autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Open Cell Foam or Closed Cell Foam? - A simple test you can do to determine by blowing air into the pad

Open Cell Foam or Closed Cell Foam? - A simple test you can do to determine by blowing air into the pad

If you want to know if a foam pad is open cell or closed cell, here's a simple test you can do to help you determine which type of pad it is.

Try to blow air through the foam

Results from your test

If you can easily blow air through the foam chances are good this is open cell foam.

If you cannot easily blow air through the foam, chances are good this is closed cell foam.

This is me trying to blow air through a Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro white foam polishing pad. From this simple test I can tell that while the rest of the pads in the ThinPro line are open cell, the white foam polishing pad is closed cell or a hybrid variation of closed cell foam.

I cover pretty much everything you need to know about open cell and closed cell foam buffing pads as it relates to you and buffing out paint on pages 72 to 86 in The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

The chapter on foam pad technology starts on page 72

Reticulated or open cell and non-reticulated or closed cell are explained and then this section goes into the practical differences that affect you when you're buffing.

Tons of information on both foam pads and microfiber pads in just this one chapter of the book.

Get the book and read it from cover to cover and you'll know more than most detailers except the ones that have read the book or hang out on AutogeekOnline.net reading how-to articles.

On Autogeek.com

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Makes a great gift to for the detailer in your life!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open Cell Foam or Closed Cell Foam? - A simple test you can do to determine by blowing air into the pad

Thanks Mike, I'll test that method out on my new Thinpros

Open Cell Foam or Closed Cell Foam? - A simple test you can do to determine by blowing air into the pad-imageuploadedbyagonline1473255039-636863-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open Cell Foam or Closed Cell Foam? - A simple test you can do to determine by blowing air into the pad

Just admit it, Mike. You love detailing so much that you are really kissing that LC pad.......

Cool info, man. Thanks again for a pro's tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article, Mike!

Thank you for sharing!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Just admit it, Mike. You love detailing so much that you are really kissing that LC pad.......

Um.... no....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Cool info, man. Thanks again for a pro's tip.
    Simple info but if a person doesn't know it then they don't know it. I share tons of tips like this in my classes, there's no way I could list everything I share in single day. I use the term,

Brain Dump

To describe what takes place in my classes and I feel pretty confident if you talk to anyone that's taken any class I've taught, the 3-day, the 2-day, the boat class, the free classes here on Wednesday nights, or any class at Mobile Tech Expo, they will tell you I share a LOT of info... it's all trapped inside my head and during a class it naturally comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Great article, Mike!

Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks for commenting....

6. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post