autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

what causes clearcoat faluire? is it over polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

can u cause clearcoat failure just by using something like m101 on a da a few times or is that not even a concern assuming you didn't do anything crazy like leaving the da running on high in one spot for 5 minutes?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the beginning stages of clearcoat failure on my 2008 BMW 335i (black sapphire metallic) and I'm pretty confident it was a defective repair paint job before I purchased the car (I bought it 1 year old with <10k on the clock and haven't had any damage since then).

It's developed a couple of patches right over the engine and on the roof, pretty clearly showing some pitting/oxidation.

I can accept that this is not truly "repairable" without repainting, but is there any recommended "band aid" course of action to preserve what's left of the paint as much as possible, and at least create a maintainable level of shine by using heavy fill glazes, sealants, etc? Even if it needs to be reapplied regularly?

I'm not looking to create a show car, but I'd like for it to look as good as possible and repainting the hood and roof would be a HUGE undertaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a potential customer text me some pics of their vehicle. Complete CC failure on hood. Bits of CC were still there. They asked can't I just peel off the clear and polish the bare paint. That was a teaching moment for the potential customer, to which I relied on Mike's well spoken and versed words in this thread.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my pics as an update to my post above...

this is after a wash with ONR, no really recent polish/seal/wax yet:

Trailing edge of sunroof -

Beginning Clearcoat Failure-img_2274-jpg

Hood -
    Beginning Clearcoat Failure-img_2272-jpg
    Beginning Clearcoat Failure-img_2273-jpg

And this is after hand application of Jeff's Prime and Acrylic Jett (just trying things I've got in my bag to see if anything helps)

Beginning Clearcoat Failure-img_2372-jpg
    Beginning Clearcoat Failure-img_2370-jpg

I feel like I might be able to mask it (obviously temporary and imperfect) with some good machine polishing and a glaze that's heavy on the fillers. Maybe with a decent sealant on top that will get me through a month at a time.

I've honestly been tempted to just lay a full hood clear protective film over it and forget about it for now, but nobody seems to make protective films for the roof so that still needs to be bandaged as well as possible.

Mike Phillips

Huge difference between clearcoat failure and oxidization.

You can fix oxidation. You cannot fix clearcoat failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, a few forget that when a car gets keyed/smashed, or you have clearcoat failure, you have paint that is either totally missing, or totally in failure. Neither one can be cleared up with any type of polishing/abrasive…paint must be reapplied....
    Glen -

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by William D. View Post
    Sorry for the delay Mike, but here you are:

There is one more (which is the shot I wanted to get you) which didn't turn out so well, since it is later in the afternoon, it's really gotta be done around noon for it to reveal itself. I'll try for that easily next week. It hasn't begun to turn white yet, but you can see where the affected clear is slightly "darker" than the rest, and the clear up top is just ever so slightly cloudy.

Yet another example of pictures hosted on PhotoBucket disappearing.

I think I have 3-4 articles warning people not to use PhotoBucket UNLESS they are willing to step up to the plate and PAY for hosting for the rest of their lives.

Otherwise?

Missing pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123