autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirl remover

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirl remover

Hello! I’m old, and It’s been awhile since I’ve worked on detailing my cars. It is coming up on winter prep (my version of the polish and protect for the winter months), and I’m looking for what is the latest and greatest to remove mild swirls and such. I have a pretty vast assortment of lake country pads, and I still use collinite 845 for my final finish, and intend to stay with it. In the past, and what’s on my shelf now but not in good shape, is megs #9, 105 and 205, and a older bottle of #7 glaze. None of these are any good anymore, because of storage and age. What is a good recommendation for my needs? The vehicles are 2021 Hyundai models, I use a DA, and don’t skimp of MF towels. It just seems the market is almost overwhelming with products now. The swirls are just the “normal” type that come from chamois and automatic car washes. Nothing really bad, but noticeable in sunlight. Both cars a a variation of 50 shades of gray. Thanx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl remover

You may want to look at the Favorite Medium Cut Polish thread as there are many one-step recommendations there. But I like Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream and Polishing Cream as they work really well, are easy to use, inexpensive, and are sometimes available locally. But if you’re looking for a single step polish, I would try one of the one-steps recommended in the following thread such as 3D Speed or Blackfire One Step. But you really can’t go wrong with any of the recommendations in the following thread. It really comes down to experience and preference as opposed to which product is better.

Favorite Medium Cut Polish!

3. Thanks propflux01 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You cant go wrong with Sonax perfect finish or Griots FCC

3D Products are very popular around here- The Megs 105 & 205 are all widely available @ your local parts store, the others you will probably have to order online- AutoZone has the Megs products and some Griots. The bad part on the Megs @ AZ is they only have larger sizes, but if you go online @ AMAZON, they offer them in 8 OZ bottles and with prime you'd get them in a couple days
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

5. Thanks propflux01 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang's abrasive technology is very user friendly, I'll try some others eventually, but when I find a product I like and dial in on how to use it, I am usually pretty loyal

I use their Uber Compound as a hard hitter for spot correction, it comes out of the gates pretty hard, but the abrasives are created to diminish and break up, when I work this into a surface, in short time, it clears up, and for a first step, leaves a pretty nice polished surface

my go to for any kind of swirling, even some pretty heavy stuff is their Total Swirl Remover which is also a step 2 if use their Uber, using a medium cutting pad, it gets work done

whether I did two steps or one step prior, i always finish with their Finishing Glaze, which isn't an actual glaze, it a mild abrasive, but again with diminishing abrasives, it take a surface that's darn near perfect, and this jewels it up leaves you with a dripping polished shine (wow...i sound like a pitch man)

anyhow, one man's opinion among many here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    Wolfgang's abrasive technology is very user friendly,
    MP was big on WG total swirl remover-- I I dont believe it had anything to do with being loyal to that brand ( I/E : Pinnacle, Blackfire , WG )
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

8. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Likes Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    MP was big on WG total swirl remover-- I I dont believe it had anything to do with being loyal to that brand ( I/E : Pinnacle, Blackfire , WG )
    he's the reason I'm using it, indirectly

a fellow forum member on another site had some issues with a cloudy result when trying to polish his Vivid Black Harley Davidson....Mike turned him onto Wolfgang and the results were fantastic, he shared the story, and I decided if it worked for him, i'd try it....too many great detailers use other stuff for me to think Wolfgang is the only dance partner out there though...not looking to step on any toes

Post Thanks / Like

I actually used M105 and M205 at work today. We had a black Porsche SUV. It was riddled with damage from tunnel car wash brushes. My 3D ONE struggled. 3D ACA500 did a little better, bit not quite enough. I got a new Lake Country HDO microfiber cutting pad and some M105 and the real cutting began. It took two sets, but I finally got most of the scratches out. Only the deepest lacerations remained. I followed with M205 on a black HDO. The hood didn't like the black HDO. It hazed, and left da "trails" behind. It actually liked the orange HDO.

M105 is infamous for dusting, but I didn't get the dust I remember getting in the past - granted I'm in a climate controlled shop, where before I was in my driveway. Bit I was actually able to use it to it's fullest potential.

I'm in a strange spot right now, because I loved how fast that M105 cut. I also experimented with M110, but that stuff is so nice, I'd like to save it for after the M105 is used up.

I may be shifting back to Meguiar's here soon.

I had Sonax Ultimate Cut, Cut and Finish, and NP 03-06. I may try these again too. Very high performance abrasives.

One of the more utilitarian ranges that always felt "high end" was Menzerna. The 400 compound, 2500 medium polish, and 3500 finishing polish was something that always seemed to work no matter the paint. I always got a great finish with the menzerna polishes. I didn't like the strong odor of the 400, so I bought some of their "Green Line" 400 and it's got all the cut without the stench.

So I'm probably no real help.

If you liked the Meguiar's try the M110/M210 combo. I'd also pick up some M205 because it can actually do some cutting while leaving a gorgeous finish - most times. M205 was infamous for leaving a haze on some paints that required some fancy procedure to get it to finish out. M210 doesn't seem to have that issue.

I also really liked the Jescar range. Correction Compound, Medium Polish, Micro Polish. They've added two more, but I haven't used them yet.

11. Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever tried any BOSS creams, Dan?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes dgage, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using both the 105 & 205 a little lately & to be honest, I cant see what all the complaining is about dust, VERY minimal for me-- yes there is some but nothing to complain about. Merlin seems to like that combo-- seems like most of his corrections that he posts are done with that combo

15. Likes dgage, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Have you ever tried any BOSS creams, Dan?
    I know. I like those as well. And DLC95 covered most other brands out there in is his post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast