autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction on Toyota Corrola - Overwhelmed with Choices

Hello!

I have a 2022 Toyota Corolla (black sand pearl) and am looking to do a paint correction to repair scratches after washing it at work with the brush used to clean dirty pickup trucks (yeah, I know...). Here are some photos to give an idea of what I am working with: Imgur: The magic of the Internet.

I have finalized the following (please provide feedback if something glaringly a bad decision) but am having difficulties choosing a polishing compound:

- Griot's Garage G9 with 5" backing plate
    - Lake Country SDO Orange pad
    - Lake Country SDO Black pad (If I decide on a non-spray wax/sealant)
    - Riccardo light blue detailing clay bar
    - Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (Clay lubricant)
    - CarPro Eraser

For the compound, I have been drawn toward Sonax Perfect Finish but have also read that Griot's Boss lineup would be better. 3D One is another one I have consider. Overall, I am looking for something that is most likely to give me good results with this project and will not hinder my progress as I hope to experiment with stand-alone scratch repair.

Also, any suggestions on a sealant/wax would be appreciated. I am not keen on locking myself into ceramic coating but also want it to last longer than a month.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction on Toyota Corrola - Overwhelmed with Choices

Variety of compounds/polishes. Variety of pads. Test on a side panel, working from least aggressive to most aggressive. Pick the least aggressive combo that works.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you looking to just do a one step or 2 step correction?

And how many pads do you have? I would suggest 6 as a baseline for each step.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota paint tends to be very soft and easy to correct, but you might have some deeper defects from using the brush.

I'm really liking the Griots BOSS line of polishes right now. I'd recommend getting at least the Correcting Cream and the Perfecting Cream and I'd also add some of the blue SDO pads to your collection.

Having a couple different levels of pads and liquids allows you to try different combinations as you do test spots. This allows you to dial in a combination that works for your paint conditions, but also gives you flexibility to deal with trouble spots too.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes jcdata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    Variety of compounds/polishes. Variety of pads. Test on a side panel, working from least aggressive to most aggressive. Pick the least aggressive combo that works.
    Thanks for your response. It doesn't really answer the question, though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    So are you looking to just do a one step or 2 step correction?

And how many pads do you have? I would suggest 6 as a baseline for each step.

I think I am going to try and get a way with a one step correction and use a 2-step correction on spots where needed. I have three. The plan was for me to break it up in several chunks over several weekends. Would three be sufficient in this case?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Toyota paint tends to be very soft and easy to correct, but you might have some deeper defects from using the brush.

I'm really liking the Griots BOSS line of polishes right now. I'd recommend getting at least the Correcting Cream and the Perfecting Cream and I'd also add some of the blue SDO pads to your collection.

Having a couple different levels of pads and liquids allows you to try different combinations as you do test spots. This allows you to dial in a combination that works for your paint conditions, but also gives you flexibility to deal with trouble spots too.
    Thanks for your detailed response! Maybe I should give the BOSS line more consideration. Would the following be the correct "progression" when trying to correct? Perfecting Cream/Orange -> Perfecting Cream/Blue -> Correcting Cream/Orange -> Correcting Cream/Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 3 pads for say 1/4-1/3 of the vehicle should work fine. Just wash them out and let them fully dry before your next session. If you're doing a 2 step have 3 of each color pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992 View Post
    I think I am going to try and get a way with a one step correction and use a 2-step correction on spots where needed. I have three. The plan was for me to break it up in several chunks over several weekends. Would three be sufficient in this case?
    Yeah that will be fine if your going to break it up.

Paul a has good suggestions too.

Ive never tried griots abrasives, nor those megs 205/105.
    I have switched my abrasives over to everything 3D and have not looked back. I still keep menzerna on the shelf but have not needed to go back to it.

If i were in your shoes having the bit more knowledge that i gained since starting into this i would return the megs pad/abrasives kit for a different combo. Maybe some white lake country foam polishing pads and 3d abrasives. And since your running a free spinning tool i would have a microfiber pad on hand for if ya need some heavy cut.

Or just run what ya got and enjoy the learning experience!

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992 View Post
    Thanks for your detailed response! Maybe I should give the BOSS line more consideration. Would the following be the correct "progression" when trying to correct? Perfecting Cream/Orange -> Perfecting Cream/Blue -> Correcting Cream/Orange -> Correcting Cream/Blue.
    The BOSS line has served me very well lately and it's fairly economical too.

Your progression would work, but I tend to alternate the liquids first and then alternate the pads, e.g. Perfecting/orange, Correcting/orange, perfecting/blue, correcting/blue. This is based on using a combination of compound/medium polishing pad as a one step on hard German paint. Your approach isn't wrong.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast