autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

Mike,

I bought one of the foam guns recently (3 weeks ago). What do you do with the soap mixture between washes? Is there any concern about soap drying & clogging the orifices? I wash my car every other week.

I just store it in the bottle attached to the foam head, and haven't run plain water through the unit to clean it.

FWIW, I rinse the car with water, do the foam gun and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse the car again. I am hoping this gets rid of a lot of the loose dirt on the car. My water is surprisingly clean when I am done washing the car. Better than the old days.

I like the foam gun, recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.

JD

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt, it seriously uses up the solution fast!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Great Write up. I love mine. I noticed the dilution you used is significantly more soap than I use when I use Mr. Pink yet I get as much foam. While Mr. Pink is very gentle, its awesome at sudds and foam. Am I not using enough or do you think Mr. Pink is a little more concentrated?

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone waiting for a sale, AG has the Pinnacle version marked down at the moment, with 2 oz. of Bodywork Shampoo added for free. I'm looking forward to using mine. Thanks again to Mike and the rest of you foamers.

Foamaster foam car wash gun

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up but if I read correctly, @10oz of product per wash...it had better be more fun than a lonely, wild 29 yo Italian girl who just inherited $6 billion. With my rinseless I can get 10 washes with 10oz of product. How many washes does that 32oz mixture provide assuming one is not washing an 18 wheeler?
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan View Post
    FWIW, I rinse the car with water, do the foam gun and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse the car again. I am hoping this gets rid of a lot of the loose dirt on the car. My water is surprisingly clean when I am done washing the car. Better than the old days.
    JD
    I get the same results by giving the car a quick pressure wash before doing a traditional wash--the wash water stays almost perfectly clean and most certainly has no gritty type dirt in it after the wash.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

Great write up but if I read correctly,
    Thank you but "no" you didn't read correctly. Here's a quote from my original article.

Note the portion I made BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The big picture is I want lots of suds.

In order to completely fill the 1 quart bottle with a uniform mixture of soap and water solution at the 2 ounces of soap to 6 ounces of water dilution level I fudged the math to make it EASY to mix a strong dilution of soap and suds.

If you want a weaker solution then simply add more water than I show below and less soap.

I didn't invent the foam gun nor do I make soap formulas. What I wrote explains how to make the foam gun MAKE a thick frothy layer of soap on your car.

So silverfox - mix your soap and water dilution to whatever level makes you happy. Whether that's to please your pocketbook or your taste. That's your personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox

With my rinseless I can get 10 washes with 10oz of product.
    How much foam do you get with your rinseless?

I think... and I could be wrong.... but I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't like rinseless washes myself, never use them. . I use tons of waterless washes because I work on a lot of cool cars that I don't wash classics, muscle cars and streetrods with a traditioinal wash. The rinseless method is too messy for my taste as I end up with water on the floor. Now I have to clean the floor. With a waterless wash I get the car clean and no water on the floor.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jeepngli View Post

Great Write up. I love mine.
    Thank you.

I searched the blogshere for an in-depth article on how to use the foam gun and couldn't find one that covered every base. So I wrote my own.

I noticed the dilution you used is significantly more soap than I use when I use Mr. Pink yet I get as much foam.

While Mr. Pink is very gentle, its awesome at sudds and foam. Am I not using enough or do you think Mr. Pink is a little more concentrated?

It could be the Mr. Pink is more concentrated? I don't know - I've never used it.

I have a saying that I've been posting to the forum world since the early 1990's - goes like this,

"Find something you like and use it often"

There's actually an article by that name on this forum and if you do a Google search with that title and add my name you can pull it up. In a nutshell, find a product you like and use it. If you like Mr. Pink then go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazingly thorough write-up Mike, as always. I actually never knew what those screws were for on the foam gun.

Q: In your opinion, is there any advantage for using a foam gun over a foam cannon/lance?

I personally prefer my foam cannon/lance over the foam gun because it uses less soap, less water, and produces thicker clinger foam.

I also find it more effective to foam the paint when it's dry rather than starting with a rinse. That way the foam clings longer and has more of a chance to loosen dirt and grime, then I rinse the foam and dirt off and proceed with my two bucket wash. While the foam is dwelling it gives me a chance to prep my buckets and finish washing the wheels.

- Thanks (John Rogers from Facebook)

Post Thanks / Like

Great Write up. I love mine. I noticed the dilution you used is significantly more soap than I use when I use Mr. Pink yet I get as much foam. While Mr. Pink is very gentle, its awesome at sudds and foam. Am I not using enough or do you think Mr. Pink is a little more concentrated?
    Interesting I had orignally used my foam gun with Mr. Pink and wasnt that impressed. I ended up using around 8-10oz per wash in my foam gun and went trough the gallon in no time. Personally I find Meg's Hyper Wash foams much more and cleans better than Mr. Pink (if your looking for another soap to try out after Mr. Pink that is).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast