autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    My reasoning might not be the best, but I am one of those people that if you try to shove something down my throat and basically say “everything else is crap” than I immediately get a bad taste in my mouth.
    It’s happened with car manufacturers as well.

I just don’t see ANY brand having the answer to every need.
    Diversity!
    That's because no one brand does.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is slightly off this topic but I think it's a related question

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the percentages of Pros vs Hobbyists as it pertains to their habits in "experimenting"

By that I mean what percentage of pros stick with stuff they know works and makes money and how many are willing to constantly tinker with the hopes of finding something better, cheaper, faster, etc etc

The same goes for hobbyists; what percentage sticks with tried and true and how many chase the next great thing

Neither is right or wrong and no judgment here, strictly curiosity

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the percentages of Pros vs Hobbyists as it pertains to their habits in "experimenting"

By that I mean what percentage of pros stick with stuff they know works and makes money and how many are willing to constantly tinker with the hopes of finding something better, cheaper, faster, etc etc

The same goes for hobbyists; what percentage sticks with tried and true and how many chase the next great thing

I think this is an excellent question.

As a hobbyist, my "chasing" days are over. I haven't tried every single thing, but I read almost every post here, and I can draw conclusions on most things.

This isn't to say I will never try anything new, but (as far as LSP's/higher-dollar items) it had better be quite the breakthrough/game-changer. (The PFM towel comes to mind.....)

And as far as experimenting with the cheaper things, (spray waxes/cleaners/clays/synthetics/pads/QD's etc. ....) I have a ridiculous amount of all of these. So I really need to hear someone I truly respect recommend something along these lines and explain why I need to try it.

Just my two pennies........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes chilly, CleanIT, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is I have too many detailing products and yet I want to try more

And I have tried a lot of products from suggestions here.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

8. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    My reasoning might not be the best, but I am one of those people that if you try to shove something down my throat and basically say “everything else is crap” than I immediately get a bad taste in my mouth.
    It’s happened with car manufacturers as well.

I just don’t see ANY brand having the answer to every need.
    Diversity!
    That's right Monica and who said we don't know about diversityWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I think this is an excellent question.

As a hobbyist, my "chasing" days are over. I haven't tried every single thing, but I read almost every post here, and I can draw conclusions on most things.

This isn't to say I will never try anything new, but (as far as LSP's/higher-dollar items) it had better be quite the breakthrough/game-changer. (The PFM towel comes to mind.....)

And as far as experimenting with the cheaper things, (spray waxes/cleaners/clays/synthetics/pads/QD's etc. ....) I have a ridiculous amount of all of these. So I really need to hear someone I truly respect recommend something along these lines and explain why I need to try it.

Just my two pennies........
    I know exactly what you mean and I quit most of my chasing years ago

If I run out of something non critical and need more product I will certainly look at reviews and recommendations to see if there might be something better out there before I order

but...

Between cost of product, cost to get it here, then being disappointed for whatever reason I really need an overriding reason to stray from my old favorites

Here in Hawaii I am a 2 car show so if something sucks or is mediocre I either suffer through using the product up, which can take some time, or if it's really junk I just say @#$% it and chuck it

Tire dressings and stuff like that I will suffer and use it up but I won't compromise my paint with a substandard LSP or something along those lines

Rant off

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean and I quit most of my chasing years ago

If I run out of something non critical and need more product I will certainly look at reviews and recommendations to see if there might be something better out there before I order

but...

Between cost of product, cost to get it here, then being disappointed for whatever reason I really need an overriding reason to stray from my old favorites

Here in Hawaii I am a 2 car show so if something sucks or is mediocre I either suffer through using the product up, which can take some time, or if it's really junk I just say @#$% it and chuck it

Tire dressings and stuff like that I will suffer and use it up but I won't compromise my paint with a substandard LSP or something along those lines

Rant off
    Use up a tire dressing in the wheelwell if you don't like it or in and around the engine bayWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's tough just chucking a product. They all cost a bit to get.

I do like the trade idea we have here.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

16. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great question! Does make one wonder.

I consider myself a hobbyist for sure and have gotten past the point of constantly wanting to explore new products, at least not very often. I have FINALLY found plenty that work for me and work good and do not miss those frequent moments of disappointment that were all too common back in the day. I like knowing that what I am spending irreplaceable time doing is worth it in the end. Using products I am familiar with helps guarantee that. That's not to say I won't take recommendations or suggestions for new products...but I may not get anything new until what I have is used up, or maybe even discontinued. Versus back in the day, I would be ordering another shampoo/wax/APC/etc before the others I had before it were used up. Few years goes by....products start to separate or look funny. Get tossed. Money down the drain. I don't like throwing once-pricey products away, it hurts the soul and brings shame from the detailing gods.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

18. Likes CleanIT, PaulMys, chilly, dgage, NightDrive43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Great question! Does make one wonder.

I consider myself a hobbyist for sure and have gotten past the point of constantly wanting to explore new products, at least not very often. I have FINALLY found plenty that work for me and work good and do not miss those frequent moments of disappointment that were all too common back in the day. I like knowing that what I am spending irreplaceable time doing is worth it in the end. Using products I am familiar with helps guarantee that. That's not to say I won't take recommendations or suggestions for new products...but I may not get anything new until what I have is used up, or maybe even discontinued. Versus back in the day, I would be ordering another shampoo/wax/APC/etc before the others I had before it were used up. Few years goes by....products start to separate or look funny. Get tossed. Money down the drain. I don't like throwing once-pricey products away, it hurts the soul and brings shame from the detailing gods.
    Very well said, you nailed my angst perfectly

Detail Kitty mentioned trades as well and although I am not familiar with that dynamic as it pertains to this forum I can imagine

I do know that postal rates are stupidly high and will be higher shortly so thinking about sending something you already paid for, possibly paid shipping for, to someone else with more shipping, who in turn pays shipping to get it to you, etc etc etc might be fun, but unless it is a high dollar item the economics don't pencil out, sadly, because I can see it being a fun exercise

No disrespect to the idea intended

20. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast