autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Mike how do you "word" to the potential customers the difference between production detailing and show car detailing? I understand the reasoning as noted in your first post to match to the customers demands so you're not doing a full paint correction on some daily driver that is going to go through a coin operated car wash next week. Yet all I can think was kinda from the customers view of "well what exactly am I getting if you have XYZ higher better package" almost like you're downgrading the production detail? Does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!

Post Thanks / Like

My part time business is working me into the ground!!!! I can't seem to stop myself from going above and beyond the package sold to the customer... For instance, my main seller is an AIO polish and i top that with Collonite 845.. But just today i found myself seeing scratches and saying, "i can get that out". And here i go, compounding and then having to do another step.. This all ends up turning my details into an all day ordeal, thus decreasing my profit!!! I want to give my customers the best, because I know most of them, but its definitely not a good approach to maximizing my profit!!! HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I could never detail cars profitably unless I did exclusive multi step jobs. It would drive me crazy having a car I detailed go out the door without looking show car ready.

I know how I like my own car looking and I couldn't do anything less to anybody else's car.

So I prefer being a happy hobbyist.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I could never detail cars profitably unless I did exclusive multi step jobs. It would drive me crazy having a car I detailed go out the door without looking show car ready.

I know how I like my own car looking and I couldn't do anything less to anybody else's car.

So I prefer being a happy hobbyist.
    I had the same issue coming out the gate but I slowly came to realize that my customers don't understand the cars like you and I do and I found that to be an opportunity to upsell one steps and other things most folks simply don't know about that can blow their mind with the final product.

You have to understand the likes of production detailing to get away from that show car mentality to be able to make money and satisfy the customer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Detailed Josh View Post
    Mike how do you "word" to the potential customers the difference between production detailing and show car detailing? I understand the reasoning as noted in your first post to match to the customers demands so you're not doing a full paint correction on some daily driver that is going to go through a coin operated car wash next week. Yet all I can think was kinda from the customers view of "well what exactly am I getting if you have XYZ higher better package" almost like you're downgrading the production detail? Does that make sense?

A couple of quick comments because we have a hot offline project today...

First, because if you're on this forum then you either know or you need to learn that most people don't know the difference between a squirrel and swirls. Most people just want a clean car, that means, shiny paint, (not swirl-free paint), a clean interior, clear glass and black tires and trim.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

It's your job to educate them on your packages and part of that will always include explaining at least a LITTLE BIT about car paint. Mostly the fact that while modern clear coats are harder than traditional single stage paints and the practical difference is modern clear coats don't oxidize like single stage paints but instead they are prone to swirls and scratches.

Then if the car in question is a daily driver UNLESS the customer is going to change the way they've been taking care of the car the best package for them is Package A where you're going to wash, clay and use a one-step cleaner/wax. If the car is more important to them and they are willing to,

A: Let you wash it for them on a "Maintenance Program"
    B: Take ownership of the washing process
    C: Run the car through a touchless wash

Unless one of the above is going to happen then it's not really a good service to give their car a show car finish because it's just going to become filled with swirls again.

Make sense?

Second, if you have Renny's book on starting a detail business read my comments on page 125.

That's why I wrote my VIF the way I did. It helps you to educate the customer. It helps you to explain what REALITY is in the car detailing world. Keep in mind, any competitor that doesn't hang out on a forum like this and doesn't have a copy of my VIF isn't going to be able to educate your potential customer to the degree you can and after making your sales pitch to a potential customer and walking them through the VIF IF the customer goes anywhere else they are either going to be sorely let down by the sales pitch from your competition and come running back to you or they were never a good candidate for a lifetime customer for you in the first place.

Make sense?

This is what I explain on page 125 of Renny's book.

If you don't have a copy of my VIF then get a copy, study it and start using it. It has educational information for the customer on the last few pages and even a plug for my how-to book because my how-to book will show your customer how to wash and care for their car AFTER you've worked your magic.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Or if you're lucky, your customer will ask to be put on your "Maintenance Program" and their's a "Call for Action" for this in my VIF also.

The most successful detailers that I know that do this full time have a Maintenance Program that is full. That means most of their time is spent taking care of established customers and they bill them monthly. This way they have steady and reliable income at the beginning of each month to pay their bills and run their business.

If you don't have a copy of my book or Renny's book then get both of them and read them from cover to cover and you'll instantly know more than most of your competition.

Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book by Mike Phillips

Here's a shot of the paperback and the e-book on an Ipad...

Here's the link to get them both at a discount...

Detail Book Combo Package

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike for taking the time to make that long response I really appreciate it. I just placed my first big order here on AG, and sadly forgot to include your and Renny's book combo, but it is on my to buy list for my next order. That helped give me more insight for starting off, and I plan on following up educating myself with those books as you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question:
    When starting out...I mean brand new barely have equipment just doing basic washes...tire and wheels...windows...and interior...

Where do I do it? Obviously I need a shaded or garaged area to do a good job I'm not really sure where people start out at the bottom?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

Thank you Mike for taking the time to make that long response I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. Just like it's my nature to make things shiny, (like many of you), it's my nature to provide complete answers and trains of thought, not one-liners like you get on other detailing forums. The way a person writes also creates a posting history that reflects a person's character over time, be it good or bad. I always research and read other people's posting histories when I want to get a feel for their character.

I just placed my first big order here on AG, and sadly forgot to include your and Renny's book combo, but it is on my to buy list for my next order. That helped give me more insight for starting off, and I plan on following up educating myself with those books as you mentioned.
    I know Renny worked very hard on his book and I too worked very hard on my book, in my opinion, they are the best in class for their respective categories.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP View Post

Question:
    When starting out...I mean brand new barely have equipment just doing basic washes...tire and wheels...windows...and interior...

Where do I do it?

Obviously I need a shaded or garaged area to do a good job I'm not really sure where people start out at the bottom?

My philosophy and practice all my life has been to use what I have...

When I first started out I was mobile and I used my customer's garage. I even let them know I would need their garage to do the job right, that is in the shade and in an enclosed environment.

My first brick & mortar detail shop was an office with a large carport and I used what I had and it worked better than no carport at all, plus the rent was low.

So be creative and use what you have. A lot of guys get EZ-Up Canopies and haul them with them, that's a good starting option be sure to take 5-gallon buckets and bungee cords to keep the canopy from blowing in the wind. Use water at 8 pounds a gallon for your weight in the bucket and because a bungee cord will stretch your canopy will lift in the wind but not knock the buckets of water over.

You have to be creative and don't be scared to tell our customer that since your mobile you need to use their garage to do the job right.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I need an AOI cleaner wax. whats your favorite?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast