autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: That "Grabby" feel - Thin vs Thick MF pads on Dual Action Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was on the 5-6 speed setting, we had to de-swirl the car.

Meguiar's MF Finishing pad is still what I would consider a thin pad. The Optimum MF pads are thicker than the Meguiar's Finishing MF Pads and even these compared to the LC Rotary Buffer MF Pads are thin.

Awesome. I've gotta try the thick LC pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    One thing I find with microfiber pads on the Flex 3401 is it also helps to use a compound or polish that offers good lubricity with a long buffing cycle. Dryer products with a short buffing cycle don't work as well.

Do you have a list of such products with short/long buffing cylcles? A list detailing these attributes might come in real handy for newbies on this forum.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Do you have a list of such products with short/long buffing cycles? A list detailing these attributes might come in real handy for newbies on this forum.

I don't have a list. I prefer compounds and polishes to have long buffing cycles to start with because there's no practical downside. Any product that has a short buffing cycle or becomes dry too quickly is a negative no matter what pad, tool or technique you use with it.

Post Thanks / Like

That "Grabby" feel - Thin vs Thick MF pads on Dual Action Polishers

In Todd Helme's cutting pad comparison, the LC MF pads did very poorly with "wet" polishes. It didn't cut very well and heated up the paint higher than the others. However, he still loves the LC MF pads, but with DRIER polishes(M105). Although, he didn't incorporate a drier polish in the comparison, he still feels they work much better with those as far as cut and finish.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

So, with the flex and a thick mf pad, can you get the same cut that you could get with a thin (meg's mf pad) and a griots DA?

It's insane the amount of correction I get with this setup and 105!

Here's the catch, I've been thinking of upgrading to the flex or Rupes simply to relieve myself from the bone chattering vibration!
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    So, with the flex and a thick mf pad, can you get the same cut that you could get with a thin (meg's mf pad) and a griots DA?

It's insane the amount of correction I get with this setup and 105!

Here's the catch, I've been thinking of upgrading to the flex or Rupes simply to relieve myself from the bone chattering vibration!
    Definitely upgrade, i bought a flex a few months ago and it makes me wish i had never bought the porter cable...the flex is better in every way i can think of.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you genuinely get less vibration with the flex? The thing that has held me back is the fact that they don't have a good reputation with working with the mf pads. . .and I am a huge fan of the mf pads.

If I could get good correction with mf pads on the flex, I would switch. This thread is helping to sway me.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cplchris View Post
    Definitely upgrade, i bought a flex a few months ago and it makes me wish i had never bought the porter cable...the flex is better in every way i can think of.
    Critical Details' video of his headlight restoration using the PC made me glad I had a PC.

So I just got a 3" backing plate and MF pads for it. I will also be getting Meg's unigrit 3" discs.

So I can have a dedicated job for my PC.

I am going with the Flex too however.

The thicker MF pads seem like a nice substitute for the Flex. I am going to also try the wool foam pads on the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Critical Details' video of his headlight restoration using the PC made me glad I had a PC.

So I just got a 3" backing plate and MF pads for it. I will also be getting Meg's unigrit 3" discs.

So I can have a dedicated job for my PC.

I am going with the Flex too however.

The thicker MF pads seem like a nice substitute for the Flex. I am going to also try the wool foam pads on the Flex.
    I do the same thing. I run the 3" mf pads and unigrit discs on my pc and leave the heavy compounding with 5-6" mf pads to my griots.

I'm very satisfied with the correction I'm getting with these machines. It's just the dang vibration! It kills me I tell ya!
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    That's a good question. Every thin MF pad I've tried on the 3401, I'd say no. However, I just ordered some LC thick MF pads, so I'll report back. I'm still leaning towards they won't work as well as a MF pad/GG DA. With the 3401, the forced rotation will matte down the fibers more(regardless of what MF pad) than a GG DA, and you don't want that.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast