autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

The dual bucket system is a great idea on its own, I always mess that step.

Thanks for the great post Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Such a good write up. I enjoy reading these so much.
    Thank you. It takes time to,

• Do the work
    • Stop working and take the pictures
    • Process the pictures and upload to the gallery
    • Add words to the pictures to create an article that is easy to read, understand and then put what was shared into use in someone else's driveway or garage.

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I'm interested, but I have one concern. It seems like there is a cost to this process and that's product.

Much more product. At least five times more product than a normal two-bucket system would use. That's not an insignificant amount, IMO.

Mike, do you feel there is a enough of an effective advantage from the foam gun over a two-bucket wash to warrant the additional cost or is it something where it just makes the washing process more fun (which is valuable in itself, but subjective)?
    I would agree with the later for most people. Using a foam gun "for me" makes the job more fun and this means more enjoyable. It would be a lot easier to go to the pool and float around with a cold one but my cars get dirty so I have to wash them. The word have does not equal fun and enjoyable.

I also like and prefer how the foam gun SLATHERS the body panel I'm washing with foam. So that's personal preference.

There must be something to it because I have the ability to wash my wife's car and my truck about a dozen different ways and I ALWAYS use a foam gun.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

Just got one of these...an early Christmas present from me to me.....it was awesome.....actually made washing the cars fun.....
    And for some people, that's important because it's no fun to do something that's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rendezvous2004 View Post

The dual bucket system is a great idea on its own, I always mess that step.
    There's two techniques to using the 2-Bucket System

1: Scrubbing the wash mitt against the grit guard insert upon returning the wash mitt to the Rinse Bucket

2: Wringing out some of the Rinse Water before dipping the wash mitt into the Wash Water bucket. The reason being is if the wash mitt is full of rinse water it cannot absorb the soapy wash water which is what you want in the mitt when you move it over a body panel.

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by rendezvous2004 View Post

Thanks for the great post Mike!

Thank you sir...

The power of a forum is the ability to share information. That's the weakness of Facebook, you're limited to sharing information in a tiny little box with no way to format text or place pictures and text in a logical and linear order.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan View Post
    Mike,

I bought one of the foam guns recently (3 weeks ago). What do you do with the soap mixture between washes? Is there any concern about soap drying & clogging the orifices? I wash my car every other week.

I just store it in the bottle attached to the foam head, and haven't run plain water through the unit to clean it.

FWIW, I rinse the car with water, do the foam gun and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse the car again. I am hoping this gets rid of a lot of the loose dirt on the car. My water is surprisingly clean when I am done washing the car. Better than the old days.

I like the foam gun, recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.

JD
    I've got the cheap plastic top version, but I cleaned out a large mouth juice jug and pour my leftover solution in it. Not a lot of soap in it, but there's still some color in it. I rinse everything and run water through at all the settings to make sure it's flushed before storing it. When it's time to use again, I put the solution back in, add soap and top up with more water.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sbrambo View Post

I've got the cheap plastic top version, but I cleaned out a large mouth juice jug and pour my leftover solution in it. Not a lot of soap in it, but there's still some color in it.

I rinse everything and run water through at all the settings to make sure it's flushed before storing it.

When it's time to use again, I put the solution back in, add soap and top up with more water.

Nice answer and perfect routine.

Thanks for chiming in and helping to answer HondaMan's question.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike. Just broke out the newly acquired foam gun today, and your instructions were perfect to a T. It definitely makes washing the car much more fun, and the dirt does come off a lot easier.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, and for all the other articles you do for us, it's greatly appreciated!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jps832 View Post
    Hi Mike. Just broke out the newly acquired foam gun today, and your instructions were perfect to a T. It definitely makes washing the car much more fun, and the dirt does come off a lot easier.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, and for all the other articles you do for us, it's greatly appreciated!

Good to hear you like your new foam gun...

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Easily one of the most in-depth articles I've ever written including lots of pictures that tell the story...

Working on a script for My Classic Car where we're going to be showing a foam gun so I'm using my own how-to article for the info....

Mike Phillips

Darn!!!!!

All the pictures are missing!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers are crossed that our vB Mechanic can figure out how to make the THOUSANDS of pictures I've posted over the last 9 years show up again!

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Darn!!!!!

All the pictures are missing!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers are crossed that our vB Mechanic can figure out how to make the THOUSANDS of pictures I've posted over the last 9 years show up again!

Me too.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" is never truer than in how-to info.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456