autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Here's my articles on #7 I recommend reading them all...

This is the original, and incredibley in-depth article on the topic of restoring antique piant with #7 - LOTS of great info and pictures.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Here's a walk-around video I mad showing the before condition of the Hudson and explaining the technique for using #7 to restore the original paint.

Here's the TV commercial we did with the Hudson and using #7 plus Pinnacle products, which are the products I actually did use to restore the paint over the entire car.

The #7 Rub Down Technique by Mike Phillips

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

On Autogeek.com

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Outstanding Mike.

The information in these articles is priceless, working on single stage paint be it antique or not isn't for everyone but for me, I love the rawness of single stage & the delecate approach when working on antique single stage & breathing life back into it. Having the opportunity to work on antique single stage paint is a real privelage, not everyone will have that opportunity simply because we will run out of cars that are "antique single stage" & again, it's not for everyone, I know there are detailers that wouldn't cope working on an old car that isn't in A1 condition.

I know you will like this Mike - I have an original paint 59 (uhh, don't quote me on that now that I've said it) Caddy scheduled in the following months, it isn't too bad, it's oxidised but not extremely but the paint is thin, real thin. I'm looking forward to this one. This type of work doesn't come around that often & for some of us it won't come around at all.

Fantastic post Mike, these articles should've been included in your book for sure.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Outstanding Mike.
    Yeah... I never meant to write this many articles on this product from the days of the Model T it just sort of happened... the evolution of the articles led to a signle source to locate them all.

The information in these articles is priceless, working on single stage paint be it antique or not isn't for everyone but for me, I love the rawness of single stage & the delecate approach when working on antique single stage & breathing life back into it.
    Me too. Working on antique single stage paint is working on REAL paint. Modern clearcoats are basically plastic.

Having the opportunity to work on antique single stage paint is a real privelage, not everyone will have that opportunity simply because we will run out of cars that are "antique single stage"
    I agree.

Every time someone like you or I or one of our forum members restore a car with antique single stage paint there's one less car for the other guys... it is truly becoming a very rare opportunity.

I know you will like this Mike - I have an original paint 59 (uhh, don't quote me on that now that I've said it) Caddy scheduled in the following months, it isn't too bad, it's oxidised but not extremely but the paint is thin, real thin. I'm looking forward to this one. This type of work doesn't come around that often & for some of us it won't come around at all.
    Slow and gentle...

The paint on Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson was also very thin. I tool pictures where you could see the primer just starting to peak through. Rub too hard in these areas and you make the black patch grow and grow and there's no undoing the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

It's hard to see in this picture here but where the yellow outline box is there's a thin spot showing black primer.

Here's the same spot from a picture I took with my iphone...

Close up cropped out of the original...

Fantastic post Mike, these articles should've been included in your book for sure.

Aaryn NZ.

Good suggestion... I always kind of thought this topic would do well as it's own title but perhaps it could be included in an update of a current book.

Post Thanks / Like

You can put me down for a copy if it's a stand alone title or a section in an updated book.

I will take plenty of pictures of the Caddy when it comes in & as you done with the Hudson it'll be done by hand, slow & gentle. The owner is a great client & has a shed full of interesting cars which I've been lucky enough to work on. Recently done a 1970 Ford Falcon GTHO (Aussie muscle car) in SS orange, had been a repaint but it looked a bit tired, didn't need #7 but the results changed his mind on selling it & he got talking about the Caddy but said the paint was real thin & didn't want to lose any more - I showed him the Hudson article YOU wrote & bang! Deal done!

1970 Falcon GTHO.

A couple of other cars form this client.

1970 Falcon ute.

1965 Mustang.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

***Update***

So far today, I have received 3 Private Messages on

How to restore single stage paint. I love it.

Most important...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Why?

Because you cannot go back in time and get the before shots. Then it's just your WORD when you tell people how bad the paint was.

So take a few moments to stop whatever it is you're doing, read the above article for tips and then take some pictures.

Trust me on this.... been there... done that....

Post Thanks / Like

. . . Funnily enough, I will be working on an earlier model Toyota Hilux in single stage red today.

I will be going the #7 route last on this one though. Gotta love these treats on a Friday. I'll be sure to capture lots of photos, & will do my best to share them here in the next couple of days.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for making it a "sticky", Mike.

I've referred a bunch of folks from other forums, such as MOL, to your M07 articles and this makes them quicker to access.
    If you remember, I've been an avid fan since your first Auto Trader Classics article back in 2009, when it helped me earn the first of a bunch of trophies with my tired, old El Camino.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post

Thanks for making it a "sticky", Mike.

I've referred a bunch of folks from other forums, such as MOL, to your M07 articles and this makes them quicker to access.

If you remember, I've been an avid fan since your first Auto Trader Classics article back in 2009, when it helped me earn the first of a bunch of trophies with my tired, old El Camino.

Bill

Thank Bill!

Sorry to say, I can no longer find my #7 article on AutoTrader.com At least these links no longer go anywhere. Must have decided to remove it from their article list. Too bad for all their hundreds of thousands of readers.

With 12,143 words and 91 photos... here are the links to the articles on AutoTraderClassic.com

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 1

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 2

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 3

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 4

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 5

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 6

AutoTraderClassics.com - Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 7

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips