autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How To Do a Test Spot

***Bump***

Bump for anyone new to machine polishing...

I've been buffing out cars all my life and I ALWAYS do a Test Spot before buffing out any car I have never buffed out previously.

Here's an example from just this last weekend...

See the tape on the front, center of the hood? That's from doing a Test Spot...

New Menzerna FG 400 - One-Step Show Car Makeover

Test Spot = Menzerna FG 400 with the Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid White Polishing Pads on the Flex 3401
    I did a Test Spot using a tape-line on the front of the hood and then inspected using my Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light and the results were a clear, high gloss finish that was silky smooth to the touch and all swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation was removed. After confirming the combination of the Menzerna FG 400 with the Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid White Polishing Pads on the Flex 3401 on speed 6 was giving me the results I wanted I proceeded to buff out the entire car using this combination.

Finished...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    After you dial in your Test Spot, try this sometime... there are marketing reasons I list in the full article,

Knock out painted roofs first, then tackle the rest of the car...
    1952 DeSoto - Roof has been sanded, cut, polished and waxed and is now protected with a soft flannel sheet

Just finished this very thing yesterday...knocking out the top.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

Just finished this very thing yesterday...knocking out the top.

Cool Bill...

It's not a technique that a lot of people know about or think about but it works for me...

Mike Phillips

Just wrote a new article to answer a common question and sometimes problem when doing a Test Spot...

The LINE ---> How to avoid the line!

Something I've been meaning to write about but it's always just another item on my to-do list is how to AVOID the LINE when doing a Test Spot using a strip of painter's tape.

That is the line that separates the before and after results the YOU use to inspect and gauge your progress and results.

This line...

After using a strip of painter's tape for your test spot like this...

How To Do a Test Spot
    (and why it's so important)

Answer coming up...

Mike Phillips

Here's the follow up...

Question: How to avoid the line!

Answer: Anytime you're doing a test spot, if it's just you're own car or even a customer's car, then buff to the side of the line, not directly on top of the line.

Why?

Because sometimes you can remove enough paint to actually leave a line in the paint that can be hard to buff out.

When I do these types of things for articles I'm trying to create a DRAMATIC "Before & After" picture showing the before and after results with a strong demarcation line.

Unless you "want" or "need" the picture then just buff close to the tape line, not directly on top of the tape line and you'll avoid creating a physical level difference in the paint that shows up as an actual "line" in the paint. (that can sometimes be hard to buff out).

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

So if you do a test spot and conclude it needs more work, do you make a second test spot or continue working the first spot?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ebf2k View Post
    So if you do a test spot and conclude it needs more work, do you make a second test spot or continue working the first spot?

Great question!

The answer is you do a test spot in a new section of un-touched or un-buffed paint.

Doing a second test spot in the same area will give you skewed results since you've already altered the paint in that spot with the products you tested.

Post Thanks / Like

Beginner question here:

I will be using a DA for the first time to remove moderate light to moderate swirls. I bought a 7424XP, orange and white LC flat pads, and Meguiars UC and UP. I know that we should always use the least aggressive method.

For my test spot I am thinking of starting with UP on a white pad. It this does not remove the swirls, then do a second (separate, as mentioned above) test spot with UC and an orange pad, followed by the UP/white pad combo.

Is this the right way to approach the situation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    Beginner question here:

I will be using a DA for the first time to remove moderate light to moderate swirls. I bought a 7424XP, orange and white LC flat pads, and Meguiars UC and UP. I know that we should always use the least aggressive method.

For my test spot I am thinking of starting with UP on a white pad. It this does not remove the swirls, then do a second (separate, as mentioned above) test spot with UC and an orange pad, followed by the UP/white pad combo.

Is this the right way to approach the situation?

Yes but depending on your paint and what results you want to achieve, ultimate polish wont do much as far removing the swirls (depending on how bad it is) its very light in cut just make sure you do an alcohol wipedown or carpro eraser to inspect the true results.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much mike!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast