autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber pads - your experience?

I usually use Uro-Fiber pads.

I really liked the old Blue and yellow microfiber pads - the first gen from Rupes.

The hardest cutting I've ever used was the Lake Country, which is what I'm switching to after my current stock is depleted.

I am also keeping the blue and yellow Rupes wool pads in the arsenal. They really work great with DA Coarse and DA Fine - as well as anything else I've used them with. Very durable, with a very high quality fit, finish, and feel.

DA Coarse with the blue wool is one of my heaviest cutting combos.

2. Likes chilly, Joel1979 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How perfect do you really have to get white paint?
    And once you get it perfect, if the paint really is hard, why are you instilling swirls in it again to the point where you need to aggressively compound every so often?

Do what you enjoy, but if it was me I’d look into wash technique in order to prevent instilling the swirls.

4. Likes dlc95, chilly, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Appreciate the info guys. Have to say, you've got me leaning towards the wool now! I guess my question is what exactly is gained or lost going from foam to wool? Again, no specific issues with what I've used in the past, but like most of us, I'm always looking for an easier way to get better results.

Thinking I might try out both the Rupes blue and yellow wool pads? Or is the blue a little too much for what I am going for? Again, not really sure exactly where these two fit in relative to what I am used to. Would I be correct in assuming Rupes yellow wool = LC orange foam, Rupes blue wool = LC yellow foam?
    Generally, fiber pads cut harder than foam. At the shop, we normally use the orange for an aggressive polishing process when we want a good finish.

Rupes Yellow wool is a little different. Very often it can remove more defects and usually finish out as good as the orange foam.

In my experience, the wool and foams listed don't necessarily correlate.

If you go with the Rupes wool. Maybe consider their foams for finishing. The only pad of theirs I don't have yet are the new blue foams.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How perfect do you really have to get white paint?
    And once you get it perfect, if the paint really is hard, why are you instilling swirls in it again to the point where you need to aggressively compound every so often?

Do what you enjoy, but if it was me I’d look into wash technique in order to prevent instilling the swirls.
    Yep, paint is finite.

8. Likes Eldorado2k, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair question regarding my wash technique! The car belongs to a family member. I last polished it roughly 3 years ago, and from what I hear, it needs a bit of work again. So my original intent behind creating this post was to see if there was a pad that could get me better results in one step, using the polishes I have. I'm not going for perfection, but I'd like a nice turnaround.

I should add that I already have white, black, and a few orange pads as well as a few milder polishes (Essence, Speed, Ultimate Polish). Its my yellow pads which I need replacements for and the orange pads that I need more of. I'm just trying to decide if I should buy more yellow and orange pads, or if wool/microfiber would fill that gap in my arsenal better.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Appreciate the info guys. Have to say, you've got me leaning towards the wool now! I guess my question is what exactly is gained or lost going from foam to wool? Again, no specific issues with what I've used in the past, but like most of us, I'm always looking for an easier way to get better results.

Thinking I might try out both the Rupes blue and yellow wool pads? Or is the blue a little too much for what I am going for? Again, not really sure exactly where these two fit in relative to what I am used to. Would I be correct in assuming Rupes yellow wool = LC orange foam, Rupes blue wool = LC yellow foam?
    You gain cut and lower heat compared to foam and microfiber.

You won’t need the blue wool as the yellow wool is very versatile with either a compound or polish.

I always have about 6 pads on hand. Can never have enough as I swap them out every panel or two.

12. Likes Farmallluvr, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Rupes Med Wool pads..A lot!....,,they finish out really well IMHO and I have even used them on the rotary from time to time.
    I do like the Rupes MF coarse cut as well,,,mostly for cutting quickly and doing the heavy work with the DA,,I also use the Meguiars MF pads (can't remember #'s) ,,they work pretty good but the Rupes a better for sure
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

14. Likes The Guz, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t used the Rupes yellow wool, only the blue wool so I’ll have to pick up some of those. Thanks guys. Or should I say, thanks guys, something else to purchase dammit. . But regarding the wool vs microfiber cutting, the wool is way more aggressive and yet can still finish well. But with any of the fiber pads, they work REALLY well cleaned with compressed air and a pad brush. I like the Rupes pad brush best. So I’d recommend getting the Rupes yellow wool and then use a compound or polish to shift aggressiveness. And use compressed air as you can use fewer fiber pads by cleaning with air and the air also helps cool the pads down. And then possibly follow up with a polishing pad but on white that might not even be needed as I doubt you’d notice a difference.

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing about the Rupes Yellow Wool that may not have been mentioned is they are a sheer joy to use

They follow contours on swoopy body panels like no other correcting or polishing pad I have ever used

They feel like the softest application pads

They just flow...

18. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright alright! I get it! I'm already sold on the medium wool. You guys can stop now!

Hopefully there will be a sale for Black Friday....

20. Likes chilly, oneheadlite liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast