autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

Wow. That's amazing work, Mike.
    Can't wait to hear more about the process.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

That's gonna come out really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys use the meguiar's oxidation scrub by chance? or strait to sanding and compound/polish?

Junior Member attention2detaillhc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yes.

Tools will include,

FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher- Always the first rotary buffers to be grabbed by the students - For compounding

Makita Rotary Buffer - For compounding

DeWALT Rotary Buffer - For compounding

FLEX 3401 - For machine sanding

RUPES BigFoot 21, 15 and Duetto - for the finish polishing step

Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher - For machine sanding

Griot's Garage BOSS 21 and 15 - For the finish polishing step

For compounding and polishing we'll use Marine 31 Captain's One-Step Compound and Polish. Just read my boat detailing book and you'll see WHY we use this to both compound and polish the gel-coat to perfection.

For sealing the boat I have not decided yet. I want to showcase a coating since coatings will outlast waxes and sealants.

Then of course tons of other products for all the other areas of the boat we'll address.

Hi Mike,
    What Coating did you end up using at the class? How did it work out. Our conditions in Havasu are extreme on top of it the lake water is extremely hard here that is very tough on boats.
    Jon
    Jon - Lake Havasu City, Arizona - AKA In the middle of the desert!
    http://www.attention2detaillhc.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by attention2detaillhc View Post

Hi Mike,

What Coating did you end up using at the class?

How did it work out.

Our conditions in Havasu are extreme on top of it the lake water is extremely hard here that is very tough on boats.

Jon

We used the Marine 31 Captains Coating

Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50

The coating applies easy and I noticed this new formula wipes off easier than the previous version. The key is technique and that comes from practice. After application you wait about 40 seconds and then wipe off the high spots.

I have not gotten to the boat class pictures here yet,

Pictures: 2017 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console - Wetsand, Cut & Buff

But I will get to them as that's one of the ways we market the class. In other words, pictures showing what you get to do in the class helps others decide to take the class.

So stay tuned and "subscribe" to the above thread so you'll get an e-mail notification when I add the pictures.

How To Subscribe to a Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,
    Are you going to be posting pictures from last year's boat detailing class? It looks like the 2017 pictures thread is closed, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeMD View Post

Hey Mike,
    Are you going to be posting pictures from last year's boat detailing class? It looks like the 2017 pictures thread is closed, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Thanks,
    Mike

I've been meaning to post the pictures since the day after the class.

I'd guess most people don't know how much work and how much time goes into created a picture thread. It's incredibly time consuming. And it's never because I don't want to do it - it's because I can carve out the time.

At the time of the class last year we were filming out TV show Competition Ready, so I was incredibly busy. Then came my 3- day car class, the Detail Fest, then another class and another class and so on and so on... plus all the new product reviews I write, I have a never ending job.

So just to let you know - of course I want to post them but it takes a LOT of time to simply go through the pictures let along do thing to them before uploading, like,

1. Look at EACH picture taken and pick out the best, pick out what's in focus and tells a story
    2. Renaming each file
    3. Cropping out the fluff
    4. Resizing to 800 pixels wide
    5. Uploading
    6. Inserting
    7. Adding words

I'll try to get to them ASAP because we use the pictures from our classes to market future classes and the next boat class is about 5 week away.

Just to note the next boat class is also almost sold out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've been meaning to post the pictures since the day after the class.

I'd guess most people don't know how much work and how much time goes into created a picture thread. It's incredibly time consuming. And it's never because I don't want to do it - it's because I can carve out the time.

At the time of the class last year we were filming out TV show Competition Ready, so I was incredibly busy. Then came my 3- day car class, the Detail Fest, then another class and another class and so on and so on... plus all the new product reviews I write, I have a never ending job.

So just to let you know - of course I want to post them but it takes a LOT of time to simply go through the pictures let along do thing to them before uploading, like,

1. Look at EACH picture taken and pick out the best, pick out what's in focus and tells a story
    2. Renaming each file
    5. Uploading
    6. Inserting
    7. Adding words

I'll try to get to them ASAP because we use the pictures from our classes to market future classes and the next boat class is about 5 week away.

Just to note the next boat class is also almost sold out.

If I haven't said it, Thanks! for all the work you and your team put into these posts. It's the reason I'm here & buying from AG.

I'll start a new thread soon but I bought a new boat & I'm learning about the different options for compounding, polishing, waxing/sealing. I am very interested to learn about the Captain's Boat Coating you were planning to use on the 2017 boat vs the Wax & Seal from the year before.

Again, thanks. U da man!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I stopped in to visit Mike, I wanted to see first hand how he creates and inserts pictures into a post.

I've created post and inserted pictures in the forum before but it was taking me a long time and I wanted to see if there was an easier, more efficient way.

So Mike graciously invited me into his office and showed how he does it. He was working on an article that will soon post. I can't say anything about it but it will be very good and informative with a lot of good pictures.

I was using Photobucket before since it was easier and a little quicker inserting pictures than using the forum's method, but Photobucket made some changes last year and all of the pictures I posted in some of my posts are now gone, so I went back to the forum's method so that the pictures will be there down the road.

The process is very time consuming as Mike mentioned in his post above:

2. Renaming each file
    5. Uploading
    6. Inserting
    7. Adding words

Also, Mike is a busy man! While we were working on his post, he was answering phone calls, emails and private messages.

I really like Mike's posts, they are very informative, detailed and very well worded and created and I got to witness first hand the work and time that goes into creating these posts.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Mike Phillips

If I haven't said it, Thanks! for all the work you and your team put into these posts. It's the reason I'm here & buying from AG.
    Thank you.

I always feel bad when I can't get all the pictures up from a project. It's my heart's desire, it's just a time thing...

I'll start a new thread soon but I bought a new boat & I'm learning about the different options for compounding, polishing, waxing/sealing. I am very interested to learn about the Captain's Boat Coating you were planning to use on the 2017 boat vs the Wax & Seal from the year before.

Again, thanks. U da man!
    We did use the Captain's UV50 Boat Coating in that class and like a lot of coatings it applied easy. But the wipe-off was a tick on the sticky side.

I'm working on which coating we will be showcasing at the February 2018 class.

As for the rest of the process I show - all I can say is we create show car finishes on boats and I show you step-by-step how to do it in our annual class. I also cover this in my boat detailing book.

Here's the results from my Boat Test Spot

Before

After - This is machine sanded, rotary buffer compounded, Flex 3401 polished, RUPES BigFoot 21 Polished and Ceramic Coated

The trick is to work smarter instead of harder. I know that's a worn-out cliché but it's also true and that's "one" of the reasons I show machine sanding for the severely neglected boats we use in the class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast