autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

I'm a little sad to have to say goodbye to an old friend... #7 Show Car Glaze. Due to forces out of their control Meguiar's has reformulated #7 Show Car Glaze.

The good news is - the changes to the formula were small and have no effect on the primary ingredients that make #7 the most unique product to withstand the test of time when it comes to restoring and maintaining single stage paints.

The feature that makes #7 unique are the TS Oils or Trade Secret Oils used to create this pure, non-abrasive polish formulated back in the 1920's. The product itself, #7 Sealer Reseal Glaze I'm told by Barry Meguiar, was introduced in the 1930's but the unique oil base behind the product was created by the founder, Frank Meguiar Jr. back during the time of the Model T.

I discovered the change the night I hand rubbed the original single stage paint on a barn find, 1969 Ford Thunderbird. The technique I use to restore antique paint is to apply a heavy saturation of #7 Show Car Glaze and then let it soak in over night. The next morning I'll remove the first application and then repeat the process 2-3 more times depending upon how severe the oxidation is and how important it is to me to restore and preserve the original paint.

My normal routine is to pour a generous amount of #7 onto a cotton, terry cloth wash cloth and then work the product over and into the paint using good old-fashioned elbow grease. The trade secrete oils unique to #7 Show Car Glaze do two things,

1: Act as a lubricant between the paint and the nap or tiny loops of fiber that make up cotton terry cloth. As you rub the #7 over the paint these oils lubricate the surface as the tiny loops of fiber act as a gentle form of abrasive to gently remove years and even decades of dead oxidized paint. This is a dramatically safer approach than the knee-jerk reaction and method most detailers would use which would be to apply a coarse compound or even more caveman... wet sand.

2: The oils penetrate into the paint where they react with the pigments and restore the full richness of color.

It is these two actions that enable thousands of people I've met over the years as well as myself to safely and correctly restore antique paint on classic and antique cars and muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's.

Visual Change
    When I poured out a generous amount of the #7 Show Car Glaze onto my cotton terry cloth wash cloth I instantly noticed the difference in appearance. Normally #7 is a khaki tan to a light green in color. The product I poured out was white.

To say I was in shock would be an understatement.

It's possible that I've used #7 to restore more antique single stage paint more than anyone still breathing today. I am fully aware of how it looks, how it smells and how it feels when you rub it over paint. So when I poured some out and the color was white I knew there had been a change.

I called one of my very good contacts at Meguiar’s and told him what I just had seen with my own two eyes and he patiently put all my worst fears to rest. He told me why the change took place and completely, 100% assured me that the key ingredients that we all love about #7 are still in the formula and although one of the original ingredients is no longer being used, the replacement ingredient works better than the original in all aspects.

He strongly encouraged me to continue with the #7 Rub-down just like I would normally do and told me to pay close attention to the performance of the product and assured me that not only would it work the same that it would in face work better.

I'm here to tell you... I agree with him. And after using the new formula I'm convinced he's right - the new formula works just as good and in my opinion maybe even a tick better.

Here's a picture from when I did the #7 rub-down to the original paint on Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson Hornet.

Here's the picture I took the other night ago when I did the #7 rub-down to the original paint on the 1969 Ford Thunderbird.

I have 2 VERY cool cars coming up with the original single stage paint that I've been asked to restore for the owners. Both are rare and both are in dire need of the #7 rub-down to save the paint. I have absolute confidence in the new formula to enable me to restore the paint. While it's a little sad to say goodbye to an old friend I'm happy to say hello to my new friend updated #7 Show Car Glaze.

And just like the original single stage paint on Wayne Carini's car came out looking like brand new...

The original paint on the 1969 Ford Thunderbird came out looking like brand new....

Get you're own bottle on Autogeek.com

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze

2. Thanks Farmallluvr thanked for this post
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to update the forum Mike, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

Thanks for updating us, Mike. I noticed the different color in the T-Bird thread and was curious myself. I've been using M07 since the clear round bottle days when I painted my '67 Malibu in '71.

As you know, I massage a couple apps of M07 into my El Camino in preparation for the one show I enter each year.
    Plus, I have a good friend with an original '70 Z28 he's owned since '71 and I promised him I'd do the process on it once he gets it running again.
    I was afraid I was going to have to make the rounds of the local parts stores in search of the old stuff.

BTW, How's your own truck doing? I saw Lou and Jarred doing the transfer case/ turbo 400 and cab corners. Did you have anything else done?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Another process learned, thanks Mike!

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it still have the same scent ?

Thanks for the update

Post Thanks / Like

Never had to use it, but that is surely some Beautiful looking stuff!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post

Does it still have the same scent ?
    Yes. There's no discernible difference except for the color and the unique and unforgettable scent remains the same.

I just had lunch with Wayne Carini and before going to lunch we were in my office and I shared this thread with him. The comment he made about #7 (besides the color) is that he knows from years of experience using #7 that it has its own unique scent.

Post Thanks / Like

A "change"...in Meguiar's #7 formulation???
    NO, say it isn't so!!!

I've often found myself identifying with the
    writings of Michael Shermer in his book titled:
    "The Believing Brain", wherein he penned:

"humans have the tendency to infuse patterns
    with: Meaning; Intention; and Agency..."

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. I have an almost-new bottle of the prior version. Guess I'll hold onto that and not use it (much).

Goes well with my M16 (I have a couple of new tins).

If only I could find the M80.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great thread, Mike, with a happy ending...you scared me a little when you started out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast