autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The difference between a swirl and squirrel

My wife just wanted me to wash/wax the car. I did that, but now when I wash the car I keep feeling "grit" in the paint and I wish I'd clayed it to begin with.

I'm biding my time and waiting for her to be out of the way so I can get it done right.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it that's why I stopped going to car shows.If there paint is shiney that's all they care about .If it's full of swirls and you approach them in a friendly matter about detailing there car,they will tell you that they just waxed it and a majority of car club shows don't know what a swirl is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I'm biding my time and waiting for her to be out of the way so I can get it done right.
    Uh oh, I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounded...

4. Likes PaulMys, dman68 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

Love it that's why I stopped going to car shows. If there paint is shiney that's all they care about .

If it's full of swirls and you approach them in a friendly matter about detailing there car, they will tell you that they just waxed it and a majority of car club shows don't know what a swirl is.

Absolutely correct Jeff.

In my life I've NEVER had any luck trying to talk to the car owners at cars shows about their totally swirled out bitchen rides. It's like the title of my article states,

They don't know the difference between a swirl or a squirrel

The guy that buffed out this car did it himself...

6. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I stopped going to car shows after like two times.

I love cars, but I’d rather admire one perfectly polished out ride than see like 300 cars swirled out.

It’s kind of a sensitive subject if it gets brought up. Not worth getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

So true Mike.

People look at my car and they go, "Wow, I want my car to look like that!" Then, I think, . . . really? Are you sure?

If you only knew the time it took and what I had to do to get my car looking like that!

Be careful what you wish for.

:-)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry0 View Post

So true Mike.

People look at my car and they go, "Wow, I want my car to look like that!" Then, I think, . . . really? Are you sure?

If you only knew the time it took and what I had to do to get my car looking like that!

Be careful what you wish for.

:-)

Yeah.... I would agree with you Jerry. Most people don't know how much time and perspiration is required to achieve a swirl-free finish and the other side of that coin is most people don't know what it takes to maintain the swirl free finish.

I wrote this article on January 28th, 2010 - that would be approximately 7 months after I cam to work for Autogeek after leaving Meguiar's. I never meant for this to be a "funny detailer's joke" but it kind of turned out that way.

I share these pictures in a majority of my Power Point Presentations for my detailing classes but also for all my classes including Mobile Tech Expo,

Most people only want 4 things and they probably don't even know they want these 4 things.

1. Shiny Paint
    2. Clear Glass
    3. Black Tires
    4. Fresh Clean Interior

They don't know the difference between a swirl and squirrel.

For clarification...

This is a Squirrel

These are Swirls

So HUNDREDS and probably thousands of people have seen this Squirrel/Swirl article via the forum and also in all the classes. Bob Eichelberg, the President of FLEX North America has been to a number of classes and events around the world with Renny Doyle and he says Renny shares this saying all the time, that is most people don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl.

So without trying, it has become common knowledge in the detailing world.

Yancy told me he created a T-shirt with this saying and then a picture of a squirrel and a swirl but it never made it to production. I'd wear one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Most people only want 4 things and they probably don't even know they want these 4 things.

1. Shiny Paint
    2. Clear Glass
    3. Black Tires
    4. Fresh Clean Interior

I love this thread as most people have no clue that swirls even exist.

Another feature that most people are looking for is some type of protection on their paint for the winter.

Some guys have the attention span of a dog. You can easily lose them if you mention the word SQUIRREL during a lecture.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

One of my all time favorite articles.

I use the swirls and squirrels pictures and anology in almost all of my Power Point Presentations for Mobil Tech Expo each year since 2010.

So many detailers have seen these pictures and know the story - always get good laughs.

13. Likes mc2hill, PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One of my all time favorite articles.

I use the swirls and squirrels pictures and anology in almost all of my Power Point Presentations for Mobil Tech Expo each year since 2010.

So many detailers have seen these pictures and know the story - always get good laughs.

A guy brought a Ford GT into our dealership for the airbag recall on Tuesday.

Mind you, we have one on the showroom floor with an asking price of 238k....

Anyway, it is dark blue, and as he is standing in the parking lot with an audience talking about it, I walk up to admire it.

SWIRL city!! Does he care about the paint? Nope. Just the fact he has a GT with no visible dirt on it is ok with him.

Crazy how some people are either clueless, uninformed, or simply do not care.

Even with a car worth almost a quarter million.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast