autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

I've also adopted the simple rule to never wipe a dry MF towel on the paint, whether its wiping off wax, drying after a wash, or applying a spray wax or detail spray.

I always spray something on the clean, dry MF towel (usually detail spray or waterless wash) before wiping...just in case the clean MF towel picked up something that could scratch the paint. Small particles of dust or dirt are not always visible.

In other words I want some type of lubrication between the dry MF towel and the paint.

The issues I see with this is you're introducing a new substance to a freshly treated surface (treated with something). I'm not sure that it's a big deal to introduce water to a wax, sealant or coating but some of the instructions for these products say don't let the surface get wet for a certain period of time after product removal. Not sure how much difference there would be introducing water to the product at removal.

But hey... if your technique works for you Jim I say stick with it.

I personally use completely dry microfiber towels to wipe off everything and have had nothing but stellar results all these years.

For example, every microfiber towel I used to wipe this very rare car was dry...

Christmas Detail - Ferrari P4 - Move over Rudolf

Kappy

For those of you who have been detailing for several years, before there were microfiber towels available, what did you use to wipe off polish, or just do general cleaning and drying, without reintroducing swirls and scratches? Was it more common and accepted to see marks in the paint? With so much emphasis put on using the correct microfiber towel, and the correct technique, I wondered what you used to do in the "olden days".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    For those of you who have been detailing for several years, before there were microfiber towels available, what did you use to wipe off polish, or just do general cleaning and drying, without reintroducing swirls and scratches? Was it more common and accepted to see marks in the paint? With so much emphasis put on using the correct microfiber towel, and the correct technique, I wondered what you used to do in the "olden days".

I used hand-selected 100% cotton terry cloth towels and had no problems turning out swirl-free, scratch free finishes.

I had huge collections of towels and I would "hand-select" the softest towels and save these for all the finishing step.

That's the roots from where I wrote this article,

The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Real simple idea behind this practice but an important technique to use just the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read this, and being VERY new to detailing, I can say that even on the last wash I did on my car, I most definitely used the wrong method of laying the MF flat on the surface.

Thank you for making something that should be common sense to any detailer, common sense to me, as a very new and inexperienced detailer.

I will definitely be employing this when I get around to actually polishing and detailing my car next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice reading Mike! Seems basic but when you read carefully you always find something you could be doing better. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice read. Good to know!! Thanks for sharing Mike!

My Flickr Page

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tersplat View Post

Just read this, and being VERY new to detailing, I can say that even on the last wash I did on my car, I most definitely used the wrong method of laying the MF flat on the surface.

Thank you for making something that should be common sense to any detailer, common sense to me, as a very new and inexperienced detailer.

I will definitely be employing this when I get around to actually polishing and detailing my car next week.
    We all start out knowing nothing and the best way to help others is to share what you've already learned to help others move furhter up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Very nice reading Mike! Seems basic but when you read carefully you always find something you could be doing better. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
    I know it's a real simple technique but sometimes the little things are the big things...

Quote Originally Posted by PreludeVTEC01 View Post

Very nice read. Good to know!! Thanks for sharing Mike!
    Best of all it's a true story...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

First off, the paint on this car.....WOW....

Ok, I know I'm bringing up an old thread but there is too much good info in it that I learned and I feel that this would be the best place to ask the question for future people that might want to know. This article seemed to address everything except one thing I was looking for, which was the "pressure" you "should" put on a properly folded towel.

I just finished doing a huge ass correction and polish to my car and definitely want to keep it as nice as it is now for a long time, so is there a proper pressure you should or shouldn't have on a microfiber cloth on paint? I'm assuming that you could scratch paint with any towel if you used enough pressure, I'm more speaking in general terms, should you always strive for "light as a feather" or is it ok to bear down a bit, what is the "proper" technique when it comes to this?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Use only enough pressure to get the job done

There is no up side to using more pressure with a MF towel

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast