autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    I see you guys... C, C, and D
    You see nothing

Post Thanks / Like

There was a lot of common sense in this article.

Sometimes the basics make all the difference... good show.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pristine Image View Post

I've noticed when I have a MF folded 4-ways sometimes I experience the top half of the towel trying to "pass" the bottom half during a wipe.

Essentially it's like the towel is trying to unfold while wiping.

Is there any way to minimize this or is this just something that happens and you need to be attentive to it?
    I know exactly what you're talking about and this is just a guess but this will happen when you try to take too much product off at one time.

I recently wrote an article that discusses this...

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out...

Here's an excerpt but the entire article is worth a read-through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The most important factor for removing any wax or paint sealant is to apply a thin, uniform coating, this usually takes a little practice and in my opinion is best done using a DA Polisher.

Once you have a thin coating of whatever it is you're applying, for example a pure polish or glaze, or a wax or paint sealant, the job is to remove it without struggling and without inducing toweling marks back into the paint.

The words toweling marks are a nice way of saying light or shallow swirls and scratches from pushing too hard with your wiping cloth or in other words struggling with your wiping cloth against the paint as you're trying to remove something that's not coming off easily.

Let me share with you the technique I call

Breaking open a coat of wax and then creeping out...

Kind of a weird title but it's all I can come up with that describes what you do using this technique.

First let me share the problem, most people try to wipe off large or huge swaths of product with each wipe and for some products this works well because the product is very easy to wipe off no matter how you wipe. But for a lot of products, wipe off requires a little more work because of the product itself.

From TheFreeDictionary.com

Swath: the width of one sweep of a scythe or of the blade of a mowing machine

In the context of this article and topic it's the width of one sweep of your hand on a microfiber polishing towel.

When a product wipes off hard, trying to take huge chunks of it off in a single stroke doesn't work very well and usually what happens is you place your polishing towel on a panel, push on the towel and try to move it forward to remove the coating of product in that area; what usually happens is the towel stays in place and your hand moves forward emptyhand... so to speak...

The reason for this is because when you try to take off huge amounts of product, the surface tension between the layer of glaze, wax or paint sealant is greater by the shear volume of surface area as compared to what your hand and a wiping cloth can convince to release and pull away.

If that makes sense...

Now if you try to take the same product off but instead just take little bites of product off using a gentle, circular motion with your hand and polishing towel, then taking off any product is easy. This is because when you only try to remove a small amount of product at one time your wiping cloth has more removing or lifting-off power than the product has grip strength onto the paint.

Little Bites
    With little bites any wax or paint sealant is easy to remove and you reduce the potential for inflicting any toweling marks...

Try taking smaller bites when removing product and you're folded towel will stay folded better...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about and this is just a guess but this will happen when you try to take too much product off at one time.

I recently wrote an article that discusses this...

Here's an excerpt but the entire article is worth a read-through...

Try taking smaller bites when removing product and you're folded towel will stay folded better...

Haha, that makes complete sense AND on top of that I remember reading that article when you published it. It just didn't retain in my head... Thanks Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Thanks, Mike.
    Very informative as usual, but I do have a question.

When I'm vigorously pounding in larger than usual quantities of M07 into a weathered lacquer finish, I find it difficult to keep the MF folded with the extra drag of the material.

I folded it one more time, making a 4" X 8" size. I can use thumb and little finger to pinch the sides slightly, leaving three fingers and palm flat on the surface and polish just as hard as I want, while still keeping the cloth flat on the panel. Does that sound OK to you?

Bill
    Hi Bill,

M07 is very oily as you know and actually wipes off easier with a stout but soft terry cloth towel with a large nap.

The nap, which is the little cotton loops, they will slice into the layer of #7 and break it up making it easier to wipe off.

The drawback is most common terry cloth towels are not as gentle as microfiber, but you ca find some pretty nice specialty 100% cotton terry cloth towels with a little searching.

But if you want to use microfiber then follow the tips and techniques I include in this article,

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Mike

Is there something wrong with folding the towel one more time, getting extra sides to work as well as softer/thicker cushioning
    Not if it works for you!

Mike Phillips

While this tip/technique is a fairly simple technique it's very important. I wrote this article right after we polished out this 1954 Corvette as I watched the owner use this technique to try to wipe-off the wax while I cringed and stopped him...

Video: A Show Car Wax for a Show Car Finish at Show Car Garage

As you can see I switched him over to Microfiber Gloves and using correct technique on his baby...

As for the 1959 Cadillac used in this article, this is just one of many Cadillacs you'll see in future threads including an article on how to restore the original lacquer paint on a Pink 1959 Cadillac.

If you scroll through this thread you'll see more Cadillacs including the upcoming pink Cadillac and the Coupe de Ville used in this article.

The Caddy King's Hidden Collection of 1959 Cadillacs!

All these Cadillacs have less than 40,000 miles on them.

Here's a genuine "Pink Cadillac" with the original paint.

This 1959 has a newer basecoat/clearcoat finish and is in dire need of a thorough polishing to restore a finish worthy of the Cadillac marque...

This is a new paint job, basecoat/clear coat but this is a factory color...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike !

I used to try holding 2 Mf's at the same time to speedup the process of buffing & used to find it difficult to manage both at the same time, now i know what i was doing wrong !

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
    Thanks Mike !

I used to try holding 2 Mf's at the same time to speedup the process of buffing & used to find it difficult to manage both at the same time, now i know what i was doing wrong !

Actually, after edging a car I'll use two microfibers, one in each hand and with microfiber gloves on and this does make removing the wax fast as well as a breeze...

I love the glove...

For edging however, I only use one glove and I always do this first. Major on the minors and then major on the majors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also adopted the simple rule to never wipe a dry MF towel on the paint, whether its wiping off wax, drying after a wash, or applying a spray wax or detail spray.

I always spray something on the clean, dry MF towel (usually detail spray or waterless wash) before wiping...just in case the clean MF towel picked up something that could scratch the paint. Small particles of dust or dirt are not always visible.

In other words I want some type of lubrication between the dry MF towel and the paint.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast