autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
    Nice! but isn't that a bit too close to an edge?

I usually hand sand areas near body lines, near trim pieces and sharp edges.
    It's no problem for this car. First there's a ton of clear on the paint and orange peel throughout including all the edges.

Comfort Level
    The goal of the wetsanding class isn't to make everyone an expert at hand-sanding, machine sanding and using a rotary buffer, expertise comes from experience and time, this is a one day class. For some this was the first time they had ever done any type of sanding as well as doing heavy cutting with rotary buffer.

The goal of these classes is to bring each person's comfort level with the terminology, tools, products and techniques related to the wetsanding, cutting and buffing process. Any of the students that go through this class can leave and hold an intelligent conversation on the topic of hand sanding, machine sanding and using a rotary buffer. Whether this conversation is among car buddies or customers.

If they find themselves in a position where they need to do some hand sanding or machine sanding they know what's involved including the risks and the time it will take to go from start to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

I've got one of those polishers. Works great but gets scary hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    interesting...

chris<pixelmonkey>

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I've never noticed a heat issue using the current version of the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher?

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

We always say to "work clean" when polishing and detailing. If you use the GG 3" DA for wet sanding wouldn't residue be left behind on the DA itself?

When I look at my palm sanders I see the sanding dust all over and it makes me wonder.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    We always say to "work clean" when polishing and detailing. If you use the GG 3" DA for wet sanding wouldn't residue be left behind on the DA itself?
    The answer to your question is yes. You cannot sand without removing particles. Heck you cannot use a compound or polish without removing particles.

Remove the particles. That is wipe any residues off the paint after you finish a section. You can also clean your sanding discs a couple of ways, rinse them and wipe them, neither is perfect.

Still, if you do good work the paint comes out looking great...

Mike Phillips

I'm back to compounding the GTO from our Advanced Class last Sunday, the team did a great job for their learning experience but since my name is associated with the buff-out I'm going over the entire car to make sure all the sanding marks are removed.

When I finish the compounding I'm going to machine polish it with the Pinnacle Swirl Remover by rotary and follow that with the Pinnacle Finishing Polish using the PC and then seal it so I can return the car tomorrow.

I'm posting pics to my Facebook page if anyone wants to watch the progress...

My Facebook Page

I have Tapatalk on my phone but it's more time consuming to use it to post to the forum than it is to post a few pictures of the process to Facebook and this will probably take me the rest of the day to finish so time is of the essence.

Paint's coming out good, I just finished the trunk lid and rear bumper, had to compound portions of the rear bumper by hand. Moving on to the hood then I'll do 2 polishing steps to the hood, trunk lid, roof and b-pillars and then seal them and move onto the rest of the vertical panels.

Removing sanding marks by hand

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike.

My car next!

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't seem to find the backing plate, sanding disks used here in the write up both for the PC and 3" Griots. Any links to it Mike?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by anson89 View Post
    I couldn't seem to find the backing plate, sanding disks used here in the write up both for the PC and 3" Griots. Any links to it Mike?
    Sorry for the late reply, I'm working about 95% on my first e-book and don't have much forum time.

In my article list which the link is in my Signature Line, there's section for articles under

Wetsanding - Dampsanding - Colorsanding Topics

And under this heading is an article called,

List of Sanding Discs at Autogeek.net

and you can find links to everything we carry for these procedures on Autogeek.net

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Finishing Discs

I can't recommend enough getting the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Note: Make sure you get a couple of 3" Interface Pads you want this for contours and curved panels.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast