autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

SoCal Roadshow Class - Pictures & Comments

SoCal Roadshow Class - Pictures & Comments

On Saturday, November 28th we held our first roadshow class at Mel Craig's detail shop in Huntington Beach, California. I'd like to thank Mel for opening the doors to his shop for this first roadshow class and all his generous hospitality.

I'd also like to thank everyone that attended especially on such short notice. I would like to apologize that we were unable to work on the Marty McFly 4x4 due to mechanical issues that prevented the car from getting to the shop. The good news is my rental car was contaminated and swirled out and for training purposes worked perfect.

Mel's shop is well lit and spacious...

First we went around the class to see what everyone's experience level is for detailing. Using a scale of 1 to 5 where 1 means bran new to car detailing and 5 means experienced professional, most everyone fell into the 3-5 range.

Topics included the proper techniques for claying paint...

After claying we went over machine correction and machine polishing. I shipped out my 2 RUPES Mark II BigFoot 15 and BigFoot 21 polishers for everyone to test out. First a demonstration on how to compound and polish using RUPES polishers.

After compounding and polishing the next topic was how to properly prepare paint for a coating. For this portion of the class we used Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish followed by Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

All my classes are hands-on classes including Roadshow classes. I know from experience that people learn from "doing" not sitting in a chair.

Before turning everyone loose on the rental car I demonstrate the engineering behind RUPES tools, backing plates and buffing pads. This is the "Air Test". What you do is hold the RUPES polisher on high speed in the air without a pad on the backing plate. When you do this you will feel vibration in the tool body. Then you place the appropriate RUPES pad on the RUPES polisher and repeat the same test and you'll see all the vibration is gone. This shows how the RUPES pads are specifically made for the RUPES tool and if you want to use any other pad you may experience vibration issues.

Here's Rigo Santana from Extreme Excellence Professional Detailers testing out the new RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21 with a RUPES blue coarse foam cutting pad and Pinnacle Advanced Compound.

Mike Phillips

Re: SoCal Roadshow Class - Pictures & Comments

Continued...

Here's Ryan aka RMD on our forum testing out the RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21 on the roof....

Here's Osvaldo Trasvina aka TCFatboy testing out the RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21 on the roof....

Here's Mel Craig sharing his tips and techniques for using the RUPES polishers...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

After compounding next up is machine polishing...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Next up... removing polishing oils to prep the paint for the coating...

Complete removal of the Surface Cleansing Polish is vital before applying any coating. We also went over tips and techniques for using microfiber towels.

Here's Ryan misting a little of the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating onto a clean, dry Lake Country Coating Applicator.

This is tricky... capturing the mist of coating as it's spraying through the air...

Applying the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating is easier than applying a traditional car wax.

Wait for about a minute and the softly wipe off any high spots...

Finished!
    The results are a glassy looking finish that's slippery to the touch.

Here's a collection of the tools, pads and products used for this class....

Mike Phillips

Continued...

This is forum member TCFatboy

He drover over 1000 miles from Baja, Mexico to attend this class. It was a real pleasure getting to know and work with you!

Chris West from Solution Finish also attended

Great to see you again Chris!

Darren Priest from Auto Fetish Detail

Hey Darren it was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife and talk about our passion for car detailing....

I think Mel has some group shots as do some of the others that attended. I'll try to get them added to this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer Marty's truck wasn't present, but still looks like it was a fun time! You going to do more of these Mike? If so, where?
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post

Bummer Marty's truck wasn't present, but still looks like it was a fun time!
    It was kind of a downer that we couldn't get the Marty McFly 4x4 to the shop but the good news is the truck made it home safe and sound an perhaps we'll have another chance in the future!

The cool thing about rental cars is you can do just about anything you want with them...

You going to do more of these Mike?

That is the plan for 2016. Bob and I discussed this new program just a few days before Thanksgiving so we haven't shared all the details yet but when we do you'll read about it first on this forum.

I know being a forum member has it's benefits so here's a good reason for lurkers to make the jump from lurking to joining.

Click this link to become a member of AGO!

If so, where?
    My vote is the next Roadshow Class should be in Hawaii but not sure it that will make the top 10 list for 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. All the best in attendance. So freaking awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Cant wait 2016 is gunna be a rockin year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It was kind of a downer that we couldn't get the Marty McFly 4x4 to the shop but the good news is the truck made it home safe and sound an perhaps we'll have another chance in the future!
    I see what you did there...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Philips@Autogeek View Post
    The cool thing about rental cars is you can do just about anything you want with them...

That is the plan for 2016. Bob and I discussed this new program just a few days before Thanksgiving so we haven't shared all the details yet but when we do you'll read about it first on this forum.

I know being a forum member has it's benefits so here's a good reason for lurkers to make the jump from lurking to joining.

Click this link to become a member of AGO!

My vote is the next Roadshow Class should be in Hawaii but not sure it that will make the top 10 list for 2016.

My vote is DFW(hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge)! You should've just stayed here instead of going out to Cali haha
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast