autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

TRAINING BOATS for the 2021 MARCH Boat Detailing Class

TRAINING BOATS for the 2021 MARCH Boat Detailing Class

This class is SOLD OUT!

The 2021 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class!

Made by boat people for boat people!

ATTENTION

If you're reading this thread - chances are really good you're taking the boat detailing class here at Autogeek and you received an e-mail from me.

REMEMBER

1: Get a good night's sleep Friday night - we have a LOT of work to do on Saturday. I know you'll sleep good Saturday night.

2: Wear comfortable WORK CLOTHES - this is a hand-on class, no sitting. You are going to get DIRTY!

Here's your Training Boats!

Here's one of the confirmed training boats for the upcoming 2-day class in March.

This is a 27' Conch27 Center Console.

Info about Conch Boats

Mike Phillips

Re: TRAINING BOATS for the 2021 MARCH Boat Detailing Class

Just confirmed the second boat for the upcoming 2-day boat detailing class!

The folks attending this will learn gelcoat correction and your going to ceramic coat every square inch of both boats inside and outside.

26’ Pro-Line Super Sport with an 8’5” beam

Here's the Port side showing both oxidation and ghosting from the factory graphics that were removed sometime in the past.

Here's a close-up cropped out of the pictures above to better show the oxidation and former location of factory graphics.

Here's a shot from the Aft of the boat showing the same type of thing...

Gelcoat Correction and Ceramic Coating

In my opinion and experience, this boat is in decent shape. But do look at the corner of the hull, (lower left) and you can see the white gelcoat is oxidized. As a part of this class, 100% of all oxized gelcoat surfaces must be corrected and coated. So you have your work cut out for you and you will all have to work as a team.

Same goes for the inside of the boat. I suggest wearing soft cotton stretchy paints because in order to machine correct the inside of this hull you're going to have to sit on your butt to safely run a buffer.

Mold and Mildew

This boat doesn't have super bad mold and mildew but we'll go over how to remove it and then seal the vinyl surfaces.

Molded-in Non-Skid
    This Pro-Line has a LOT of molded-in non-skid surfaces that you will have to clean and then seal.

More mold and mildew...

Boat Detailing is Physically Demanding

One of the areas that requires a LOT of muscle is detailing the underneath of the hardtop. Think about it - you're going to have to reach and work over your head. Not fun but a part of a proper boat detail. Look at the mold and mildew on the underside and look at all the metal that needs to be polished and protected.

The center console is always challenging. This is where a RUPES Nano on Rotary Mode comes in handy.

Click here for more information about the 26' Pro-Line Super Sport

Are you ready to work hard?

Yeah buddy!

These are the most hands-on boat detailing class on planet Earth! Documented.

Post Thanks / Like

Saweet! See you in a few days!
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cant Wait!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

Saweet! See you in a few days!
    Looking forward to catching up with you Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by undrpressure23 View Post

Cant Wait!!!

I'll remember you said this. (can't wait).

About 1/2 hour into either machine sanding or using a rotary with a wool pad and the fun aspect starts to dissipate.

6. Likes undrpressure23 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My arms may be numb, but I promise there will be a face of determination and a smile under that

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by undrpressure23 View Post

My arms may be numb, but I promise there will be a face of determination and a smile under that
    Ha ha...

I make it sound worse than it is, but this way everyone's prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question while I am remembering it -

Do you cover any gel coat repair processes in the class? I have had a customer call and ask about that.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Do you cover any gel coat repair processes in the class?

I have had a customer call and ask about that.

I'm sorry to say but "no".

That type of technology would have to be a class of it's own. It's really a "dedicated topic".

Because you've attended my 3-day class, you know how intense my classes are. There's literally ZERO sitting time except for a few minutes for a quickie lunch.

You're going to find out that this boat detailing class is the exact same way. In order to include a class on gelcoat repair - I would have to add at least 2 more days. The first day of gelcoat repair would be the actual repair process and just as important the follow-up to the repair would be finishing-out the repair for customer pleasing results. We would have to wait for the polyester resin and catalyst hardener to fully cure, dry and harden before we could start sanding on it. In my mind's eye, I know the repair aspect, in a "classroom" environment, would take the first day. We would let the repair harden and dry overnight. This means a minimum of 2 days for gelcoat a proper gelcoat repair class.

Currently this is a 2-day class and by the time Sunday rolls-around... most of the class, (no you, you're in pretty good physical shape), but most of the class is going to be whipped. And then we start interior boat detailing and it's just as hard as outside boat detailing.

I could see myself teaching a gelcoat repair class in the future, I'm not sure how I would structure it though as it relates to the "days" to hold the class. When you start a formal structure class you have to take into consideration things like,

1: The day or days of the week the class is held.

2: Travel time for students to get to and return from the class location.

If a class starts on a Friday, the travel days are Wednesday and/or Thursday. This means people taking time-off their normal jobs. A two day class on the weekend means people making travel plans for the days before the class and the days after the class. Then their hotel coats, rental car coats, meals-on-the-road costs, the cost of the class.

It's a lot more complicated than most people would know.

There's a HUGE difference between a real structured class on any topic and some guys that have a Get-Together at some guy's home garage. I've done both types so all I'm saying is one type is a lot more intense logistically than the other.

Great question - thank you for asking.

Mike Phillips

Do you cover any gel coat repair processes in the class?

I have had a customer call and ask about that.

I'm sorry to say but "no".

That type of technology would have to be a class of it's own. It's really a "dedicated topic".

Because you've attended my 3-day class, you know how intense my classes are. There's literally ZERO sitting time except for a few minutes for a quickie lunch.

You're going to find out that this boat detailing class is the exact same way. In order to include a class on gelcoat repair - I would have to add at least 2 more days. The first day of gelcoat repair would be the actual repair process and just as important the follow-up to the repair would be finishing-out the repair for customer pleasing results. We would have to wait for the polyester resin and catalyst hardener to fully cure, dry and harden before we could start sanding on it. In my mind's eye, I know the repair aspect, in a "classroom" environment, would take the first day. We would let the repair harden and dry overnight. This means a minimum of 2 days for gelcoat a proper gelcoat repair class.

Currently this is a 2-day class and by the time Sunday rolls-around... most of the class, (no you, you're in pretty good physical shape), but most of the class is going to be whipped. And then we start interior boat detailing and it's just as hard as outside boat detailing.

I could see myself teaching a gelcoat repair class in the future, I'm not sure how I would structure it though as it relates to the "days" to hold the class. When you start a formal structure class you have to take into consideration things like,

1: The day or days of the week the class is held.

2: Travel time for students to get to and return from the class location.

If a class starts on a Friday, the travel days are Wednesday and/or Thursday. This means people taking time-off their normal jobs. A two day class on the weekend means people making travel plans for the days before the class and the days after the class. Then their hotel coats, rental car coats, meals-on-the-road costs, the cost of the class.

It's a lot more complicated than most people would know.

There's a HUGE difference between a real structured class on any topic and some guys that have a Get-Together at some guy's home garage. I've done both types so all I'm saying is one type is a lot more intense logistically than the other.

Great question - thank you for asking.

12. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast