autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Technique for me Mike. I've experimented with a variety of products but it wasn't until I focused on learning the right way to do things that the results improved.

Mike Phillips

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Rj967 View Post
    Technique for me Mike. I've experimented with a variety of products but it wasn't until I focused on learning the right way to do things that the results improved.

Respect your opinion.

I've used compound on the market thought that no amount of technique will make black paint look good.

So for me, you need to start out with quality abrasive technology first.

I don't think I wrote this poll correctly. I should have stated that you DON'T get to choose anything, tool, pads, compounds etc.

Then... what would be the most important factor.

I test everything on black paint and I'm telling you... there are some products on the market that technique won't make work good. So technique cannot be #1. It all starts with what's touching the paint.

I'm in the minority in this poll but I'm okay with that because I've been doing this a long time and I know what I've seen.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

At the start when things were unclear about this poll and Mike had to explain that the paint was correctable/polishable, that immediatly puts paint as number 1. Because all the abrassive technology in the world wont bring back the required shine if the clear coat has failed. So its either that or having "paint" as one of the options is tricky. Because to start this poll the paint has to be correctable hence abrasive technology becomes number 1 AFTER paint since its the deciding factor if its correctable or not. Hence having a functional poll or not.

My opinion paint #1, abrassive technology #2.
    Or abrassive tech #1 after determining that the paint in question is correctable, hence putting paint as a "given" not an option ;-)

Mike Phillips

I didn intend for the piant to be actually polishable.

So in this poll, a person would not be presented with a car that had clearcoat failure.

Scenario would be

• You're in a garage with electriciey and light.
    • Given a black car with a clearcoat finish that has swirls and scratches but can be saved.
    • No choice of tool but you get a tool with a known history of being capable of getting the job done.
    • No choice of compound or polish but you're going to get something that's an available product in the world for polising paint.
    • No choice of brand of pad but you would have foam and fiber options, i.e. foam, microfiber or wool pads.

If I was presented with that scenario, to me the most important factor would be the abrasive technology.

• The paint can be fixed as is the case with most of us in our day-to-day work.
    • The tools we all know and use all work. FLEX, PC, Griot's, Makita, DeWALT, RUPES, Meguiar's, Cyclo, fill in the blank.
    • Foam pads and fiber pads as long as they are matched to the product and tool are pretty safe.
    • Technique? I've taught absolute Newbies how to use most tools with just about any pad and great abrasive technolog and they get great results with zero experience or zero technique except for what they were just shown.

The one thing that is going to make all the difference in the world is what's touching the paint.

It's all good, however any of you want to think of it.

Me?

The most important thing when I start working on any person's car or my own car is I'm only going to use products that I know use great abrasive technology. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw the title of this thread and before seeing the options given by Mike I immediately went with polishes being most important to me.

As a mobile detailer I was struggling with excessive dusting, marring on black paint and difficulties removing polish. After trying 3D HD Cut without changing my technique or tools it was a major improvement on my work. It was a life saver for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique. You can be a pro with a PC and some Megs products and do a kick-ass job if you know how to use them.

On the other hand, you could give a guy a Flex and the most expensive products on the market, but if he has no info on how to use them, it's useless.

I liken it to this: Go get in a NASCAR car, and try and take it around Daytona. Then let Dale Earnhardt Jr. do it with the same car. Do you think it's the car, or the technique that made the 30 second difference in your lap times? Lol

Sorry Mike, I was just opining! lol

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by umana2482 View Post

When I saw the title of this thread and before seeing the options given by Mike I immediately went with polishes being most important to me.

As a mobile detailer I was struggling with excessive dusting, marring on black paint and difficulties removing polish.

While working on black paint can be a lot more difficult when you're mobile if you're also working outside in direct sunlight, if marring or "micro-marring" is taking place usually a huge part of that is the abrasive technology and if it's happening on black paint it's happening on all paint it's just you can't normally see it or at least see it easily on lighter colors.

Quote Originally Posted by umana2482 View Post

After trying 3D HD Cut without changing my technique or tools it was a major improvement on my work.

It was a life saver for me.

So it the change in abrasive technology that you would say made the improvements in results and time savings?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Technique.

You can be a pro with a PC and some Megs products and do a kick-ass job if you know how to use them.

On the other hand, you could give a guy a Flex and the most expensive products on the market, but if he has no info on how to use them, it's useless.

I still respectfully disagree.

The most important factor comes down to the product making physical contact with the paint. I've been polishing paint for a long time... I know from experience that which I speak of.

It's okay for others to think technique is the most important factor I just disagree.

I've taught thousands of people in-person how to create a flawless finish their very first time machine polishing paint. But I've always used nothing but products that use great abrasive technology.

Post Thanks / Like

To Mike's point, the cost of obtaining high quality abrasive compounds and polishes isn't to the point of being prohibitive. Especially considering the results they can get you, and the ease of doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the abrasive tech.

Go get some crappy non capable compound, and nobody will correct the paint, no matter how good your technique or machine is. Look at the correcting capabilities of now and 20 years ago.

if I show my wife how to put pad on the flex 3401, put polish on it and tell her what speed to turn the machine on and at what rate to go and she does it, I guarantee you she'll be doing some decent correcting.

on the other hand, if I give mike some no name polish from 1984 on a pc 7424, and tell him to get to work, he'll probably take longer than the amount my wife took to do a panel.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast