autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How To Remove "Paint Transfer"

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Meguiars Macro Diminishing Abrasives, found in product like M84, M85, M04 etc, work well for this situation.

They will get the paint transfer off but most likely leave severe marring behind.
    Actually, M85 and M84 use Microscopic Diminishing Abrasives, this is why these products feel more like a hand lotion than a rubbing compound.

M04 came out in the 1920's I think and uses Macroscopic Diminishing Abrasives and does in fact work quite well for removing paint transfer by hand. Note the formula has been upgraded dramatically since when it first came out but it still uses MDA, not mDA.

What you need to remove paint transfer is something kind of chunky, that's why the XMT #4 or the M04 both work so well for removing paint transfer BUT they also will leave scratches in the paint.

My normal habit and practice is to type, teach and practice myself,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

So while I know that XMT #4 or M04 will excel at removing paint transfer, I still try using something a lot more gentle in order to leave the most amount of paint on the car while solving the problem and in so doing teaching that practice.

In the example of this thread where I removed white paint transfer off a 2006 Mustang, the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion together with the "nap" of a microfiber were aggressive enough to convince the paint transfer to come off while gentle enough to not put scratches in at the same time.

That's a Win/Win deal.

If it had not worked, I had the XMT #4 in my tool chest, or in other words, if the least aggressive product didn't work, I could substitute a more aggressive product. This is called testing and as I always tell my son,

"You don't know what you can do until you try"

For the same reason that a chunky abrasive will remove paint transfer, a chunky abrasive will also remove water spots and road film off glass, but make sure the abrasives used in the "chunky product" doesn't scratch glass. I'm pretty sure the abrasives in XMT #4 are non-diminishing, the abrasives in M04 are diminishing, I haven't tested XMT #4 on glass so I don't know if the abrasives will scratch it or not, being from Oregon, I've been using M04 for decades to remove water spots and road film off glass with no problems, but I digress... just wanted to tie in the "chunky" aspect because there's a lot of confusion over this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRaizer View Post
    For a tiny job like this would the Griot's 3" mini polisher or 4" foam pads for the PC work as well as applying by hand?
    No, would hardly work at all and probably not at all. First it's because if you push too hard on the 3" mini polisher the pad will stop rotating and thus nothing will be done. With enough time, a 4" pad on a DA on the 6.0 setting with an aggressive compound would eventually remove it without the heat problem of a rotary buffer but you can do this in seconds by hand... and be safe while doing it.

If you put a small pad on a rotary you'll be able to rotate the pad but the bond between the transferred paint and the car paint is so tight that in most cases you risk heating the paint up in your effort.

Again... back to the benefit of working by hand...

By hand you can use 2-3 finger tips on an applicator pad and exert a lot of force to a small area which will remove the offending paint transfer without creating the heat you would create with a rotary buffer.

Not saying rotary won't work because it will, heck throw on a 8" wool cutting pad on a full size rotary, slap on some abrasive compound and you can take everything off right down to bare metal if you want... I'm not recommending this, just making the point of what can be done.

This article was to show the majority of people how to fix a common problem with something they already own... their hand...

Having an assortment of products in your detailing arsenal is like having tools in your tool box, after reading this if you don't have any of the above then maybe stock up your tool chest...

Mike Phillips

And just to update this thread with a link to the end results...

Before and After - What you learn to do in our Detailing 101 Class

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but I just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me to try and clean up a mishap that happened while my car was parked and unattended.

I was shopping one day, and when I came back out to the car I came out to this...

When I looked at it I figured my only option was to paint it. But after reading this article I decided to take a whack at removing the transfer.

After some elbow grease and some 3M Rubbing Compound this was the result.

Needless to say there was more than just some paint transfer going on there and it will need some paint work. But for now I am happy enough with the results that I can wait untill I have the time to get the paint work done without feeling like my car is hideous.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Post Thanks / Like

I just removed some white paint transfered on my black mustang gt rear bumper. I didn't have a paint cleanser, but XMT swirl remover #1 worked wonders!

Post Thanks / Like

My white Acura TL-S received a long door ding from a large black SUV. It resulted in paint transfer similar to what you saw in this thread (except opposite colors). Claying did not help. Menz SIP applied via PC 7424XP worked beautifully, followed by OCW as the LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just had to say thank you so much for this article. My father just turned 66 and for his birthday I wanted to detail his silver blue 3 series BMW. I was using a medium grade Nano Skin wash mitt and somehow the mitt made two separate inch long black streaks on the paint. I was so upset I almost started crying (I'm very sentimental lol, it was about screwing up something for my dad, not about the paint job). Anyway to get to the point, I searched google for autogeek and paint transfer removal (technically this wasn't paint transfer but I figured same idea).

I found your article and got out a MF towel (I didn't have any MF applicators) and some BF SRC Finishing polish. Prior to this I had tried everything short of just going full out with my Flex. But using your technique I was able to wipe off the marks with only a couple of swipes with the towel (folded four ways of course) using a medium amount of hand pressure. Genius! Never would have thought of that!

I was so relieved I yelled out "Mike Phillips I owe you one!" At 4am in my garage. I was able to finish the job just hours before my dad goes to work. He doesn't even know I was working on it.

Thank you,
    Rob
    -Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, will have to get some of that stuff.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by xtitan1 View Post

Mike,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just had to say thank you so much for this article.

It's never wrong to bump an old thread or any thread when it's relevant to your detailing project.

It practice writing articles that are timeless, that means the information is just as helpful and accurate today as they were when they were written.

My father just turned 66 and for his birthday I wanted to detail his silver blue 3 series BMW. I was using a medium grade Nano Skin wash mitt and somehow the mitt made two separate inch long black streaks on the paint. I was so upset I almost started crying (I'm very sentimental LOL, it was about screwing up something for my dad, not about the paint job).

Anyway to get to the point, I searched Google for autogeek and paint transfer removal (technically this wasn't paint transfer but I figured same idea).

I found your article and got out a MF towel (I didn't have any MF applicators) and some BF SRC Finishing polish. Prior to this I had tried everything short of just going full out with my Flex.

But using your technique I was able to wipe off the marks with only a couple of swipes with the towel (folded four ways of course) using a medium amount of hand pressure.

Genius! Never would have thought of that!
    Sometimes the old fashioned method of working by hand still comes in handy... (no pun intended)

Just to note, anytime I want to find one of my own articles, I type a few key words into Google and then add my name Mike Phillips and in most cases the article I'm looking for comes right to the top of the list or in the first few search link returns.

I was so relieved I yelled out "Mike Phillips I owe you one!"

At 4am in my garage.

Now that's funny! I wish there was some video captures of that moment!

Hope you didn't scare the neighbors or the cat or dog for that matter...

I was able to finish the job just hours before my dad goes to work. He doesn't even know I was working on it.

Thank you,
    Rob

Bless you're heart Rob...

What a touching and funny story... thank you so much for sharing...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lordeldor View Post

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but I just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me to try and clean up a mishap that happened while my car was parked and unattended.
    There's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread.

If the information in the article is accurate it will stand the test of time so age does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by lordeldor View Post

Needless to say there was more than just some paint transfer going on there and it will need some paint work.

But for now I am happy enough with the results that I can wait untill I have the time to get the paint work done without feeling like my car is hideous.

Good to hear!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To remove Paint Transfer off your car's paint

Could you also use p21 paint cleansor since it has abrasives as well?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast