autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post

Hi Mike, I have a question about the pad washer. I am thinking about purchasing the Universal Grit Guard washer today. Can this be used to clean the pads "on the fly" with my Rupes 21? I guess the only concern I have is the moisture after drying the pad. I would assume that the pad would not be completely dry after the drying step correct?

Would that little bit of moisture affect the performance of the Rupes compounds and polishes?

The answer to your question is "yes".

You want to use the Grit Guard Pad Washer to clean your pad right after use as that is the easiest time to "clean" the pad, (while compounds and polishes are still wet). But then set that pad aside to dry before using it again and switch to a clean, dry pad.

Kind of ties into this concept

one pad per panel

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

Don't try to buff out entire cars with only a few pads. It will wear your pads out and wet pads don't work as well as dry pads thus >you< will be less effective in your work and buffing out a car will take you longer.

Now days, I ALWAYS take a picture of how many pads I went through to buff out a car. A picture tells a thousand words.

Here's everything I used for this old 2-door Ford

Full BLOWN RUPES Show Car Detailing on a Full Blown 1936 Ford Streetrod by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The answer to your question is "yes".

You want to use the Grit Guard Pad Washer to clean your pad right after use as that is the easiest time to "clean" the pad, (while compounds and polishes are still wet). But then set that pad aside to dry before using it again and switch to a clean, dry pad.

Kind of ties into this concept

one pad per panel

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

Don't try to buff out entire cars with only a few pads. It will wear your pads out and wet pads don't work as well as dry pads thus >you< will be less effective in your work and buffing out a car will take you longer.

Now days, I ALWAYS take a picture of how many pads I went through to buff out a car. A picture tells a thousand words.

Here's everything I used for this old 2-door Ford

Full BLOWN RUPES Show Car Detailing on a Full Blown 1936 Ford Streetrod by Mike Phillips

Wow, thats a lot of pads and polishers lol. I normally use 3 pads for compound and 2-3 for polish. Guess I need to step up my game. Thanks for the response!

Mike Phillips

Here's another one I documented how many pads I used...

And how many towels...

The old 2-door Plymouth came out okay...

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post

I normally use 3 pads for compound and 2-3 for polish.

What I say about dry pads working better and faster than wet pads is EASY to prove to yourself.

Next time you buff out a car using a compound and a foam cutting pad, buff out 2, 3 even 4 body panels with one foam cutting pad. Then switch to a clean dry foam cutting pads AND PAY ATTENTION TO HOW MUCH BETTER THE PAD ROTATES AND HOW MUCH BETTER THE DEFECTS ARE REMOVED.

Clean dry pads work better than wet soggy pads and this is especially true with ANY free spinning orbital polisher be it RUPES, Griot's, FLEX, Cyclo, Meguiar's Torx, Porter Cable, etc.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011