autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Mike,

How did you get a perfect circle on the terry cloth towel? When I tried it, the other parts of the towel would get wrapped up within a second of turning the polisher on.
    Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    Mike, in your technique, do you lay the terry towel on the pad, place your hand against it applying pressure to absorb excess liquid/residues and let the towel spin with the pad? Or how do you keep the towel from spinning? That's what the above pics make it look like, I imagined wrapping the terry around 2-3 fingers and pressing against the moving pad to breakup the polish/paint buildup. TIA
    What i learn to do taught by MIke is Hold the terry in the palm of you hand place the pad on top of the and hold the towel against the pad while you turn on the machine need to hold it fairly firm so it doesn't get pulled out of you hand.Like 07 said if not the towel can get wrapped up.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    What i learn to do taught by MIke is Hold the terry in the palm of you hand place the pad on top of the and hold the towel against the pad while you turn on the machine need to hold it fairly firm so it doesn't get pulled out of you hand.Like 07 said if not the towel can get wrapped up.
    I tried this on the Flex today at speed 4. My towel just spins with the buffer and eventually got stuck, I had to pull it out by force. So that means, I have to hold and press it firmly to the point where it doesn't move?

Post Thanks / Like

I still can't figure out how, with an open palm, you can keep the towel from spinning with the pad. Wrap the corners around thumb/pinky? I think a video is in order.

Mike Phillips

I just hold the towel in my hand and then against the face of the pad.

I've been demonstrating this for years in front of large groups of people and practice doing it in a way to show a circle of transferred spent product and removed paint residue because that type of picture creates a mental anchor that drives the point home.

We're shooting a new video Saturday and I'll see if we can do a clean your pad on the fly video...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    We're shooting a new video Saturday and I'll see if we can do a clean your pad on the fly video...
    That would be great info for the forum, Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anson89 View Post
    I tried this on the Flex today at speed 4. My towel just spins with the buffer and eventually got stuck, I had to pull it out by force. So that means, I have to hold and press it firmly to the point where it doesn't move?
    I don't clean my pads on the fly while using the flex.Cleaning the pad on the fly i believe is more used with a pc .I don't think you can really hold a towel against a flex Bp without it getting ripped out of your hand .Maybe Mike can chime in on that.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can really hold a towel against a flex Bp without it getting ripped out of your hand. Maybe Mike can chime in on that.
    That's why it doesn't work for me...Flex=Forced rotation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    That's why it doesn't work for me...Flex=Forced rotation
    It's four months now, need to change the number
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

It's four months now, need to change the number
    You really ARE keeping your eye on me huh?

Well my confusion is gone, thanks Harleyguy and Mike. I was in the other room with my Flex in one hand and a terry cloth towel in the other... Why won't this work for me... LOL
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 02-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Mike Phillips

Cleaning the pad on the fly i believe is more used with a PC .

Maybe Mike can chime in on that.
    Be happy to...

The original article I wrote on "How to clean your pad on the fly" was targeted at cleaning pads one the fly while use a Porter Cable DA style polisher, that would include,

• Porter Cable 7424XP and all Porter Cable variations of this model
    • The Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher
    • The Meguiar's G110v2 and all variations of this mode

It's also a way you can clean a foam pad on a rotary buffer but you want to be careful so you don't hurt yourself by getting your towel caught into the spinning pad and pulling your hand into the mix at the same time.

We'll shoot a video on both techniques tomorrow.

I don't think you can really hold a towel against a flex Bp without it getting ripped out of your hand .
    Correct.

You can't hold a towel against a foam pad on the Flex 3410 in the same way you would for a DA style polisher, it will simply be pulled out of your hand and flung into the air or onto the ground.

Lets go back and take a look at how we got to this point of the discussion on the topic of using the cleaning your pad on the fly technique in this thread...

07 z-oh-6 posted, (Note the part I made bold and blue

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Mike,
    How did you get a perfect circle on the terry cloth towel?

When I tried it, the other parts of the towel would get wrapped up within a second of turning the polisher on.

07 z-oh-6 didn't mention what type of polisher he was using. From the thread I think it became apparent he was referring to a Flex 3401.

Now lets go look at my original post to this thread, after the blue clickable link, which I start all my article with so the title of the article can be quickly highlighted and copied and then pasted into any message on any forum on the Internet to link back to the article, (a speed and efficiency thing), the first sentence starts out...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

When using a dual action polisher
    Now I know that a segment of online enthusiasts will argue that a Flex 3401 is DA Polisher, that is a Dual Action Polisher and some will go on on rants about how it's one of the only true dual action polishers, in the context of this how-to article I was referring to the Porter Cable "STYLE" of polishers and if you look down towards the end of my article, you'll see I even list most if not all the specific models this article applies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek

The cleaning your pad on the fly technique works well for all the popular dual action polishers on the market including,
    • Porter Cable 7424XP
    • Porter Cable 7424
    • Porter Cable 7336
    • Ultimate Detailing Machine – The first generation was Autopia’s design. The second generation is a re-badged Porter Cable 7424
    • Meguiar’s G100a – Re-badged Porter Cable 7424, came with a lifetime warranty
    • Meguiar's G100 – Re-badged Porter Cable 7424, came with a 1 year warranty.
    • Meguiar’s G110 – Meguiar’s design
    • Meguiar’s G220 – Meguiar’s design – 220 Volts
    • Griot’s Garage Professional Random Orbital Polisher – Griot’s design

I actually never recommended the "How to clean your pad on the fly technique" for other types of polishers. I know that in our society people are "Scanners", I do my best to break up my text with plenty of white space, write short paragraphs not huge clumps of text and place bold headings on top of paragraphs that tell the reader what the rest of the text will be about but it's all to easy for people to scan and not read the entire article.

If you're using a Flex 2401 and you need a way to clean your pad as your work around the car there are some options.

• Turn the polisher off and scrape any built-up residue off using a nylon brush like a toothbrush
    • Use a pad washer like the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer
    • Turn the polisher off and use a terry cloth towel bunched up in one hand and scrub any residue off.
    • Switch to a clean, dry pad
    • Remove your pad off the Flex and place it either on a DA Polisher or a Rotary Buffer to clean your pads using the the methods that work best with each of these tool.

The really cool feature about the Flex 3401, that is the FORCED ROTATION dual action motion of the buffing head which give it more power to remove defects than the Porter Cable style polisher but with less risk than a Rotary buffer also means that it doesn't work well for the "Clean your pad on the Fly" technique.

And that's just how it is...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast