autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Old School Aluminum Slotted Mag Wheels - Extreme Makeover

Quote Originally Posted by 79Ford View Post
    Hi,
    Since this is your first post to our forum... Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Could you tell me how many bottles of Flitz Preclean you used to clean the wheels? When cleaning the wheels with the Preclean did you dry the wheel off before re-spraying? I need to go through the same process.
    I went through a bottle and a half and a pack of the MiniScuff Pads, the MiniScuff pads were just as important as the PreClean, and they are very different than steel wool, they're not even steel...

Also, what are the brand names of the two different wheels you polished? I'm curious to know if I have the higher or lower quality wheel you mentioned.

Thanks for the help
    Can't help you... can't even help me... neither of the two brands of wheels I own have any kind of branding on them, they have wheel size numbers but no brand name.

I wish I new the brand... of both, that way I would know specifically what I'm looking for and specifically what to avoid...

The good slotted mags have an extra rib between the slots and the flange where the lug nuts go through is thicker.

Huge difference though... I going to take some pictures and take some measurements that show the differences but not till tomorrow and it's for a different discussion forum for classic Blazers and Jimmys, I'll send you the link via PM

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the wheels. Slotted "mags" have always been my favorite wheel. Love 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mike. I too am into polishing Aluminium since I ride motorcycles (Harleys, LOTS of alumi) and I must say, GREAT job. Keep it up bud, without you I have no motivation ^_^ ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mr. Phillips, You are trully the Chip Foose of detailing! The wheels came out absolutely clean/restored, and you get to work in the AG shop... It doesn't get better then that! Great resto
    I don't want it to look wet, I want it to look Soaked!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Hi Mr. Phillips, You are trully the Chip Foose of detailing! The wheels came out absolutely clean/restored, and you get to work in the AG shop... It doesn't get better then that! Great resto
    Omg....how weird is that.......i said that exact same thing to my wife 2 days ago..........Looks like you've made a hellova impression Mike....Kudos.

Mike Phillips

It took me around 2 months to locate the correct lug nuts to bolt the wheels to my truck, but I finally got my tires swapped over and the wheels and tires mounted to my truck.

I'm still looking for another set of 2 or 4 Slotted Mags in the same size for my next set of tires. If you know of any 8-bolt, 16.5 Slotted Mags and wider is better, please shoot me a PM or e-mail.

I have 2 really high quality slotted mags so only need 2 more but would buy a matching set of premium quality mags.

Post Thanks / Like

forgive me, mike but why not just have the wheels media blasted then professionally polished to a near chrome look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -z yaaaa- View Post
    forgive me, mike but why not just have the wheels media blasted then professionally polished to a near chrome look?
    I was wondering if there was a way to coat those wheels with clear so they wouldn't need polished as often. I'm wondering if it isn't two different types of aluminum. Dunno...

Those slots are my favorite wheel design. I'd like to have a set of heavy plated chrome wheels like them.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

well you can actually chrome aluminum just dont expect it to last during harsh salty winters on something like a wheel. gm had a hell of a time with this around the 2000-2004 era and literally said screw chroming wheels were just gonna use chrome hubcaps that cover the wheel and look identical to it instead.

personally, ive had aluminum items cleared with paint as well as powdercoat. the paint likes to flake off and the powdercoat makes it look more or less like a shiney silver or kind of that lame chrome spray paint.

chroming would be a great option if you would keep up on cleaning them etc. hit up rbchroming.com for any and all aluminum chroming.

Mike Phillips

Umm... because I make things shiny for a living? I enjoy making things shiny for a living and I like to show others how to make things shiny for a living. Good question though...

Because I like to be able to always be able to "maintain" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

I was wondering if there was a way to coat those wheels with clear so they wouldn't need polished as often. I'm wondering if it isn't two different types of aluminum. Dunno...
    If you have SOLID aluminum wheel, --> you <-- can always work on them whether light maintenance polishing or restoration. No big deal, whip out a can of aluminum polish and go to town.

If you coat them somehow, now you have to take care of the coating and since it's going to be thin you will run into problems over time. The aluminum is thick because it "is" the wheel, not a coating on the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Those slots are my favorite wheel design.
    Me too. Over the summer I picked up another set for my new truck project.

well you can actually chrome aluminum just dont expect it to last during harsh salty winters on something like a wheel. gm had a hell of a time with this around the 2000-2004 era and literally said screw chroming wheels were just gonna use chrome hubcaps that cover the wheel and look identical to it instead.

personally, ive had aluminum items cleared with paint as well as powdercoat. the paint likes to flake off and the powdercoat makes it look more or less like a shiney silver or kind of that lame chrome spray paint.

chroming would be a great option if you would keep up on cleaning them etc. hit up rbchroming.com for any and all aluminum chroming.
    Nope... the entire idea behind owning solid aluminum wheels is to NOT have a coating that will fail at some point or be THIN so that you're limited as to what can be done and how often it can be done.

Maybe I'm the only one that gets the solid, polishable medium of aluminum?

To each their own but for me the solid, aluminum slotted wheel is the best wheel on the market hands down. Strong, lightweight, good looking and always timeless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast