White Mercedes paint. For the past 50 years I've detailed all my cars by hand so this was a big step for me, especially on a Mercedes. Doubly so because at first I swore I would never let such a beast as an electric polisher come anywhere near that car! I always felt I could do better by hand - until now.

Well, after reading all the tips here, watching videos and practicing I finally took the plunge and worked on my new car with the Griot polisher. First, I washed it with CGs Citrus, clayed with Griot mild clay and Speed Shine lubricant and then went to work with Duragloss 601/111 (two coats) followed a day later with a topper of AquaWax. I was amazed at how thin I could spread the mixture of 601 and 111 with this polisher (Uber 5 1/2" black pad), to the point of it being almost transparent. An easy buff off by hand and I had the best looking white car in the history of the universe! It glistens in the sun and is a true beacon at night under shopping center parking lights.

The car is in the garage most of the time but I take it out a couple times a week just to enjoy a drive. Every time I return from a drive I use PoorBoys waterless Spray and Wipe to remove any road film or dust, and once every couple weeks I wash it with Duragloss rinseless with AquaWax. I use the Citrus shampoo only when I detail because the car never gets dirty and has never even seen a drop of rain, at least so far. This car is the definition of a garage queen!

I am so happy I learned what I have here and built up the confidence to use the polisher, which I truly believe makes the job easier and better. As time goes on I will become even more proficient. My next detail will be in January as I hope to do this every three months. And this time I hope to try a top coat of Colli 845 over the 111, which from all reports works well with Duragloss products and can only add to the protection and appearance. My only question is whether I need to use 501 or another favorite of mine, Klasse AIO, before applying the 111. When I wrote Duragloss about this they responded by saying my paint probably would not benefit from the 501 and just continue with 601/105 or 111. Yet everyone seems to think 501 is about the best product Duragloss makes and it is highly recommended. I guess using it won't hurt so I'll try one side of the vehicle with the 501 step and one side without and see what happens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    I've taken all the tips here over the last few months since I purchased my new Mercedes ML350 back in May. I spent over $1500 just on a paint option called Diamond White and it is really beautiful, deep and hard. I want to keep it that way so I bought a Griot 6" polisher, pads and continued with my use of Duragloss products which I have enjoyed working with for a number of years. At first I experimented with the Griot just to get the hang of it. I had a seven year old truck I used it on, my friends six year old Sonata, my shower stall, hot tub interior, etc. You name it and I experimented on it in the hopes I would build enough confidence to actually put it on the Diamond White Mercedes paint. For the past 50 years I've detailed all my cars by hand so this was a big step for me, especially on a Mercedes. Doubly so because at first I swore I would never let such a beast as an electric polisher come anywhere near that car! I always felt I could do better by hand - until now.

Well, after reading all the tips here, watching videos and practicing I finally took the plunge and worked on my new car with the Griot polisher. First, I washed it with CGs Citrus, clayed with Griot mild clay and Speed Shine lubricant and then went to work with Duragloss 601/111 (two coats) followed a day later with a topper of AquaWax. I was amazed at how thin I could spread the mixture of 601 and 111 with this polisher (Uber 5 1/2" black pad), to the point of it being almost transparent. An easy buff off by hand and I had the best looking white car in the history of the universe! It glistens in the sun and is a true beacon at night under shopping center parking lights.

The car is in the garage most of the time but I take it out a couple times a week just to enjoy a drive. Every time I return from a drive I use PoorBoys waterless Spray and Wipe to remove any road film or dust, and once every couple weeks I wash it with Duragloss rinseless with AquaWax. I use the Citrus shampoo only when I detail because the car never gets dirty and has never even seen a drop of rain, at least so far. This car is the definition of a garage queen!

I am so happy I learned what I have here and built up the confidence to use the polisher, which I truly believe makes the job easier and better. As time goes on I will become even more proficient. My next detail will be in January as I hope to do this every three months. And this time I hope to try a top coat of Colli 845 over the 111, which from all reports works well with Duragloss products and can only add to the protection and appearance. My only question is whether I need to use 501 or another favorite of mine, Klasse AIO, before applying the 111. When I wrote Duragloss about this they responded by saying my paint probably would not benefit from the 501 and just continue with 601/105 or 111. Yet everyone seems to think 501 is about the best product Duragloss makes and it is highly recommended. I guess using it won't hurt so I'll try one side of the vehicle with the 501 step and one side without and see what happens!
    We all need to see some

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, but my stupid camera does not do justice to the shine or the car! To those unfamiliar I forgot to mention that you need to click on the thumbnails in order to enlarge the photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips-005-jpg   How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips-004-jpg   How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips-006-jpg  
    Last edited by Shortspark; 10-05-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addition

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post

I've taken all the tips here over the last few months since I purchased my new Mercedes ML350 back in May.

I am so happy I learned what I have here and built up the confidence to use the polisher, which I truly believe makes the job easier and better.

As time goes on I will become even more proficient.

Thank you for sharing the above and it just goes to show that learning how to professional detail your own car is not that hard if you use this forum to first gain head knowledge and educate yourself and then practice to perfect your technique.

Here's you pictures in full size, I uploaded them into your gallery so they can be "inserted" instead of "attached".

Looks great!

You done did good!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I see from the how-to articles the correct method of treating thumbnail photos. I wish I had a really good camera now!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast