autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Any chance the AG photo gallery will get updated?
    I'd have to check with Jason...

Again, anytime I'm happy to work with you over the phone and show you how to get your photos uploaded.

Send me a sample photo to my e-mail first: Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Let me see if I can upload it to you gallery and if so then give me a call and we'll walk through it together.

Up to you... I don't care what people use so much as I do having pictures disappear over time... After 7-8 years of watching pictures disappear, like I said it kind of ruins a thread to see the text but no pictures.

And you've got Dwayne as a resource for Photobucket which is a kind offer...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Again, anytime I'm happy to work with you over the phone and show you how to get your photos uploaded.

Let me see if I can upload it to you gallery and if so then give me a call and we'll walk through it together.

Up to you... I don't care what people use so much as I do having pictures disappear over time... After 7-8 years of watching pictures disappear, like I said it kind of ruins a thread to see the text but no pictures.

Since I use this forum to learn, I fully appreciate pictures to complete the story. Having them on this forum should keep them permanent for future viewers.

I still owe Mark (07 z-oh-6) a comparison of different interior dressings and need to get the pictures uploaded AND usable so your offer is grately appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Mike,

I sent you a photo that was already compressed to your email address. I will give you a call.

Post Thanks / Like

this is a test.

hey this works

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post

hey this works

Nice work! Nice talking to you too...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Is there any way to delete a photo once it has been uploaded to the gallery?

Thanks.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Mac. Using both Firefox and Safari, if I try and upload any more than 2 photos at a time, it fails. It processes for a short time ("uploading"), but eventually it just goes back to the upload page as if all the clicking never happened.

Makes for a tedious process...

Suggestions?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwtaco View Post
    I have a Mac. Using both Firefox and Safari, if I try and upload any more than 2 photos at a time, it fails. It processes for a short time ("uploading"), but eventually it just goes back to the upload page as if all the clicking never happened.

Makes for a tedious process...

Suggestions?
    Yes.

Send me one of the pictures and let me troubleshoot by trying to upload it myself. I upload pictures almost everyday without a hitch using the techniques shared in my tutorials and using the software that I normally use.

Heck here's just one example of over 100 pictures that I've cropped, resized, uploaded and then inserted into a thread...

1939 Lincoln Zephyr - Swirls Removed - Modeled by Nicole

Post Thanks / Like

mike,
    i can get pics uploaded 1-2 at a time. it's just that i can't batch load any more than that.

email with 5 pics sent to mike.phillips@autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwtaco View Post
    mike,
    i can get pics uploaded 1-2 at a time. it's just that i can't batch load any more than that.

email with 5 pics sent to mike.phillips@autogeek.net

Here's why you're having trouble... you're pictures are freaking HUGE!

The picture size is 1936 pixels wide by 2592 pixels tall!

I understand how convenient it is to simply take photos off your camera's memory stick and directly upload them to a photo gallery but it's not a very good use of anyone's resources.

Resources = A hard drive somewhere that someone has to pay for $$$

That's why I resize all my picture before uploading them, two reasons,

1. It's called being a good steward with your resource, in this case it's Max's servers, in the case of Photobucket or Flickr it's their resources and if you have a FREE account you only get so much room before it's no longer free or you start deleting old pictures to make room for new pictures and then leave a trail of red x's all over the Internet.

2. It's good "netiquette" to resize your pictures before sharing on any website so you don't force your reader to horizontal scroll.

I took about 20 seconds to resize your picture using free software I use everyday for this kind of work called Easy Thumbnails.

Then the picture uploaded instantly. Here's one of the pictures you sent me that was 1936 pixels wide by 2592 pixels tall now that it's been resized to 600 pixels wide. (I don't care what the height is, in my tutorial I explain why)

This is MORE than big enough to get your point across, that is you're sharing a picture of a bottle of wax.

600 Pixels Wide

Here's my article on how to resize photos using Easy Thumbnails, I include screen shots and text that explains how to resize your photos before uploading them ANYWHERE on the Internet. It's really not that hard to do if you just invest a little tiny amount of time into teaching yourself how do do it.

How to resize your photos before uploading to a photo gallery

Modern cameras take great pictures that are also incredibly HUGE and way to large to post to a discussion forum without resizing.

2 things,
    1. Sharing a photo that is so large that your force your reader to horizontal scroll defeats your purpose of sharing your photo.

A good rule of thumb is to resize your photos to 800 pixels wide if your really want to show a large photo. By doing this, the majority of the people in the world will be able to see the entire picture without having to horizontal scroll.

Anytime someone has to horizontal scroll to see an entire picture they can't really see the entire picture because as they scroll to one side on their monitor to see what's not on the screen, a portion of the picture on the opposite side of the screen is disappearing off the monitor.

Therefore they can never really see the entire photo which kind of takes away from the value of the photo and usually the goal of the poster, (to show a photo, not a portion of a photo).
    2. Uploading HUGE pictures files requires more space on the host's server. It's not a responsible use of your hosts server space or hard drive space and over time, if everyone simply uploads huge files like your huge pictures, it uses up a lot of your hosts resources. Not a big deal if the forum is a flash-in-the-pan but if someone is in this for the long run, (like Autogeek Online), then it is important to be a good steward of AG's resources.
    This is 600 pixels wide
    (I drove a Scoop for a Pulp Mill in this shot)

This is 700 pixels wide
    (Machine applying wax to Nate's 1966 Batmobile recreation)

This is 800 pixels wide
    (This picture was taken with an early Sony Mavica Camera)

It's really not that hard to resize your pictures to a "Viewable Size" which is a courtesy to both your reader and whoever's photo gallery you're uploading your pictures to.

I first started using Easy Thumbnails when I was looking for software to help me make Avatars without distorting the original picture. What I found out is that it works great for not only making huge pictures tiny, (most Avatars are small), but it works great for making huge pictures ANY size, like 800 pixels wide.

The software is very easy to use but to flatten out your learning curve, here's some screenshots that will show you how to set it up.

Easy Thumbnails Website

Screenshot of the Easy Thumbnails Website

Create and name a folder Easy Thumbnails on your C-drive in either your Download folder or the Program Files folder on your Hard Drive and then click the Free Download button on the left hand side of the page and a dialog box will appear. Click on the Save button, and save it to the EZ Thumbnail folder you created on your C-drive.

After the program is finished downloading, go to that folder and double click on the .exe file and your now in business.

There are three tabs across the top of this software program. The only tabs you need to be concerned is the Files and Settings tabs.

The Files Tabs enables you to browse to the folder in which you keep your pictures, this would be where it says, Look in.

Towards the bottom of the page you will see the words, Save in, over to the left is a button, the shape of a square. By clicking on this button, you can choose where the Easy Thumbnails programs saves the pictures you resize. This can be the same folder the pictures are in, or a different folder.

Now click the Settings tab.

In the settings tab, there are three settings you need to be aware of.

The Max Width setting
    The Maximum Width setting is used to adjust the width of your pictures. For most discussion forums 500 to 800 pixels wide is the maximum width you want to make your pictures. Otherwise, you will force the reader to horizontal scroll. I switch between 600 and 800 pixels wide on most of the photo's I upload.

The PhotoPost software that Autogeek Online uses for archiving and displaying photos automatically resizes photos to two different widths if your pictures are larger than 600 pixels wide. These would be,

* Thumbnail

* 600 pixels wide, This is the first size photo you click to when you click on a thumbnail.

If you upload a picture wider than 600 pixels wide you can get to that size by clicking on the 600 pixel wide photo and this is where you get the HUGE pictures that you often see in a thread because the original wasn't resized before uploading. You can read more about this here,

How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message

The Max Height setting
    The Maximum Height setting should be set to a very high number, like 100000000. The reason for this is because the Easy Thumbnail software will resize your photo's using the Max Width setting as a baseline. The height will be configured optimally according to the original photo's dimensions. That is of course as long as the number in the Max Height is larger than any photo you are resizing, (Which for most people, 100000000 pixels should be taller than any photo you can take). With settings like this, Easy Thumbnails will automatically resize the photo based solely upon the width you choose and there will be NO DISTORTION of the pictures.

If you are going to resize a photo that is taller than it is wide, then set your Maximum Width to something like 300 or 400 pixels wide. (After you do a couple of tall pictures, you will see what I mean.

The Prefix/Suffix setting
    The Prefix/Suffix setting inserts a prefix number in front of the original file name. You can use this to help you identify the files you have created using Easy Thumbnails. For example: If your photo is named, car.jpg and the original photo is 800 pixels wide. If you put 600 in the Max Width setting, and then put 600_ in the Prefix setting, after you click on the Make button to resize the photo, the new photo you will have made will be called, 600_car.jpg

If you leave this setting blank, it will add nothing to the name of the photo.

Be warned that if your Save in folder is the same as your original photo folder, then your original photo will be overwritten and be the new size you have put into the Max Width setting.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you want to keep your original photos the same size for safe keeping, then you should either put some type of prefix in the Prefix setting box, or make your Save in folder something different than where your original photos are stored. If you don?t want to fill up your hard drive with space hogging pictures, and keeping an original copy of your photos isn?t important to you, then go a head and leave the Prefix setting box blank, and save your photo?s into the same folder the original photos are stored in.

Give this free program a try, it works great and from what I can tell it has never distorted any of my photos in anyway.

Here's some other articles I've written on working with photos on discussion forums...

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

How to crop out the fluff and resize your pictures! - Using FREE online software!

How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery

How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message

Handiest little picture viewer tool I've been using for years now...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast