autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot

Hello,

I'd be very grateful for any advice please - I'm a novice and wanted to polish out some minor scratches from my wife's car.

I used Uno Protect and a yellow wool pad and when I finished, it looked stunning! but now - a few weeks later - I can see pad marks!!!

Could someone help me understand:

1. What I did wrong
    2. How I could have told I was doing it at the time given it looked first-class when I just did it
    3. How to avoid doing it again
    4. How to get rid of the marks now

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED!
    Help! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot-img_5195-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot

To put it simply, I would’ve used a less aggressive pad and made more passes… Wool is pretty nuclear, I only use it when I’m trying to clear up wet sanding.
    Glen -

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wool pad is very aggressive, definitely need to follow up with a foam pad. You might not have noticed the issues at first due to fillers in Uno Protect, once that wore off you see the true condition.

Polish again with a foam pad, either yellow foam or white if your paint is soft, then it will look much better. Make sure to use plenty of pads, many beginners think it's possible to do a whole car with 1 pad.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ben4 View Post

I used Uno Protect and a yellow wool pad and when I finished, it looked stunning! but now - a few weeks later - I can see pad marks!!!
    What did you use as a polisher?

Regardless - see what I wrote here,

Fibers are a form of abrasive - Foam Pads vs Microfiber Pads by Mike Phillips

The way to fix it is to re-do the entire car only this time use a foam polishing pad with the UNO Protect and an orbital polisher.

I would start by doing a Test Spot to make sure your choice of pad, tool and product removed the defects BEFORE buffing out the entire car.

If you used a rotary polisher then these would be called holograms. If you used an orbital then this is called micro-marring and the pattern is called shadow-effect.

7. Thanks ollever thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, Jayfro, ollever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much everyone for your help.

I used the Bigfoot RO and to be honest, I chose the yellow wool based on a Rupes YouTube video that recommended it could be used as a single stage quick detail (Express Enhancement - [RUPES Replies Season 02 Episode 08] - YouTube)…

I did even do a test spot but the problem was the Uni Protect completely hid the marring :/

I’ll go over it with the white foam pad then? Any tips on how much pressure to apply would be great too!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What did you use as a polisher?

Regardless - see what I wrote here,

Fibers are a form of abrasive - Foam Pads vs Microfiber Pads by Mike Phillips

The way to fix it is to re-do the entire car only this time use a foam polishing pad with the UNO Protect and an orbital polisher.

I would start by doing a Test Spot to make sure your choice of pad, tool and product removed the defects BEFORE buffing out the entire car.

If you used a rotary polisher then these would be called holograms. If you used an orbital then this is called micro-marring and the pattern is called shadow-effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much everyone and thanks Mike for your thorough reply!

I used a Bigfoot 15 RO but I followed the quick detail Rupes advise here: Express Enhancement - [RUPES Replies Season 02 Episode 08] - YouTube

I guess wool pads were too aggressive but there was no way I could see the marring despite doing a test spot because the Uno Protect hid the marks!

Do you reckon a white foam pad then? Any suggestion for how much pressure please?

Thank you again!

Mike Phillips

Do you reckon a white foam pad then?
    The RUPES white foam pad is a soft finishing pad - together with the RUPES UNO Protect it "might" remove the micro-marring.

If it were me? I'd use the yellow RUPES pad and together with the RUPES UNO Protect that should get it.

Any suggestion for how much pressure please?
    With any brand of long stroke, free-spinning random orbital polisher the general rule-of-thumb is just light pressure. Basically a little more downward pressure than the weight of the tool. This can be a tick tricky when buffing out vertical panels because at the same time you're pressing the tool against the panel you're also holding the tool up against gravity and moving it.

Also - watch for pad rotation and pad stalling. I personally find the most effective paint correction with free spinning tools of any brand or throw is with both pad oscillation and pad rotation.

There's a YouTube video with Todd Helme, myself and Jason Brennen where Todd gives tips and technique to maintain pad rotation.

11. Likes ollever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s really helpful, thanks Mike! Top man, have a great day ����

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks,

OK - I did as Mike said and used yellow foam pad and Uno Protect and re-did the car. Now it looks stunning again but how can I be sure it won't go back to how it was when the Uno wears off?

I tried using CarPro Eraser to remove the uno on a test area but it didn't seem to make any visible difference - either it didn't remove it or the yellow pad's done the job... BUT how can I tell?!

I have also tried looking using a Scangrip light and I can see horizontal marks which are too deep to remove (where my wife has driven through hedges) but no machine marks I can tell. Does this also indicate it's fixed?

Sorry if this is basic - I am a novice :-)

Thanks.

Photos:

Help! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot-img1-jpgHelp! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot-img2-jpgHelp! I made a bit of a mess with a Bigfoot-img_5304-jpg

14. Likes ollever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it while it looks good. If you notice it again when the Uno Protect wears, come back.

16. Likes fly07sti liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast