autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dampsanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

I've read many posts regading measuring the film thickness using an elcometer or similar gauge. While I believe this to be a good tool it is also important to remember this reflects the total of all layerings (phosphate, ecoat, primer, basecoat and clearcoat). My experience with automotive manufacturers while being a OEM coatings supplier has taught me certain areas to be very aware of such as the back corners of the hood where automation tends to rise to the roof while not hitting the A-post. The meat or centers of every panel generally has adequate clearcoat for sanding.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dampsanding Tools Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

That is a relief. You should have ample time to complete the return: it is best to get it finished with as soon as possible, and not wait until Jan 31st as some people do.

Could you speed things up by preparing the figures on a spreadsheet in advance? That is what I do.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 01ragtop View Post
    I've read many posts regading measuring the film thickness using an elcometer or similar gauge. While I believe this to be a good tool it is also important to remember this reflects the total of all layerings (phosphate, ecoat, primer, basecoat and clearcoat). My experience with automotive manufacturers while being a OEM coatings supplier has taught me certain areas to be very aware of such as the back corners of the hood where automation tends to rise to the roof while not hitting the A-post. The meat or centers of every panel generally has adequate clearcoat for sanding.

Good points.

I look at Paint Thickness Gage tools as a BIG PICTURE INDICATOR tool.

That is they help me make the Go or No Go decision.

Once you start sanding you're committed and that's when just how big of a job this type of project is really starts to sink in.

Mike Phillips

Re: Dampsanding Tools Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Motrecrerbnom View Post
    That is a relief. You should have ample time to complete the return: it is best to get it finished with as soon as possible, and not wait until Jan 31st as some people do.

Could you speed things up by preparing the figures on a spreadsheet in advance? That is what I do.

I have know idea what you're talking about. Sounds like taxes and tax season and this is a thread about wet sanding.

Reading through your posting history there's a few posts that don't make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that El Camino looks like a million bucks! Nice work Mike!

Fantastic article as well. I have read over it in the past, just don't know why I didn't comment before.

Post Thanks / Like

It becomes apparent to even a person unfamiliar with detailing when they are in the presence of a titan in the field. Looking at this article leaves me in awe, at both Mike's knowledge, preparation, and expertise, AND in his ability to convey his knowledge to others.

Truly a master in his field and an exceptional teacher.

Thanks for all you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Question...

I've read this article a couple of times since you posted it, Mike, and this time I noticed something in the photo's that may or may not have been talked about in the posts following. If it was covered then please disregard.

Did you pull the tape off in between the compounding and polishing stages?
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post

It becomes apparent to even a person unfamiliar with detailing when they are in the presence of a titan in the field. Looking at this article leaves me in awe, at both Mike's knowledge, preparation, and expertise, AND in his ability to convey his knowledge to others.

Truly a master in his field and an exceptional teacher.

Thanks for all you do.

Thank you for the compliment. I worked REALLY HARD on this article. I know car paint is thin and ANYONE doing any type of sanding, be it hand sanding or machine sanding, needs to be careful so they don't make a mistake and being careful means knowing what the heck you're doing. This means knoweldge.

Again, thanks for the kind words... it is much appreciated...

Post Thanks / Like

I have discovered a way to reduce your polishing time by at least 50%. Please let me know if you are interested in increasing profits and truput and enhancing you consistent finish. Obviously not a Aiutogeek first step except it will use a 3M Sander as shown above. Hopefully I can help you. Please email me if interested Don@grandriverdetailing.com. Oh you may be able to polish with an Autogeek preferred polish but you will have to test this on your own. Thanks

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

For my buddy Al who is about to tackle damp sanding a 1941 Mahogany Chris Craft

I have sent you an e-mail sharing what you'll need to tackle this project.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast