autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by scuff View Post

And you did a great job or I probably wouldn't have bothered reading it.
    Thank you. Writing, like polishing paint is kind of an art form. I like to keep my writing simple so it's easy to read. The last thing I want to do is make people struggle to read what I write.

"Sold" seems to have struck a nerve! Mike, I'm new here, but I've read a lot of your posts and one of your books. You're clearly not the Professor Harold Hill of Detailing, and I don't think you'd ever push a product on anyone.

My apologies.

No need to apologize.... I was just trying to make sure that even though I work for Autogeek and "yes" we sell stuff (and lots of it), my sales approach is about solving problems first and then selling products. There's different styles to selling and as long as everything is above the board, it's all good.

Ha ha... I had to look up who Professor Harold Hill is... I remember the movie but don't remember watching it. Being a fan of classic movies next time it's on I'll record it.

"Convinced" would've been a more appropriate word.
    The words convinced and sold both work.

I completely agree with everything you said about a person figuring out if a product or process is right for them. I was just walking through my decision process in the thread, seeing if a foam gun would help meet my needs any better than what I currently use.

Some of my questions were borne out of a desire to find more ways to use one. From what you and others have said, it's a tool that will be in my cart soon.
    If I were to make a list of my Top 10 Favorite Tools the Foam gun would make the top ten list. But again... that's because I like and I use it. I'll be using it again today as well as tomorrow.

This picture here with the tools on the Griot's Cart I reviewed recently, I always have this cart with me when I wash cars. I'll take a picture of it next time I use it and show all the tools I have on hand when I wash a vehicle.

Review and how-to: Griot's Garage Detailing Cart at Autogeek.com

Thanks for all of your articles, tips, and stewardship of the forum.
    Thank you. I work very hard at providing the top notch customer service for all our customers and actually anyone that joins or lurks here on AGO.

PBMG made a wise move in bringing you on board.
    Hard to believe it's almost 7 years since I left Meguiar's and joined Autogeek but it's been a GREAT experience. And I have to thank Bob McKee for providing me with all the resources I need to do my job as well as the team he's assembled here at Autogeek. Bob always says,

"We're all spokes in a wheel and every spoke is just as important as the other spoke"

And he's right.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's certainly the definitive article on foam guns, and the link we'll be giving to anyone/everyone who has questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    No need to apologize.... I was just trying to make sure that even though I work for Autogeek and "yes" we sell stuff (and lots of it), my sales approach is about solving problems first and then selling products. There's different styles to selling and as long as everything is above the board, it's all good.
    That reminds me of the best car sales experience I've ever had. I was trying to find a car that was fairly rare at the time, and I discussed the purchase with the salesman before making a long drive to pick it up. The entire process was smooth and efficient, with none of the usual sale tactics employed. I asked the salesman about his approach to the job, since it was so unique in my experience. He said believed in his products or he wouldn't be associated with them. He always presented options to customers, and let them find their ideal car, even going so far as pointing them toward another brand - the Miracle of 34th Street approach. Showing that level of respect for his customers helped him become a sales leader for years. Quality products at fair prices sell themselves; no pressure required. From what I've seen, the same approach has served you and Autogeek well.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Sweet! Do they sell replacement parts for the foam gun?

I lost the brass screw on the top of the mixing head which you said is prone to being lost :-p
    Hi Eric,

I think the only replacement parts we carry are extra foam wands. Believe it or not, I've broken a wand before when I dropped the foam gun so - it happens.

Foam Wand Replacement

All foam guns and accessories on Autogeek.com

Mike Phillips

***Update***

If you re-read the article you'll see I've added about a dozen more pictures to go with all the information shared.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Great write up Mike. I love foam guns!
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

And you're correct, the foam deflector is for use in food processing applications.

They use products like foaming chlorinated de-greasers etc and the deflector lets you direct foam up under and behind the machines in the manufacturing areas.

I figured as much. I went ahead and took some pictures of the Deflector in action for anyone curious....

I've removed the foam wand and installed the deflector

And it doesn't create foam just sprayed out a very flat spray pattern. It will drain our soap solution fast... real fast

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic write up Mike. Very in depth and informative !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Fantastic write up Mike. Very in depth and informative !!!!

Thanks Pat.

I'm going to share it on my Facebook page but due to how Facebook displays information about all I can do is share some pictures and the link to this thread.

I understand why FB is popular - everyone has a phone and a thumb - but it will never be better for sharing in-depth how-to information like shared in this article.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I wonder if the foam gun manufacturer would develop a small QR shower head for use when the foaming head is detached? I think that would complement the foam gun nicely, as I find a shower pattern works well to flush a surface clean, yet still has a little force behind it to get into tighter spaces on wheels. If they kept the design small, it'd be easy to slip the QR head into a pocket when not in use. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another excellent "how-to" article with a ton of helpful pictures. Makes me want to grab the foam gun and wash my already clean, detailed garage queen!

10 oz of soap - WOW! Sure glad I purchased the gallon jug. Does AG offer a 55 gal drum?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast