autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Mike you bring up a very valid point here. There's a fine line between doing "a little extra something" for a customer and wasting time & product doing something they will never appreciate. It takes experience and discipline to know just when to stop and when "good enough" matches the customer's expectations and the amount charged.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I think this principle also applies to repair shops - they only do as much as they think the customer cares about. I got my car back 6 weeks ago after the repair of 2 panels. The paint had swirls and terrible lack of clarity. I noticed this as soon as I picked it up. They said wait a month and we will address the problem once the paint cures. They were nice enough to provide a loaner while they buffed/polished the paint. Now the paint looks great. The point being they weren't going to more than necessary if the customer didn't care.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally appreciate this advice.

This is also why most people should never buy a black car. It shows everything and then they hate it because the paint didn't "last."

Mike Phillips

At the Mobile Tech Expo I used this article in one of my classes and everyone got a kick out of the comparison.

Later, out by the pool during the meet & greet, I was walking towards a group of guys that attended the class where I used this article and just at that moment a large squirrel ran by me so they pointed it out in case I didn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel. We all had a good laugh...

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing post. I'd say well more then half the people I have detailed for have no idea what a "swirl mark" really is... Even on smaller "mini-details" where I just clay/wax with a PC people always tell me WOW ALL THE SWIRLS ARE GONE!(They are not gone)... I just nod. =P

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread Mike - thanx We sell more one step polishes then anything on autos and when I explain to them that 50 % of the swirl marks will be removed, many of them look at me with some blank eyes lol - they just want shiny swirl marks. Same applied when I was training ju jitsu : guy was concerned that if he wore a jacket out and about that if he got in an altercation he would get choked out by his own jacket lol (beginner student) - instructor reiterated to him that 99.9% of people out there have no clue how to choke you out with your own jacket and that he had a one up on everyone. Same thing I think lol.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post

This is a great thread Mike - thanx

We sell more one step polishes then anything on autos and when I explain to them that 50% of the swirl marks will be removed, many of them look at me with some blank eyes lol - they just want shiny swirl marks.

Exactly.

That's one of the points I try to share with people new to detailing for money in this article,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

That is, the majority of people own "Daily Drivers" and don't know the difference between a swirl and squirrel, so match your services to your customer and instead of selling this demographic group of people a multiple-step show car detail keep it simple and sell them a one-step cleaner wax for the paint segment of the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Exactly.

That's one of the points I try to share with people new to detailing for money in this article,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

That is, the majority of people own "Daily Drivers" and don't know the difference between a swirl and squirrel, so match your services to your customer and instead of selling this demographic group of people a multiple-step show car detail keep it simple and sell them a one-step cleaner wax for the paint segment of the job.

Are there any one step cleaner waxes that have the durability of Collonite products?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coorsman View Post
    Are there any one step cleaner waxes that have the durability of Collinite products?
    I don't know of any studies that prove anything conclusively. This would make a great "Dedicated Thread" versus tagging it on to this topic though if you feel like starting one on the Detailing 101 forum group.

From my article list under,

Tips, Techniques and How-to Articles for Interacting on Discussion Forums

Post Thanks / Like

What the best cleaner-wax available as a universal tool to keep in my collection Mike/others?

AMAZING article by the way.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast