autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

Mike, great article! One question, in the photos I notice you don't wear glove... How come?

Mike Phillips

Re: Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Goodbye to an old friend - hello to a new friend!

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post

Dear Mike

Do you usually polish these old gems before applying Number 7?
    Yes.

To understand why, I recommend reading the full article. Look for the word important in red text.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post

Mike, great article! One question, in the photos I notice you don't wear glove... How come?

Yeah I guess I'm not like all those other guys that you see in pictures wearing black nitrile gloves for everything, even if it's not chemical related.

Here's the deal, I went to work for Meguiar's in 1987 and back then I was told #7 along with some of the other old school products were all made using food grade ingredients. You don't want to drink #7 but back then it probably wouldn't kill you and I highly doubt it's dangerous to your skin.

That said... I highly recommend everyone wear black nitrile gloves when using chemicals or even when holding a buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I picked a bottle of this up on my last order. My car is a newer clear coated vehicle though. Will this make any difference in the paint? Any advice for using it on clear coat?
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Mike, I picked a bottle of this up on my last order. My car is a newer clear coated vehicle though. Will this make any difference in the paint? Any advice for using it on clear coat?
    Great question.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

so, just want to make sure I fully understand how to use this product as ive had a few people with older cars contact me. do I just apply this let it sit, remove and them im done? or is this just the first step before compounding? or is this more for someone who wants the paint to look richer but does not want to paint to be compounded?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post

Mike, I picked a bottle of this up on my last order.

My car is a newer clear coated vehicle though. Will this make any difference in the paint? Any advice for using it on clear coat?
    This product isn't really for new cars or new paint. It won't cause any harm but it won't do much good either and that's because a new car with new paint job doesn't really need anything except washing and waxing.

So you can apply it if you like but best results with this product are when it's used as I explain in my article here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    so, just want to make sure I fully understand how to use this product as ive had a few people with older cars contact me. do I just apply this let it sit, remove and them im done? or is this just the first step before compounding? or is this more for someone who wants the paint to look richer but does not want to paint to be compounded?
    In my experience with Megs #7 almost every car I have done I have used the same approach & most of the time I have achieved the desired results but occasionally the in between stages differ. Basically not every car is the same as the last, much the same as any car really.

Applying Megs #7 to already good condition single stage paint I feel helps preserve it long term, say - a good soak once every six months.

For the reasons of restoring antique single stage paint (Mike explains this best in his article) I like to generously "massage" Megs #7 into the paint thoroughly with a terry towel, just as Mike does & when time permits, & for best results - let it sit & soak in over night. Removal of Megs #7 times s harder than wiping wax off but some nice clean "long nap" terry towels will slice through it no problems. This is where it matters what the objective is, what the paint is like etc, as each & every car is different. Sometimes just doing up until this step is enough & I have had good success in just going this far & finishing off with a good quality wax. Additional polishing steps, compounding, or perhaps another soak with Megs #7 are all options but like I said - this is dependable on so many factors.

Using Megs #7 for restoring antique paint is a real precious opportunity & for so many in the detailing industry, most will never get such an opportunity & I urge anyone working on antique single stage paint to take your time, enjoy it & savour the moment. I have been lucky enough to do over twenty cars using Megs #7 & have two very special cars on the books awaiting the Megs #7 treatment. For me, this is the real deal up close & pure detailing I love.

Hope this helps in some way.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

8. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

***Update***

So far today, I have received 3 Private Messages on

How to restore single stage paint. I love it.

Most important...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Why?

Because you cannot go back in time and get the before shots. Then it's just your WORD when you tell people how bad the paint was.

So take a few moments to stop whatever it is you're doing, read the above article for tips and then take some pictures.

Trust me on this.... been there... done that....

10. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a visible labeling or container difference that would identify a bottle of the old formula vs the new formula?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    This product isn't really for new cars or new paint. It won't cause any harm but it won't do much good either and that's because a new car with new paint job doesn't really need anything except washing and waxing.

So you can apply it if you like but best results with this product are when it's used as I explain in my article here,

Hi Mike - i think the question was “will the same technique/process work for clear coated vehicles”.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast