autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Roadshow Detailing Class in Allentown, Pennsylvania - October 12th & 13th

Roadshow Detailing Class in Allentown, Pennsylvania - October 12th & 13th

Roadshow Detailing Class in Allentown, Pennsylvania

Date: Saturday and Sunday, October 12th & 13th
    Time: 6:30am to 6:30pm

1855 Weaversville Road
    Suite 103
    Allentown, PA 18109

Bill Fetter, owner of Immaculate Paint Protection will be hosting our class at his shop in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Hands-on - No chairs
    Our classes are unique in the industry as they are 100% on your feet, hands-on training. There simply are no chairs. If you learn better by sitting in a chair and listening to someone talk then you'll need to find a different class.

How to sign-up?

> Click here to sign-up online <

Or

Call Andre and sign-up over the phone

1-800-869-3011 x244

Hope to see you there!

Mike Phillips

Re: Roadshow Detailing Class in Allentown, Pennsylvania - October 12th & 13th

***Placeholder***

Getting some pictures of Bill's shop.

Mike Phillips

More...

Autogeek's Roadshow - Saturday & Sunday Class Outline

Saturday - 6:30am to 6:30pm

Morning Session - Multiple-Step Paint Correction

1: Extreme Washing - This class session covers all the correct tools, products and techniques to thoroughly clean and prep a car for detailing when using a source of running water.

This includes,

• Foam Guns
    • 3-Bucket Wash Method
    • Wheel Woolie Wheel Brushes
    • Speedmaster Wheel Brushes
    • Brake-dust Removing Wheel Cleaners
    • Mechanical Decontamination using Nanoskin Mitts & Towels
    • Chemical Decontamination using Iron & Fallout Remover
    • Tools for machine scrubbing tires
    • Tools for air drying cars

Also covered in the morning washing session are the non-washing procedures to do and the correct order to do them in.

1. Wet Wash Engine Detailing
    2. Machine Glass Polishing
    3. Headlight Correction

2: Car Inspection & Prep
    This class session covers everything you need to do to a car BEFORE you start machine polishing. This includes inspecting using an Vehicle Inspection Form, Paint Thickness Gauge, Swirl Finder Lights, Baggie Test. Plus what to tape-off and how to correctly tape-off and cover-up trim, comments, tops, etc.

3: How, why and where to do a Test Spot
    One of the most important steps if not THE most important step everyone should be doing before detailing a car.

4: 2-step paint correction and polishing
    This class session covers all the professional techniques to correctly compound and polish paint to perfection. Multiple-step paint correction is called, show car detailing because you're breaking the paint polishing process down into isolated and dedicated steps to maximize the end-results for a true show car quality finish. This session includes tools from,

1. FLEX
    2. RUPES
    3. Griot's Garage
    4. Meguiar's
    5. Makita
    6. Porter Cable
    7. Cyclo

Pads - Products
    The morning session includes a wide range of pro-grade compounds, polishes and buffing pads for a very well-rounded experience. You will learn how to know when to use a compound versus a medium, fine or ultra fine cut polish.

Ceramic Coatings - Waxes - Sealants
    The morning session covers proper techniques for chemically stripping paint for the installation of ceramic coatings specifically. Techniques for applying and removing traditional carnauba waxes and synthetic sealants are also covered in the morning session.

5: Final Steps
    The morning session covers coatings and dressings for; glass, tires, rims and plastic trim.

>Lunch Break<
    Lunch and cold beverages are provided

Afternoon Session - One-Step Detailing
    One step detailing is also called production detailing. In this session you will learn which types of cars and other projects are best suited for an AIO type product, (All-in-One), also called a cleaner/wax. The focus on this class is how to restore a neglected car's finish to like-new condition in only one step. Also called Speed Detailing. This type of detailing is great for enthusiasts taking care of their own daily drivers or for professional detailers for their budget package and also things like dealership work.

1: Washing Techniques for Waterless Washes and Rinseless Washers
    The afternoon session covers how, where, when, why and what for using either a waterless or rinseless wash. Correct techniques for both types are covered and when to use one over the other. Also covered are the correct types of wash media and other tools needed to clean a car without running water safely.

2: Mechanical decontamination - Why and how to use detailing clay and clay substitutes
    Students learn the proper technique for using detailing clay as well as clay substitutes.

3: Taping-off and covering up to save time and marketing purposes
    Students will build on the foundation created in the morning session as well as learn the marketing side of taping-off and covering stain-sensitive surfaces.

4: One-step high quality detailing
    Where the morning session goes over how to use a multiple-step approach for show car results, the afternoon session covers how to correctly use All-in-One products to compound, polish and protect the paint in one-step. This type of detailing is perfect for entry level detailing packages as well as daily drivers, budget details, RV's, and large vehicles like trucks and vans where the owner or customer does not want or need a ceramic coating. There are dos and don't when it comes to this type of detailing, which you will learn in the class. Everyone should have the skill set and knowledge to correctly perform one-step detailing jobs whether you're an enthusiast or you detail for money.

Tools - Pads - Products
    I call this free-for-all. Students can choose and use any tool and pad combo they previously used in the morning session. This is your opportunity to spend more time with any tool that has attracted your interest and attention and you're thinking about investing in. You can even use multiple tools, it's your choice. The importance of abrasive technology is stressed in this class as well as how to under-promise and over-deliver exceptional results. You will learn how to get show car results in half the time.

Sunday

Morning session - Wetsanding an entire car from start to finish
    If you have ever wanted to know the art of wetsanding, here's your chance to learn from beginning to end, exactly what to do. This is a real-world class where you will work on real cars and this is the BEST way to learn the entire process from start to finish.

This class includes,

• How to prep a car for wetsanding
    • Hand sanding techniques
    • Machine sanding techniques
    • How to correctly use a rotary buffer to remove 100% of the sanding marks
    • How to finish out 100% hologram and swirl free using any orbital polisher (your choice which orbital polisher to use)
    • How to seal the paint using a ceramic coating, carnauba wax or synthetic sealant, even the cheater technique of using an AIO.

>Lunch Break<
    Lunch and cold beverages are provided

Afternoon Session - Interior Detailing
    You will learn the difference between a hot water extractor and a steam machine and when and how to use one over the other.

This includes,

End of day

Certificate Award Ceremony

Class wrap-up

Book signing

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Placeholder for cars for this class

Post Thanks / Like

How does this work? Do we bring our own car?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post

How does this work?

Do we bring our own car?

I need a certain amount of cars for each class depending upon how many people are in a specific class.

I send out 3 e-mails to each person signed-up for each class.

1. Important Information
    2. Names for Certificates
    3. Cars needed for class

In Cars needed for class e-mail here's what I send out,

Hi everyone,

In my classes, you work on cars. You don’t sit in a chair and listen to me talk or watch me work on a demo hood.

For this class we’re going to need a few cars to use all the tools and here’s what works best for a class,

1. Large CARS– NO Vans, Trucks or SUVs – Due to the height of the roof these create a potential for an accident to happen if someone falls of a platform or scaffolding.

2. Dark or black in color – Dark colors show before and after differences. Light colors don’t show before and after differences, thus there is no visual impact.

3. Paint has swirls, scratches, water spots and/or oxidation – Really need cars that actually need to be detailed. Also - NO cars with clearcoat failure – clearcoat failure cannot be fixed except by re-painting the car.

If you have a car and would like to volunteer it for a free detail during the class, please contact me via a reply to this e-mail or text my cell phone number below with a picture of the car.

Seems to work very well.

Thanks for asking....

Post Thanks / Like

I probably have the perfect car, however I will be getting professional help to detail it for a show labor day weekend - most likely it will be in too good of shape by the class date.

Would a 68 Camaro be considered big enough just for my own curiousity?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post

Would a 68 Camaro be considered big enough just for my own curiosity?
    That's a great size and I've used a lot of first generation Camaros in my classes.

Too small would be things like Mazda Miata, Fiat 500, Chevy Sonic, etc.

Mike Phillips

As of today, this class is 56 days away.

Before we ship out a full pallet of tools and supplies we need a few more people signed-up.

We hate to cancel a class but if there's not enough interest then we don't have any other options. These are the most hands-on classes available and the reviews from people that have attended ANY of our classes is always overwhelmingly positive.

In case you just found out about Autogeek or our classes, here's a few testimonies from people that have attended one of our roadshow classes.

The below reviews are from this recent class in Texas

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by RACLARK View Post
    Mike

I'd Had a Great Time and took in a Lot of info.

Meet a Lot Great People and made friends in the Process. Vast amount of Info was Shared, and a Great learning Experience.

Thank You so much for Your Time and to the Host Mike Liebing as well.

The Equipment Used was Great and Learn how To used Each One .

The Cars were of a vast varieties, and Learn how to make One, 100% Better then when we started , with Great People as a Team to make them look Great.

Thank You to the Team and to Both Mike's

Roger Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Huizar22190 View Post
    This class was awesome!

Always on my feet actually doing something productive. If you learn by doing I highly recommend this class.

A lot of information over 2 days was learned and the opportunity to try many different tools before deciding what I wanna buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bsbiochem View Post
    Mike,

Thank you for the amazing class! I am still sore from muscle groups I have not felt in years! Your approach to hands-on instruction is how I learn best and you are a great hands-on teacher.

I know you love "The Beast", but I thought it was too powerful for me.

You put together an excellent curriculum and a great team to learn with. Some of us walked in there with little experience and all of us walked away ready to detail our own cars.

In my opinion, this class should be a requirement for pro detailers so they know how to properly detail a car and speak with customers.

Thank you Praxis Detailing for hosting and providing some amazing & expensive cars for us to detail.

Regards,
    David Gutierrez
    Research and Development Lab Manager
    303® Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis IN View Post
    Mike;

Thanks for making the trip to Auburn IN and taking time out from your life to enrich others; especially on the weekend.

You covered a lot of topics, products, machines and how to be successful while running a detailing business. Real world challenges and results.

We worked on barn finds to $400,000 collector cars in this class, not many people get that opportunity.

Hope to be on the tour next year again!

Thanks

Mike Liebing

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetailing77 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thank you, for sharing so much knowledge. Your classes were as fun as they were educational.

Everyone loves the hands on approach vs sitting in classroom seats!

This detailing course offered a multitude of products and tools to physically test out, as well as the proper techniques in using them. All instructed by Mike Phillips!

The wet sanding tutorial and experience was my favorite. I also really enjoyed the Ceramic Coating.

I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn techniques, tips, products, and tools to keep their vehicles looking great.

Thank You Again!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Exertion View Post
    I just got back home from the Auburn, IN auto detailing class.

What a class and what I learned will make my job easier in my detailing business. The class is hands on and Mike is hands on the entire class.

We worked on six cars the first day from washing to finish seal. I was exhausted but it was so worth it.

We got to experience different buffers, pads, towels products and techniques.

The second day we continued detailing and got more experience on show car detailing along with engine and interior cleaning.

Incredible class and worth every penny. I can’t wait to attend the boat detailing class In February.

Thanks Mike for everything.

-Joshua L.M Fitzgerald
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgshirey View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the Auburn/Praxis class. I learned a lot of new information and reviewed information from your videos. The class was awesome.

As an educator, this class was 100% engagement 100% of the time! I really liked using a variety of machines, equipment and tons and tons of products.

I wish I had taken this class 10 years earlier. I probably would have purchased some different equipment. I appreciated being coached by Mike on using the equipment. Furthermore, there was no pressure to buy a particular product and Mike shared that one must pick the products for the project and what we like to use.

Very valuable information.

Excellent class. I dreamed of attending the classes in Florida and this one was 30 minutes from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by EH View Post
    Hey Mike,

What a great class in Auburn! I've always dabbled in detailing my own cars, but never was 100% confident in what I was doing. Attending this past weekend 2 day class really boosted my confidence.

Using the different tools and products was great, but for me, having you looking over my shoulder and letting me know what I was doing right and what I was about to do wrong was worth the price of admission.

Sharing your years of experience and all your tips and tricks was priceless. I'm sure I'll attend another class in a couple years just to stay up on products and new techniques and tools.

I know it's a lot of work for you to put these classes on outside of the Auto Geek shop, so thank you for taking the time and effort to do it.

Until next time,

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrobbie66 View Post
    Mike:

Thank you for the GREAT class!

I was a little nervous going into this, thinking I would be a little behind everyone else, but you structured the class in a way that targeted everyone -- no matter what the skill.

There was a lot of information to pack into 2 days, but you did it, and didn't let any of us slack! You did a great job of explaining all of the tools and products used, as well as all the proper steps and I now have the confidence to do my own car soon!

Highly recommend for any level!

Thank you!

Jennifer Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by MV2020 View Post
    I was a hobby detailer looking to learn the secrets of the industry and to remove the anxiety of ruining paint.

After attending the Auburn IN class I now have the confidence to work on any car. Mike gave us an assortment of tools and products to use hands on in the class. Mike gave the class 110% effort and he shared knowledge that is invaluable.

-Michael Velazquez
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Singh View Post
    I attended Roadshow Detailing class In Auburn Indiana.

It was amazing experience i never thought i will get hands on experience on all tools and so much we all did in two days though it was little tiresome. But at the end of day it made me more satisfied and accomplished.

Roadshow class cleared my doubts about detailing.

Mike is a nice trainer he pays attention on all students and handles every situation with patience.

The below reviews are from this recent class in Texas

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post

What a great class. We got to work with a wide range of buffers, pads and product lines. I can't think of any way to learn about the detaining process better than actual "Hands On".

Although I am just a hobbyist, this was something I always wanted to learn. There are just way too many "experts" online to make informed choices.

This class presented bias free product presentations and Mike's expert experience and advice is priceless.

Thanks Mike for an outstanding experience (and a dent in my budget for a new buffer and products to use on my cars!)

- Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by AGOLDEN274 View Post
    I spent two days in a very hot shop in Austin Texas with Mike Phillips of AutoGeek.

I've been through several of Mike's classes when he was with Meguiars and each one was a learning experience but not like the two days in Austin. I got lots of hands-on with machines from at least 5 different manufacturers and we worked with at least 12 different manufacturers products.

Most impressive to me was detailing the Corvette from my San Antonio club. This is a raffle car for our 2020 car show and it was a mess. A 2011 Corvette that hadn't been driven in years. The engine compartment was covered in dirt, the paint was infected with swirls and scratches and the interior as disgusting. The class put a lot of time on this car and the result was impressive.

The engine looks like it just came off the showroom floor, there are no scratches and the tan interior looks new. This was easily a 10 man-hour job and it turned out beautiful.

I turned the car over to our club president who extolled the virtues of the detailing class.

I picked up three jobs out of that meeting, one with a multiple car assignment. Mike gave me new tips and introduced me to more products, giving me more confidence in my detailing skills.

It was a great two days and well worth the the cost.

Thanks Mike and AutoGeek.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Leander, Texas

I went to the Austin Roadshow last weekend and it was excellent! I really enjoyed learning new techniques from Mike and getting to practice them right away. It was also extremely beneficial to have a huge selection of products right there to try out so I could see firsthand which ones can benefit me the most.

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and it will give me a huge boost in continuing to grow my business and in making me a better detailer!

Pros:

Getting to try out a huge variety of tools and products I'm interested in firsthand. Meeting other detailers and working alongside them to learn new techniques and sharing successes and failures in the detailing business.

Cons:

Very tiring to learn so much in such a short period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Thanks Mike for those 4-chairs, a couple of times I did need to sit a minute and eat my pizza.

For anyone in the USA wanting to take a 'deep dive' into auto detailing these AG Roadshow classes are worth your time and money. Find one that best fits your needs and come ready to be immersed in the process. Mike's approach is learn by doing and sharing. Everyone will get time to listen to his years of being a true 'Auto Geek' knowing the industry, products, and the people. But when he says grab your tools and products it's going to be hands-on for many cars over the next few days. It's a team effort, so you can learn something from other students in the class. This class had detailers and hobbyist attending, but each found something new to experience and try over those two days.

I was a last minute student for the class, having to juggle my other part-time job schedule and decision to pay-up and make the drive from Houston. This was not my first nor second rodeo but it was the hottest time, yet will next time pick another class a bit cooler! That is the best part of attending the 3-day class at Autogeek HQ in Stuart, FL., Mike has A/C and even more supplies!

Mike, the experience you and AG provide to the students cannot be understood by most people. With FB and other social media, I see classes at Rupes facility, Vendor training classes, and even Renny Doyle's classes. For many the written word or visual presentations sink in and help them understand. I guess you could do the same but I would never feel like I received my money and time's value sitting, I like doing. Thanks for your sharing and always preaching test spots and how thick is clear coat (NOT!)!

To Joe & Sandra, Todd, Brian, Joel, Johnathan, Roberto and Jose, I hope to see you do well with all the knowledge and skills I saw. To the older students like myself, Rick, Andrew, Ro, and Randy it was fun but next time I'll bring a bigger fan. Perhaps attending the Boat class next winter will ensure cooler temps. But as much as I was impressed with Joel's classic Suburban, a boat is too much work for one detailer!

Looking forward to another Vendor sponsored Roadshow class in 2020.

The above is just from two recent classes.

In the below three links, you can find threads for our classes dating back 10 years. Surf around and you will find HUNDREDS of reviews that just like all of the above.

Not only will you find hundreds of positive reviews you will also see thousands of pictures showing people on their feet learning by working on cars. Lots of cars and also lots of boats.

Also - our classes cater to everyone from enthusiast car owners to new detailers to seasoned pro detailers. You'll see people describe themselves in the reviews.

Autogeek Roadshow Detailing Classes

Pictures from Autogeek's 3 Day Detailing Classes

Boat Detailing Classes Dates and Info

Mike Phillips

:update:

Last day to sign-up for the Pennsylvanian Roadshow Class!

Call Andre at 800-869-3011 x1244

Click here to sign-up for the Pennsylvania Roadshow Class

I'm packing for this class today!

LAST ROADSHOW CLASS FOR 2019!

Packing pictures for an Autogeek Roadshow Car Detailing Class

I had a member of the IDA stop by the Auburn, Indiana Roadshow Class while class was taking place. I broke away for a minute to talk to him. He looked around and then said,

Wow! I can't believe how much stuff you brought?

I hear the same thing from the host, their staff and the students as they arrive to the class.

I share lots of pictures and videos all the time of how many tools, pads, product and supplies you get to use at ANY of our classes. But as much as I share, from other comments I hear, there's still a LOT of people that simply have know idea. And I'm sure some people think all classes are the same and that if they attended some other class - well, there's no need to attend any more classes. But our classes are different. With our classes there are no chairs. There's cars and tools. You are on your feet learning from the start of the class to the end of the day. And there's no other classes that are documented as well as our classes showing and proving that our classes are different.

For the next newsletter I'm sending out, I took the below pictures to document just how much stuff you get to use when you attend our roadshow class. Fact is, you use even MORE tools and products when you attend our 3-day class here in Stuart, Florida. So if budget is not a concern, we hold our 3-day classes three times a year here in sunny Stuart, Florida AND it's always the same time every year,

1. January
    2. May
    3. September <-- this class is coming up fast

I'd say from simply talking to all the people that take our class each year, for the last 10 years, 60% of the people that take the class don't detail cars for money, they are simply passionate about their own cars. 40% are pro detailers or are starting a detailing business. I structure the format of the class to cater to everyone and you read this in the reviews that are posted by people that have taken the class.

If you received the 3rd Edition of my newsletter, (still to go out as I'm typing this), and clicked on the link to this thread. Below is what I packed and just shipped to Englewood, Colorado for the 2-day class taking place Saturday, August 24th and Sunday, August 25th. If after looking at the volume and variety of stuff you get to work with that you're excited to take this class, you can still sign-up for this class - just call Andre at 800-869-3011 x244 - or click this link.

This also shares pretty much exactly what I do and how I go about packing for a class. It all starts with a heavy-duty pallet and a stack of large, strong totes.

Here's 3 totes fitted to a pallet and the box holds a Hot Water Extractor. The heaviest items, the tools will get packed first.

Here's what has to be packed....

8mm free spinning random orbital polishers

They are the Griot's brand. There's a LOT of 8mm free spinning orbital polishers on the market, most people know the Porter Cable version. Out of all the different brands, the Griot's is the most powerful and has the best warranty. I start my class with these tools because they are the simplest tool to learn how to use and master. This is great for beginners but if you're a seasoned pro, I guarantee you - I'll show you how to maximize the performance of this tool. In my opinion, EVERY pro detailer NEEDS at least one of these because they are so versatile.

Pads and Products
    Currently I show this tools with Buff & Shine 6" Uro-Tech Foam Pads and the Pinnacle Compounds and Polishes. These pads work great on this tool and I trust the abrasive technology in the Pinnacle compounds and polishes to work on all paint systems and of course any black paint.

Griot's BOSS 21mm and 15mm Free Spinning Random Orbital Long Stroke Polishers

This is the Griot's version of the RUPES long stroke polishers and it's a VERY Well-Built too. PLUS Griot's created an entire paint polishing system perfectly matched that includes the tools, pads, compounds and polishes. As a professional courtesy to my friends at Griot's I teach their BOSS system AS a SYSTEM. This way you get the best experience possible. Just as though you attended a Griot's corporate class.

Griot's BOSS System - Polishers - Pads - Compounds - Polishes

Self-Sustained
    Our classes are completely self-sustained, this means when we arrive to a host's location we don't need or want to use any of their tools, supplies or towels. We pack it in and we pack it out.

Milspec ProLock Extension Cords
    I teach a lot of classes and use a LOT of tools. I need quality cords that won't unplug and can feed the correct power to the tools to prevent the motors in the tools from burning up. These are a 12/3 AWG locking extension cord, each conductor contains 65 strands of 30AWG 100% copper wire. The plug locks when a standard U-Ground 15A-125V plug is inserted and will hold up to 80 lbs of pull resistance.

Having great cords gives you the best experience no matter what tool you're using and learning.

Here's the locking female end of the cord. Simply slide the collar back and then insert the male end prongs on the cord of your tool and you're locked in and ready to buff.

Pinnacle Advanced Compound 16 oz $49.99
    Expensive but top shelf abrasive technology that always produces pro results no matter what the paint system. I ONLY use compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes that work perfectly on BLACK paint in my classes. If it can't create a perfect finish on black paint I don't use.

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish $49.99
    Same quality abrasive technology used in the compound. This polish will finish out perfectly on even the softest paints. See my other article about it here.

That's not all.... keep scrolling down the page....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast