autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: Man versus Machine

Quote Originally Posted by juliom2 View Post

An Arsenal of info!!!!

This article actually has a LOT of detailed information about how to do a multiple step process by hand if someone really wants to work by hand AND create a show car finish, not merely spread some product around and wipe it off.

Lot's of passion is required for any correction steps thought... see this article about passion...

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This article actually has a LOT of detailed information about how to do a multiple step process by hand if someone really wants to work by hand AND create a show car finish, not merely spread some product around and wipe it off.

Lot's of passion is required for any correction steps thought... see this article about passion...

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

This is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for. I am tired of hand polishing as it is tiring and it is almost impossible to actually correct anything.

I was wondering if it would be better to use a polish that is filler heavy instead - something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish? It will fill and mask most minor imperfections.

My point is, either get a machine or get a filler heavy polish rather than wasting time & energy with stuff like Ultimate Compound by hand. I could be completely wrong though, just looking for reasons not to buy a DA really.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post

This is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for. I am tired of hand polishing as it is tiring and it is almost impossible to actually correct anything.
    What you can do depends on how badly you want it. I can remove #2000 grit sanding marks by hand and have articles that show this and explain how to do it. But that's for demo purposes only as it's just to fast and easy to do this type of work by machine.

Here's one thing I like to point out about the topic of hand polishing,

It takes MORE SKILL to remove defects, (remove paint), by hand than it does to do so by machine. A lot more skill and muscle too.

I was wondering if it would be better to use a polish that is filler heavy instead - something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish? It will fill and mask most minor imperfections.
    Personal preference. I will say this though that even if a product does a good job of filling it will likely wear-off fairly fast if the car in question is a daily driver.

Lots of people have good luck with Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze.

My point is, either get a machine or get a filler heavy polish rather than wasting time & energy with stuff like Ultimate Compound by hand.
    Actually, with good technique Ultimate Compound works great for removing paint by hand to undo years of swirls and scratches. After good abrasive technology, when it comes to working by hand it's all about technique.

Plus the common sense to use some type of cloth for your applicator material instead of foam. Cotton terrycloth for example can be used AS AN ABRASIVE. Together with the abrasives in the Ultimate Compound you have two types of abrasives working for you plus your arm and hand muscles.

I could be completely wrong though, just looking for reasons not to buy a DA really.
    Machine polishing is the only way to go....

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this post got brought back up, some really good info. I can't believe the time Mike takes to write all this out. Thanks Mike

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345