autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

What are some good one step cleaner/ wax for these types of jobs? and that would also be safe for most paints?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post
    Mike, what type of correction did you see with one stepping on this job? I always have a problem when doing details with giving too much correction or not enough. I'm sure I could get by with using Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the maroon bottle with a LCC Tangerine pad and none of the clients would notice the difference. But I always think there will be that one client who does, and make me wish I did a little bit more. What would be a safe % of correction for clients on one steps, do you think?
    I advertise my AIO (express detail) as "light paint correction." I don't promise it will remove swirl marks (but it will for light swirls).

Most people are just looking for the SHINE! They can't even see the swirl marks or it just doesn't bother them (or they just think that's how all car paint looks). Ether way, my plan is simple: under promise, over deliver. If the customer is actually asking about getting rid of swirls and scratches we talk about higher level packages with more intensive polishing included.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the correct pad/speed to use when using an AIO? Also how do you just lay it on like regular wax or work it in like a polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillycobra View Post
    What is the correct pad/speed to use when using an AIO? Also how do you just lay it on like regular wax or work it in like a polish?
    Higher speed + more aggressive pad gives more correction like a polish. Lower speed + less aggressive pad acts more like a normal wax.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

That would depend on what the paint needed as referenced in the post above about pad and speed.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post

Most people are just looking for the SHINE! They can't even see the swirl marks or it just doesn't bother them (or they just think that's how all car paint looks). Ether way, my plan is simple: under promise, over deliver. If the customer is actually asking about getting rid of swirls and scratches we talk about higher level packages with more intensive polishing included.

That's a good plan and approach... reminds me of this...

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

In most cases, just making the paint clean, shiny and brighter is exactly what a customer is looking for...

Mike Phillips

What pad and speed depends on a couple of things but in most cases if you're only going to do one-step, or one machine applied product to the paint step, then you want to use a soft polishing pad so your chances of finishing out nice are as best as possible.

As for speed, that depends on the tool and the condition of the paint.

Another HUGE factor when using a one-step to NEGLECTED paint is to use the product heavy or wet. By the words heavy or wet I mean use plenty and even lots of product. Certainly don't under-use product as you want a lot of LIQUID chemical cleaners on the surface going to work for you and also lubricating the surface as you buff.

The talk about applying a THIN coat of wax only applies to "finishing waxes" or "finishing sealants"

• What type of tool are you using?
    • What are you working on?

Good questions by the way...

Mike Phillips

Here's a very in-depth article anyone detailing cars for money should read especially if they are new to professional detailing...

Lots of confusing cleared up in this article...

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax
    Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Post Thanks / Like

Every so often I am back to reading this thread and the attached links. There's always a way to get better and be more efficient. Completely nailed it on machine cleaning the windows. saves time and it looks great .Let's face it, it's going to annoy the customer if they get in their nice shiny car and they end up looing through water spots. Great info.

Post Thanks / Like

This is excellent advise! One step is my top selling package, a big part of my customer base are daily driven vehicles. Every client is blown away with the results and is usually above their expectations, and all from just a onestep polish. A happy customer is money in the bank and keeps me in business!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast